Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 11 2014, 12:39 AM   #361
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

They also did it in the Ultimate comics, except there it turned out that "Richard" was really an aged up clone of Peter meant to lure him into a trap.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 01:30 AM   #362
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ Both sound awful, and make excellent arguments against ever doing it again.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 05:39 AM   #363
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Doctorwhovian wrote: View Post
The parents actually did return in the comics during the early 90s.
However, they turned out to be evil robots created by the Chameleon & Green Goblin (Harry version). It was typical 90's excess though.
And there's a reason why they have rarely been mentioned ever again. No one cares. Not in the comics, not in the films. The Parkers are dead weight.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 06:52 AM   #364
fireproof78
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, the thing is, I'm not looking at Gwen as merely "Peter's relationship." My interest in her isn't about him, it's about her. She's a great protagonist in her own right in these movies. Heck, I'd watch a movie that was just about her.
I agree with this point.

I enjoyed this film a lot, and even though I knew what would happen to Gwen (potentially) I was surprised that they went through with it.

For me, this was a very character driven movie, with Peter and Gwen's relationship carry it the most of the way through. It was nice to see Peter weighing the consequences of trying to keep his promise and his love for Gwen.

Harry was a very interesting and haunted character. I was surprised at Goblin being in so soon, but it worked with Harry's character arc.

Despite juggling several plot lines it the movie moved a long at a good pace and I was surprised at the ending coming up so soon.

My only complaints would be the defeat of Electro and how much Peter's parents' story influence the plot line.

Overall, really enjoyed this film. Fun ride
fireproof78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 07:40 AM   #365
Dream
Admiral

Deleted Scene

It was all over the trailers, but not in the movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1zTQq8U__U
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 05:34 PM   #366
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

So, ASM2 comes to DVD/BD today.

That's.... That's not a great sign considering it came out in May.

Meanwhile, Captain America 2 isn't due on home video until September when it came out in theaters in March.
Old August 19 2014, 06:08 PM   #367
Ethros
Vice Admiral

ASM2 isn't out till September 1st here in the UK, whereas Cap 2 just came out on DVD/Blu-ray here yesterday. Picked up my copy this morning
And I'll definitely be getting ASM2 in a fortnight. It was a fun movie, I'll happily watch it again
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 06:39 PM   #368
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I don't even own TASM1, it's uneven and mediocre. The sequel just went downhill and for me is GL type quality. I don't own GL and I've seen that for $4 at Target before.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 06:59 PM   #369
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Meanwhile, Captain America 2 isn't due on home video until September when it came out in theaters in March.

It is available for Digital HD streaming today.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 08:05 AM   #370
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Richard Parker coming back from the dead would have been beyond stupid. I can't believe that made it to the filming stage. That just goes to show the ineptitude of the filmmakers that are currently making these movies.

No offense to them or anyone that enjoys these movies, but bringing back Richard Parker might have worked in the last one or the next one, but bringing him back after killing off Gwen Stacy would have felt too much like an off-the-wall twist to elicit a response from the audience - and it would have detracted from Peter coping with Gwen's loss.

To be honest, I was never a fan of the Parkers from the comics or their storyline. I hope that storyline has been resolved in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, allowing Peter to move on from that. Whoever ends up making Amazing Spider-Man 3 should feel a little happy, though. They have somewhat of a clean slate. The Richard/Mary Parker storyline has been hopefully resolved, Gwen Stacy is (unfortunately) gone, leaving the door open for someone like Mary Jane Watson or Felicia Hardy to appear. Personally, I hope they leave Mary Jane for the absolute end (she should appear in the very last scene of the film) and Felicia should be the love interest. It would shake things up and give Peter/Spider-Man someone a bit different to pine after for a change. That's just me, though.
Old August 20 2014, 08:32 AM   #371
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Felicia Hardy already has appeared, she was Harry's secretary. The film-makers said they were supposed to have a thing going on.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 11:01 AM   #372
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

I know Felicia Hardy appeared. I meant Gwen's death opens the door for her to possibly have a bigger, more prominent role.
Old August 20 2014, 10:03 PM   #373
Aldo
Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I know Felicia Hardy appeared. I meant Gwen's death opens the door for her to possibly have a bigger, more prominent role.
Unless you know, they put Mary Jane into the third one. And I have no doubt they'll do that because she's a popular character from the comics and I'm sure Sony will be pressing the issue:

"We need a hit Mr. Webb! Put in that MJ broad that the comical book readers seem to love."*

*In my mind the Sony execs are out of touch with reality.
Old August 20 2014, 10:35 PM   #374
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Oh, I totally agree with you.

I'm sure MJ will be the love interest. Even though having Felicia as the love interest would be more interesting. That's honestly why I have no faith in these movies - the people making the decisions don't seem to have a grasp on what works and what doesn't. Alas.
Old August 21 2014, 01:11 AM   #375
Christopher
Writer

Well, the characters in ASM2 -- at least the protagonists -- worked extremely well. There has never been a more perfect translation of Spider-Man as a character to the live-action screen, and Gwen Stacy was so awesome that they should've kept her alive and given her a spinoff. It's just the plot and the villains that weren't so great.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote