Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old December 23 2013, 06:37 AM   #451
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Voyager again, for the first time

The great Michael Ansara as a technomage...

Elric: As I look at you, Ambasador Mollari, I see a great hand reaching out of the stars. The hand is your hand. And I hear sound; the sounds of billions of people calling your name.
Ambassador Londo Mollari: My followers?
Elric: Your victims.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2013, 06:40 AM   #452
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

Elric: As I look at you, Ambasador Mollari, I see a great hand reaching out of the stars. The hand is your hand. And I hear sound; the sounds of billions of people calling your name.
My favorite speech from the series is from G'kar about people's need to be free. The show would have been a total waste without G'kar & Londo.
Old December 23 2013, 06:52 AM   #453
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Mine is Delenn breaking the Grey Council in Severed Dreams

Old December 23 2013, 08:36 AM   #454
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

exodus wrote: View Post

teacake wrote: View Post
Yes because apparently all deep seated feuds and hatreds are really that simplistic
Well, what exactly were the Bloods and Crips fighting over anyway?
Probably drug territory these days. Money. Makes more sense than being randomly assigned a colour scarf and that makes person A your enemy and person B your friend.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

And... here we go, teacake will now plug for the umpteenth time the Technomage trilogy by Jeanne Cavelos which is one of the greatest things I've ever read.

http://www.amazon.com/Casting-Shadow...ref=pd_sim_b_2

Don't read reviews, there be spoilers!!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2013, 08:55 AM   #455
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Centauri Trilogy is better.

(But we have had this conversation before.)

Old December 23 2013, 08:56 AM   #456
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

And I still haven't read that.

Yes.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 11:29 AM   #457
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

I've often thought about reading some of the Babylon 5 books, simply because it seems to be the only franchise that embraced them. JMS seemed to regard them the same as episodes, which is a rare thing. Buffy may have now, but that's years later and it's unlikely to happen anywhere but comics now.

Anyway, The Killing Game

Is it me or did the Hirogen shrink? I got the impression that they were meant to be eight foot odd in their previous episodes, and now they're back to standard human size. From a budget point of view I get it, but it seems poor and silly, especially as these Hirogen eps are coming one after the other.

Also, isn't "Voyager's already been overrun and this is the story of how they take it back" trope getting a little tired now. It happens at least once a season if not more.

At least the Hirogen using the ship as a giant holodeck was interesting, and the leader wanting to find a new path for his race offered a good reason to do so.

Also, why go to all the trouble of making the crew look like Klingons for that scenario but not for the WW2 one. It was just inconsistent, either do it for both or neither. I'm sure Dawson would have been happy with not bothering with the forehead as well as showing her pregnancy off.

The overloading of the holoprojectors seemed pointless. It was a good tactic by Kim to end things, but by the time it actually happened there didn't seem to be a need, the crew were back in control, the Klingons were taking out the Nazis, job was done. Kim was just creating more work to be fixed.

Killing Game was bombastic fun but little in the way of a decent story.
NightJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 05:00 PM   #458
NightJim
Commander

Vis a Vis

Finally something without the Hirogen. I think the fact the show rammed them down your throat for a good few episodes. Course they had one break, and if this is just another one episode away from them I'll scream.

Not bad, other than the fact that Paris just seems to randomly acting like a teenager for the start of the episode it wasn't bad. Cool alien anyway.
Old December 30 2013, 05:46 PM   #459
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The off thing is that despite claiming to be the rock in his relationship... It's B'Elanna who is going mental off camera and inbetween different scenes, but you'll figure that you in a few episodes.

Old December 31 2013, 11:38 AM   #460
NightJim
Commander

lol fair enough.

Onwards with The Omega Directive

This was an episode I could really get behind, it felt properly part of Star Trek. With my lack of knowledge about TOS I half wondered if it was a semi-sequel to an episode there, and I loved the shoutout to Carol Marcus in Janeway's log. Seven's slide back into Borg culture as she's given a team to run, all good character moments against a nice science problem and moral debate about how to proceed. The aliens only started shooting to add a ticking clock to the end of the episode. I really enjoyed it.

Two things that confused me was the ending. Seven made some serious forward movements with dealing with Omega Particles, up to this point Starfleet had the stance of destroy them before they do any damage. Now they had actual data that might give them a decent understanding of them. Yet Janeway deleted it all because it was classified. That's a serious step backwards and totally against character. On a similar front why did they blow particles when they stabilised? I know none of them expected to be able to do it, but the fact was they did, so the need to blow them up was gone...

Also, as I have no life at the minute, this new year's eve might end up being a Voyager marathon.
Old December 31 2013, 02:08 PM   #461
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's 2.04 am Jan 1st down here, and I wished I had stayed home.

Expensive and unsatisfying.

You'd almost wonder if Seven could have "tagged" Harry as unworthy of assimilation?

If she did that with the whole ship or endless planets, the collective would think "GFY" but if all an Assimilation party find is just the one guy on the entire ship out of everyone listed as a massive dud, maybe they would take her at her word?

Old January 2 2014, 10:53 AM   #462
NightJim
Commander

The New Year Marathon was just three episodes.

Unforgettable
Like the idea of an alien race whose pheromones make you forget them when not in their presence and their entire culture has formed up around that. Very nice concept. The Chakotay story is OK, but the ending speech by Neelix was a bit too syrupy.

Living Witness
I like the alt history, all the fun of the original Mirror Universe without worrying about the continuity of Mirror, Mirror. Most amusingly is that Kim is Lieutenant.

And that it's a history created by a race trying to justify their own part. Not a bad episode in all.

Demon
Yay, struggling for resources. I like this, but it feels like it came out of nowhere. They've not really had to worry about anything for a long time, then suddenly "We're out of power." Still nice episode, even if it was pretty obvious where it was going, nice to get a good resolution instead of the dupes just being straight up evil.
Old January 3 2014, 04:03 AM   #463
exodus
Fleet Admiral

NightJim wrote: View Post
I like this, but it feels like it came out of nowhere. They've not really had to worry about anything for a long time, then suddenly "We're out of power."
It's like in real life, when you forget to pay the electric bills.

NightJim wrote: View Post
Also, isn't "Voyager's already been overrun and this is the story of how they take it back" trope getting a little tired now. It happens at least once a season if not more.
Maybe but it's been the shows theme since "Caretaker".
In a region where everybody drives a Pinto, a stranger drives through town in a Mercedes.
Who wouldn't want it?
I think it feels over done cause they didn't drill home enough that due to Borg, Hirogen, Vidieen & other killers every where, the DQ is full of poverty and war. Voyager just wants to get home but to the natives of the DQ Voyager is an endless supply of food, weapons and medical care. Voyager is nothing to us but something of extreme power to them.

Last edited by exodus; January 3 2014 at 04:19 AM.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 02:09 PM   #464
NightJim
Commander

See that's a good spin, and if that point had been made clear it would have been a lot more palatable. I guess they did try and make a deal out of it in the first series, but after passing through the Nekrit Expanse and think they needed to keep it up. That area made it clear why the Kazon and the Borg didn't meet, but it didn't make it clear that the place was still really screwed up.

Had another good mini marathon last night.

One
I liked it. A good way of bringing a bit of humanity to Seven. Force her to see that social interaction is a good thing by removing her from it all. I love these episodes that have the ship dealing with space phenomena in unique ways. It's another of those that Voyager is perfect for. Back in the Alpha Quadrant this place would be "Welp, that's lethal to organic material, time to throw some probes at it and move along." But for this crew it's "No way we're adding that much time to our trip. How do we go through?"

Hope and Fear
Ray Wise! Love this guy. Course soon as he turned up I knew the guy was dodgy. Wise doesn't play anyone nice ever. I mean he was the Devil at one point, and a brilliant one at that.

The Daedulus was a very nice ship, even if the Quantum Drive was a bit cheap. A nice end to the season that I'm amazed wasn't a two parter. Plus a short cut that managed to knock a month or two or the travel home. And the Seven/Janeway confrontation was pretty great too.

Night
Nice epic episode, that I suppose works well for a season opener. Feels like a lot happened here, what with Janeway losing the plot a little, the alien invasion quickly followed by
Another shortcut that knocked a whole two years off the trip. I get the feeling these shortcuts are going to start coming thick and fast because I remember a few and only had a few up to this point.

Which brings me nicely to a personal point.

Fun story. When I started this I was convinced I'd seen up to the end of Season 4. Obviously that being when they initially aired there's been episodes here and there that I missed, and most I just don't remember, conversely ones that I remember vividly, or at least have an inkling of seeing it before.

However, as I was heading towards the end of Season 4 one thing became clear. I saw more of Voyager then I thought. I remember the Equinox, the Delta Flyer and Captain Proton holodeck. While I've known some Captain Proton, it's not the one I remember. So by the look of things I've seen at least some of Season 5 as well.
Old January 4 2014, 02:43 AM   #465
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Ray Wise! Love this guy. Course soon as he turned up I knew the guy was dodgy. Wise doesn't play anyone nice ever. I mean he was the Devil at one point, and a brilliant one at that.
REAPER!!!!

Ahhh, how I miss Sok