RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,717
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 839
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 25 2013, 02:40 AM   #1
Janos
Commander

View Janos's Twitter Profile
DS9, Destiny & Typhon Pact

So I am almost caught up with my DS9 relaunch lit. I am finally starting Soul Key.

I am aware of the big changes that have happened pre and post Destiny in terms of the Star Trek TNG "era" lit. However, should I read Destiny (I have all 3 books already in my to-read pile) before I read Rough Beasts of the Empire? I plan to read Destiny anyway (at some point), but wonder if I can just push through the next few DS9: TP novels to get fully caught up to Brinksmanship and be ok.

Thanks!
Star Trek: New Frontier, DS9 relaunch & DTI lit fan
Janos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 02:50 AM   #2
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Re: DS9, Destiny & Typhon Pact

Yeah, you really should.

Even if you're staying totally DS9-centric, I'd still recommend at least Destiny and A Singular Destiny before starting Rough Beasts. Also be aware that a big DS9-relaunch subplot gets resolved in Paths Of Disharmony, which also features Shar. And if you read that, you might as well throw in the one TNG novel that takes place between Destiny and Paths, which is Losing The Peace. But I'd say Losing The Peace and Paths are optional; Destiny and A Singular Destiny are much more important.
Old February 25 2013, 03:14 AM   #3
Infern0
Captain

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Yeah, you really should.

Even if you're staying totally DS9-centric, I'd still recommend at least Destiny and A Singular Destiny before starting Rough Beasts. Also be aware that a big DS9-relaunch subplot gets resolved in Paths Of Disharmony, which also features Shar. And if you read that, you might as well throw in the one TNG novel that takes place between Destiny and Paths, which is Losing The Peace. But I'd say Losing The Peace and Paths are optional; Destiny and A Singular Destiny are much more important.
Disagree entirely, but that's just me.

That book gave me a headache.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 03:34 AM   #4
Janos
Commander

Yeah, you really should.

Cool. Thanks.

I have all the TNG novels since Battle for Betazed to Singular Destiny/Losing the Peace. In terms of Shar

I may pick up Paths of Disharmany, but I have all the other DS9-proper TP books.
Old February 25 2013, 03:41 AM   #5
Christopher
Writer

No, Shar did not transfer to that particular posting.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 03:55 AM   #6
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Janos wrote: View Post
Yeah, you really should.

Cool. Thanks.

I have all the TNG novels since Battle for Betazed to Singular Destiny/Losing the Peace. In terms of Shar

I may pick up Paths of Disharmany, but I have all the other DS9-proper TP books.
No, he's definitely a "guest star" in that novel, it's just a one-off resolving his particular story. If you didn't like Shar anyway, then don't worry about it
Old February 25 2013, 03:56 AM   #7
tomswift2002
Captain

As I recall, in "Soul Key" Shar is still on his vacation/"honeymoon" and isn't really mentioned. I think at that point Shar's storyline was kind of on vacation for a future book where he would probably have had some role in the currently missing Ascendants stories.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Janos
Commander

I just read the back covers of the Destiny books and recall that Ezri is prominantly featured on the cover to the first one and noted in the back cover blurbs. I guess my Q that started this post was silly. Sorry. I'm all for reading Singular Destiny since I'm a KRAD fan, but folks here are indicating it sets up TP?
Old February 25 2013, 04:01 PM   #9
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Yes, it does. It also features the Aventine again, if that helps
Old February 25 2013, 04:08 PM   #10
Paris
Fleet Captain

Janos wrote: View Post
... I'm all for reading Singular Destiny since I'm a KRAD fan, but folks here are indicating it sets up TP?
The Typhon Pact makes its first appearance in KRAD's A Singular Destiny.

EDIT: Thrawn beat me to it
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote