RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,631
Currently online: 437
Newest member: vicky013

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 21 2014, 07:44 AM   #316
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Christopher wrote: View Post
Silly powers and silly origins are just part of comics.
No question.

What made the Marvel Universe work is that it combined those silly elements with believable characterization and human drama.
And that's why I didn't like this version of Electro.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 11:48 PM   #317
Pauln6
Commodore

Overall it was a fun movie. I thought the pace was a bit slow and they need to be careful to keep the villains on the right side of camp (i.e. less camp than Batman & Robin). Captain America 2 did a way better job of pacing but I like the fact that they have a clearer plot arc involved this time around culminating it seems in the Sinister Six? The previous franchise would have benefited from a clearer arc with Venom being the fourth movie and Sinister Six the fifth.

I love, love, love Emma Stone's Gwen and nice cameo by Felicia (fingers crossed). However, not enough Spidey humour, Aunt May was a believable character but she just feels too out of her depth all the time, and I felt a pang of disappointment that Norman Osborn wasn't involved more. As far as villain origins go, sitting through a laborious slog involving Peter's parents is bad enough. Villains with quick and simple origins should allow us more meat on the bones.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 02:26 AM   #318
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Well, this version of Electro was more than the D-List buffoon he usually is in the comics so I don't what the complaints are for this version. Sure, he's kind of a psycho stalker but that's still more interesting than a random buffoon.

As for Venom, you actually CAN do the entire Symbiote story in ONE movie, but it requires some random villains for Spidey to fight and for there to be a bit of build-up with Eddie Brock.

Hell, the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon just eliminated Brock entirely (which makes sense) and turned Harry into Venom instead.

I think that might work for this version as well.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 06:13 PM   #319
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I enjoyed this. I went in with low expectations on the back of middling reviews and a sense of "how can it top Captain America: TWS?" But while not perfect, it was fun. Garfield is even better in this one than the previous one and, for me anyway, wipes away memories of Toby Maguire. Great chemistry with Stone.

Dane DeHaan is great and competes admirably with Willem Dafoe (he definitely gets a better suit). Jamie Foxx does his best with a thinly written role and Paul Giamatti makes the most of his limited screen time. The 3D is pretty decent and the action sequences are very well done. A lot of reviews have suggested that after 5 movies there is limited mileage in seeing Spidey swing through the skies but it still gets me every time.

Better than Raimi's first and third film and its own predecessor but arguably the previous Spider-man with a 2 in its title remains the one to beat.

So is this movie not getting its own designated review thread then?
Old April 22 2014, 07:03 PM   #320
Christopher
Writer

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Garfield is even better in this one than the previous one and, for me anyway, wipes away memories of Toby Maguire.
He did that for me last time. The Raimi films basically changed Peter Parker's character to fit Tobey Maguire, so he never really felt like Peter to me. Garfield is actually playing Peter Parker, albeit an edgier Peter than I'm used to.

The 3D is pretty decent and the action sequences are very well done. A lot of reviews have suggested that after 5 movies there is limited mileage in seeing Spidey swing through the skies but it still gets me every time.
I've only recently discovered that I'm able to see 3D movies (I'd thought my vision problems in my left eye would preclude it, but they don't), so I've never seen a Spidey movie in 3D. But I saw the ASM2 trailer in 3D when I went to see Desolation of Smaug, and it looked spectacular. I'm really looking forward to seeing the whole movie in 3D.

So is this movie not getting its own designated review thread then?
It hasn't come out in the US yet. I expect it'll get a review thread once it does.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 07:15 PM   #321
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^I didn't know it wasn't yet out in the USA. I'm sort of surprised, because groups I follow on Facebook and twitter have been posting spoilers all over the place (they've been careful to warn in headlines, in fairness) and I assumed there had been a US release. But I suppose there are no international boundaries where the Internet is concerned.

I do recommend the 3D showing Christopher. Not every film benefits from it but I thought the 3D in this and TAS was very good.
Old April 22 2014, 07:43 PM   #322
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Haven't we had REVIEW/DISCUSSION threads for films before when they were released a week or two in advance overseas?

Usually the OPs for such threads have a fairly decent track record for putting SPOILERS in the title and in the first post stating it's not out yet globally "read at your own risk".
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 08:28 PM   #323
Christopher
Writer

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^I didn't know it wasn't yet out in the USA. I'm sort of surprised, because groups I follow on Facebook and twitter have been posting spoilers all over the place (they've been careful to warn in headlines, in fairness) and I assumed there had been a US release. But I suppose there are no international boundaries where the Internet is concerned.
This morning I saw a spoiler for a crucial event at the end of the movie, but it's one that I and plenty of others had already deduced was going to happen.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 10:02 PM   #324
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ That 'spoiler' you're referring to was never really a spoiler at all since Webb and Co. never tried to keep the fact that it was going to happen a secret.

Calling it a spoiler is like calling the Knave of Hearts being Will Scarlet a spoiler when Michael Socha was very upfront about that fact long before OUaTiW premiered.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 10:17 PM   #325
Aldo
Admiral

Is said spoiler a major event that happened in the comics too? In that case I deduced it a long time ago.

Last edited by Aldo; April 22 2014 at 10:56 PM.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 10:44 PM   #326
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Yes.
Those set pics of her essentially spoiled it.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2014, 01:19 AM   #327
JD
Admiral

So it does happen then.
Old April 26 2014, 03:11 PM   #328
Ethros
Vice Admiral

I didn't realise this wasn't out in the US two weeks after the UK, usually its just one week.

Anyway, saw it last night. I'll admit I was pretty meh about the first movie, and indeed I haven't seen it again since I first saw it two years ago. I did however think this one was a massive improvement, really enjoyed. Mainly just for Spider-Man himself; he looks, well, sorry but- amazing! Totally feels like he's come straight of the page, esp with all his wisecracks etc. Loved his first little meeting with Jamie Foxx's character

It sagged a bit two thirds in but made up for it by the barnstorming ending.
My main criticism however is the trailers. Jesus, pretty much everything is given away in them! It's unbelievable, but then so depressingly obvious all Sony care about whatsoever is as much $$$ as possible through getting as many bums on seats as they can.

I'll spoiler code this in case some are super sensitive, but its not that big of a spoiler, just what its the trailers but where it's placed in the movie...

Last edited by Ethros; April 26 2014 at 03:21 PM.
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 04:23 PM   #329
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Ethros wrote: View Post
I didn't realise this wasn't out in the US two weeks after the UK, usually its just one week.

Anyway, saw it last night. I'll admit I was pretty meh about the first movie, and indeed I haven't seen it again since I first saw it two years ago. I did however think this one was a massive improvement, really enjoyed. Mainly just for Spider-Man himself; he looks, well, sorry but- amazing! Totally feels like he's come straight of the page, esp with all his wisecracks etc. Loved his first little meeting with Jamie Foxx's character

It sagged a bit two thirds in but made up for it by the barnstorming ending.
My main criticism however is the trailers. Jesus, pretty much everything is given away in them! It's unbelievable, but then so depressingly obvious all Sony care about whatsoever is as much $$$ as possible through getting as many bums on seats as they can.

I'll spoiler code this in case some are super sensitive, but its not that big of a spoiler, just what its the trailers but where it's placed in the movie...

That really bothered me as well. I was hoping that the shots of Doc Ock's arms and the Vulture equipment would just be a taster, and in the actual film we'd get to see the other outfits and stuff but it was just those two.

And yeah, I followed the movie on Facebook and pretty much all of their promos were about Gwen and they had a whole thing about "Gwen's Day" so it doesn't take a genius to put together what storyline they're adapting.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 12:08 AM   #330
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
My main criticism however is the trailers. Jesus, pretty much everything is given away in them!
Yeah, this is one of the most "Who cares what we spoil" advertizing campaigns I've seen for a while.

And just like the first film, the trailers are loaded to the gills with lines/shots/subplots that didn't make it into the final film. I know that happens a fair bit, but the ASM movies seem to be doing it more than most.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote