Shatner Starts New Website
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Rumor Mill: Star Trek III Title
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Siddig: Getting And Playing The Role Of Martell
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Mulgrew: Why Born With Teeth
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old August 21 2014, 01:24 AM   #376
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Yeah, I am sure the filmmakers/studio execs are kicking themselves for killing off Gwen Stacy now.
Old August 21 2014, 01:38 AM   #377
DWF
Vice Admiral

If anything they'd be kicking themselves for editing Shailene Woodley out of the movie givne how big she's become. But Gwen's death is an important part of the Spider-Man mythos and really nobody'd see a Gwen Stacy spinoff.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2014, 01:58 AM   #378
Christopher
Writer

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Yeah, I am sure the filmmakers/studio execs are kicking themselves for killing off Gwen Stacy now.
It's comics, though -- they can resurrect anyone (except Uncle Ben).

Interesting column that touches on this subject:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...es-their-move/
Well, you think outside the box and maximize all your best assets and go with Emma Stone as Gwen Stacey as Spider-Woman. It’s not that hard to resurrect her from the dead in some Spider-y way that ends up with her having Spider superpowers. And comics have actually paved the way a bit here as Gwen Stacey is debuting in Marvel’s “Spider-Verse” shortly as an alt reality Spider-Woman. She even has an utterly fantastic costume (see above by Chris Samnee and colorist Jordie Bellaire).
It doesn’t seem like much of a stretch to go out on a limb to bet on bankable star Emma Stone plus the popularity of her version of Gwen Stacy plus general Spider-Man popularity, right? A female led superhero film is gonna be some level of risk no matter what, so why not take all these things that already work and make something wonderful and new?

Anyway, I would THROW ALL MY MONEY at that movie. Even if they screw it up, which let’s face it, it’s Sony and superheroes, the odds are reasonable they will screw it up, it would still be pretty exciting to see.
Old August 21 2014, 03:54 PM   #379
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Well, they did bring back Ben years ago. Or was that some Ben from another Universe? I can't remember.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2014, 11:59 PM   #380
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Did Peter get to have a brief visit with Uncle Ben's spirit/ghost in something like ASM #600? It was a milestone issue IIRC.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2014, 12:33 AM   #381
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ Well, Martin Sheen thought he'd be back...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 02:21 AM   #382
Dream
Admiral

Unamazing: How Sony has sabotaged Spider-Man
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 04:28 AM   #383
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I think maybe the ASM team felt burned by the level of complaints that ASM1 just rehashed SM1, even though it had a different heroine and no on-screen Osborns. But they also realized that, in order to give Peter a personal edge to his villain confrontations, a peer Harry would be more compelling than an older, aloof Norman. Trouble is, if they just made a straightforward, simple sequel, only introducing Harry and building him up to a Goblin figure, there'd be even more complaints about rehashing the past. So they added Electro and teases for a Sinister team and all that to balance old and new elements, plus the return of Peter's dad for some baffling reason (but, it would also have been novel). The resulting movie, therefore, ended up both overstuffed and narratively rushed.

I could be totally wrong about that. It could be they thought they were making a stupendous, self-assured flick. But I kind of doubt it.

Among modern comics movies, only the X-series is as old as the Spider-Man series, and they've had more characters, settings, and time periods to play around in. So it's not that surprising to see some signs of franchise fatigue and self-repetition...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2014, 11:39 AM   #384
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

"Turn back time!"
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2014, 11:56 AM   #385
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

There was a Robot Chicken, I think, where Spider-Man shot webs from his anus, and swung from those butwebs.

Did you ever read Mary-Jane Loves Spider-Man?

It was just a Manga teen love story where Mary Jane does not know what the #### she wants, and way, way off in the background is Spider-Man fighting creepy old dudes.

It's actually what happened in High-school which Peter was too busy to take notice of.

Although really...

You want a Spider-plot with Substance.

The Superior Spider-Man.

Doctor Octopus taken over Peter's body after a mindswap, trying to be a goodie.

That shit was hilarious.

I have not enjoyed any Spider-Man movie made since 1980.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2014, 06:39 PM   #386
Doctorwhovian
Captain

Problem with the Sinister Six movie trying to redeem them-with the exception of Ock becoming "Superior" and sorta redeeming himself, and Sandman's ocassional heroic turns, have any of the other Sinister Six members ever really become 'good guys'?'

Maybe it'll be something like X-men's Freedom Force, or the Thunderbolts.
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2014, 09:01 PM   #387
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Electro... Always been a dick.

Rhino... Got super smart in that Webspinners anthology during a Tears for Algernon homage... And in Death's Head II, in an alternate future timeline, not only was he a good guy, but She-Hulks boyfriend.

Scorpion.... Always been a dick.

Kraven... He hunts people for sport, but he's independently wealthy, so it's really questionable if he is wanted by the law as a super villain if he's not the type to rob banks.

Green Goblin... The Iron Patriot? In the current animated, Norman was sane and cured, and the Patriot was a sincere attempt at being a good guy until he got Goblined up again. Moonstone was screwing with his meds (Warren Ellis was writing) when he was running the Thunderbolts because it was funny to watch his poles blink back and forth... Recently in the comics, the Goblin Juice was taken from his system, which might mean no healing, and no super strength, but: "Just you wait Spider-Man! You have no idea what you have unleashed! You've never fought the real Norman Osborn before, just some deranged mentally unstable incompetent. I will destroy you!" (Shakes fist at a crack of thunder.)

Vulture. Always been a dick. There have been other Vultures. Most were still also bad, but I think one of them was a goodie. They didn't last long. I think Adrian literally ripped one of their faces off while diving at him at 200 mph.

Mysterio... Always been a dick. Dicks. There have been a couple blokes under the fish-bowl.

Venom... Eddie thought he was a hero? Flash is a hero.

Sandman... He was in the Avengers, and then Doctor Octopus? Someone (John Byrne!) tied him to a chair and brainwashed him into being a super villain again. Sandman is in prison with Ben Grimm presently in Fantastic Four. There's a possibility of a new heroic streak in the guy, since Ben is on the ropes and needs a friend.

Boomerang's Sinister Six in the Superior Foes of Spider-Man is a laugh and half. Still bad guys, but they are just such epic fuckups that you have to silently root for them as they cock up into a new series of bizarre cross purposes each month.

Old September 25 2014, 12:27 AM   #388
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Rhino and Scorpion had moments where we saw they weren't total dicks. But the rest...yeah, I'm thinking it'd be more of a Suicide Squad deal for them.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2014, 01:09 AM   #389
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Of course right this Second, Electro was just cured?

(BlackCat had the outcome pivot, but I think she striped him by her endgame.)

Max Dillion is a civilian again.

It was funny a month earlier, the Eel was making a powerplay (Hey "Pun": Fuck off!) as the master of electricity supervillain, when he was checked and counted by his opposition forging an alliance with Electro. FUNNY!

You would have to wonder if Electro, when he gets his powers back, might be an answer to Magneto's problems with being a light weight. Of course, Eric has been proving for the last 10 months that it is his will as a man that gets the job done and not his power as a mutant.