RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,824
Currently online: 572
Newest member: Frazier101

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old January 4 2014, 12:48 PM   #466
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile
Re: Voyager again, for the first time

Reaper was so good. I keep meaning to give Rookie Blue a go, on the sole reason of Missy Peregrym. And I kinda love Cop shows.

Drone.
An interesting spin. Borg drone with 29th Century tech. His portrayal as an information hungry child is great, and Seven's ascent into accidental motherhood was done brilliantly. The ending is about the only one possible. What surprised me was that we're now in Season 5 and this is the Borg's second proper appearance after Scorpion. I know the reputation of Voyager is to pile them on, but it obviously comes a lot later than expected.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 10:17 AM   #467
NightJim
Commander

Extreme Risk

Wow Guy, you weren't kidding. B'elanna's been lumping around non-feelings for a bloody long time. No wonder Tom went off on one.

However, the same problem with Doctor Bashir is raised here. Siddig has complained that he only found out about the twist of him being genetically engineered when that scriptwas delivered. It looks the same here with Roxanne Biggs. Some of the writers clearly didn't know either. Just go back to the start of Drone when Seven mentions building a new shuttle and Torres gets all excited about, and the episode with Tom going off the deep end, she's trying to reach out. Obviously that one was a different series, so I get how they missed that one, but at least the two episodes before this could have had a distant B'elanna in it.

Other than that though, a good episode.
Old January 5 2014, 10:48 AM   #468
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I like Rookie Blue but there is no doubt that it's incredibly light weight.

And for some unbeknownst reason (BLAME CANADA!) its fricKing littered with
Smallville actors and actresses.

5 years on, and they're all still Rookies.

Sounds like "Planet of the Harry Kims".

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 12:24 PM   #469
NightJim
Commander

In the Flesh
8472, went from rampaging monster, to possibly misunderstood, to able to take human form and practically signing a treaty... that was quick. Other than the neutering of a fantastic alien race, not bad. The approach of 8472 was great, and the production kept you guessing for a good long time about just what was happening. Chakotay macking on a 8472 was interesting, and really shows how open-minded Starfleet can be

Once Upon a Time
Erm.... really? I don't mind the 'growth spurt' of Naomi, if any show can excuse it it's Star Trek. She's part alien, job done. Other than that... not really a fan of this episode. The kid does a pretty decent job, and I like the touches of some of the humans remembering their time in the holodeck with the characters.
Old January 6 2014, 09:19 PM   #470
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The kid comes back a lot. You'll come to enjoy her sugary goodness.

She like Kim, if Kim wasn't a fully grown man without any excuses to act like a tiny child.

(Although, if you want to see her as a complete bitch, Scarlet played the youngest daughter in 180 episodes of Reba.)

Chakotay, didn't just mack out with an 8472, she was also a Cylon.

Fricking triple agents.

Old January 7 2014, 11:30 AM   #471
NightJim
Commander

That's where I knew her from! That was bugging me the entire time I was watching it.

Timeless

HEY LaForge As a captain no less. I have to admit, I expected another Prometheus rather than a Galaxy class. LaForge as a Galaxy class Captain is cool for reasons, and that first shot of it passing over the camera made me double take and smile, but 15 years later, is LaForge got an old model?

On top of that little cameo an excellent episode, I love these time travel ones, and the opening again was played just right. The solution of ripping Seven's dead head open to transmit a signal back in time was nicely dark, and the prop that the doc was holding supported that, all without them actually addressing it. This was a very nice episode.

Oh and another ten years off the travel time. They're really starting to knock those miles down. It's like someone realised they were a few years in, better start ramping up their distance travelled.

Infinite Regress
Bloody hell. Jeri Ryan acting masterclass. The way she shifts personalities in seconds is quite a feat.
Old January 7 2014, 11:38 AM   #472
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I wanted to see her full time as a Ferengi after that.

Kate Vernon had a spectrum where she could play very young, and very old, relative to her actual age.

Ellen Tigh and Val Archer where at opposite ends of that spectrum.

Old January 8 2014, 06:18 AM   #473
exodus
Fleet Admiral

NightJim wrote: View Post

Once Upon a Time
Erm.... really? I don't mind the 'growth spurt' of Naomi, if any show can excuse it it's Star Trek. She's part alien, job done. Other than that... not really a fan of this episode. The kid does a pretty decent job, and I like the touches of some of the humans remembering their time in the holodeck with the characters.
I liked this one, it really showed why Neelix is so messed up due to his parents dying. It explains why he was so attached to Kes(whos parents were dead too) and why he feels a desperate need to care for everyone. He's like Bruce Wayne, showing the world a smiling face but going home each night, sitting in the dark crying because he's trapped in a moment.

Plus, I think the advice Tuvok gives Sam Wildman about the future of Niomi without her is one of the best heartfelt moments in the series. Too overlook it is a crime IMO.
Old January 8 2014, 08:04 AM   #474
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Yes yes!! Neelix IS Bruce Wayne!!!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 01:20 PM   #475
NightJim
Commander

Yes. Give Neelix a cape and he's sorted. BatTalaxian!

Fair point on Tuvok speech. That was really good. And the delve into Neelix psychosis was interesting, but the rest of the episode let it down. A good ten minutes out of a 45 minute show isn't good enough. Especially when you compare it to the shows either side of it.
Old January 10 2014, 01:18 PM   #476
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post
Yes yes!! Neelix IS Bruce Wayne!!!
You're pressing my rage button.
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 03:33 PM   #477
NightJim
Commander

Nothing Human

A good take on the ethical problems of medical science, and obvious problems of things we learnt from the Nazis after WW2. My only problem was that the guy was programmed according to written history, so his stance wouldn't be quite so similar to the real version. I dunno, just that bit didn't sit right.

Also love the fact that we have such an alien alien.
Old January 10 2014, 06:59 PM   #478
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I'd like to see if they decided to get rid of their phasers, if they found that their inventor, Mr Phaser, had been a secret serial killer?

Old January 10 2014, 11:26 PM   #479
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

There are un-secret serial killers? OH, yeah, world leaders and such.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2014, 04:14 AM   #480
exodus
Fleet Admiral

NightJim wrote: View Post
Yes. Give Neelix a cape and he's sorted. BatTalaxian!

Fair point on Tuvok speech. That was really good. And the delve into Neelix psychosis was interesting, but the rest of the episode let it down. A good ten minutes out of a 45 minute show isn't good enough. Especially when you compare it to the shows either side of it.
True, but I'm not going to deny Ethan Philips or Tim Ross for doing a stand up performance. They get denied so much credit normally, for this they deserve their moment in the sun.