Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 19 2014, 06:24 PM   #301
Aldo
Admiral

Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
i'd normally agree.. but we're talking about a guy that gained the power to shoot electricity by being in a vat with electric eels!

Really?
But it's a comic book movie. Some silliness is always present, what matters is in how they pull it off. That's the difference between silly and cool.
Old April 19 2014, 06:24 PM   #302
Christopher
Writer

And we're talking about a guy that gained the power to lift cars over his head and sense approaching danger by being bitten by a radioactive spider. What, really, is the difference in credibility?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 06:33 PM   #303
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

i'd normally agree.. but we're talking about a guy that gained the power to shoot electricity by being in a vat with electric eels!

Really?
That origin is from the SSM cartoon, which I believe is also where the idea of Gwen working for Connors comes from.
Old April 19 2014, 06:54 PM   #304
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Well, the difference is that Spider-Man is a cultural staple... as is Batman. But they can still come up with engaging stories that are not so pathetically asinine.

I'll admit I'm a G.I. Joe fan and Cobra has become more and more absurd! Sure, but there are limits.. especially the way Sony has been so in your face, that you HAVE to see this film, when it's villain is so stupid, and all Sony has to advertise it is a bunch of bright colors and CGI.

I don't know.. I just feel that Spider- Man is better than this. They should have gone all stupid and absurd, or they should have given him a real villain to contend with. They are playing the middle.

I mean, come on, the villain was in a vat with electric eels to gain the power to shoot electricity. t's like they are not even trying anymore
Old April 19 2014, 07:17 PM   #305
Christopher
Writer

I genuinely don't understand why you find electric eels in particular so problematical. Electric eels' ability to generate electricity is a truly remarkable evolutionary adaptation -- a real-life superpower, effectively. It's unsurprising that a company like the film's Oscorp, which is heavily involved in transgenic research, would be interested in the potential of electric-eel genetics. I would speculate, not having seen the film yet, that the "vat" might be filled not merely with water, but with some kind of mutagenic medium, or perhaps is undergoing some kind of process designed to extract the eels' electrocytes in some way, or whatever.

Of course it's fantasy, but there are many superhero and supervillain origins far more implausible or simplistic -- including Electro's origin in the comics. How can you get lazier than "struck by lightning" as a source of superpowers? At least the Flash's origin involved a bunch of chemicals. Max Dillon was just working on power lines. Why are you not condemning that for its laziness?

Old April 20 2014, 12:51 PM   #306
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I would speculate, not having seen the film yet, that the "vat" might be filled not merely with water, but with some kind of mutagenic medium, or perhaps is undergoing some kind of process designed to extract the eels' electrocytes in some way, or whatever.
There's no mention of it being anything other than water, but Max does drag some cables into the water when he falls*, so it's probably supposed to be an electric eel/straight-up electricity combo that creates him. Maybe.

*Although I'm not sure how he manages it, considering where they were and where he ends up.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 01:06 PM   #307
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Whether it's water or something else, it's pretty asinine. I understand that all comic book movies have a certain inherent silliness to them, that they have to pick a tone that works for them in that regard. I thought G.I Joe Retaliation found that tone and stuck to it.

But this new Spider-Man film is supposed to add drama and dimension the Spider-Man character. It's supposed to have that one vent from the comics that changes his life. It's supposed to set up numerous filmss, including the Sinuster Six, to build a Cinmeatic Universe. But this premise of a man who gains "kewl electrical powers from a vat of electric eels" doesn't seem far removed from the witless "man falls into chamber with sand and become Sandman" or m"man is injected with syrum and something goes wrong" like the first Green Goblin. All of these stupid villain origin stories might be similar in their silliness to Spidey's but that doesn't mean that they work, At all. Spidey's doesn't too but he's an established character from the comics and once you accept his origin and move him into films, his adversaries, and the sensibilities of storytelling, must move up a notch. Doc Oc also had a zany story but it was given a lot of heft by the actor. But I'm sorry I just don't see that happening here.. the electric eels sounds stupid. It would sound stupid even if I was a 12 year old Spidey fan. The game has changed for comic book films I think, and Electro's origin feels so much like a Bat and Robin type thing
Old April 20 2014, 01:32 PM   #308
Tosk
Rear Admiral

or man is injected with syrum and something goes wrong" like the first Green Goblin.
Old April 20 2014, 02:26 PM   #309
Christopher
Writer

"Syrum?" Is that, like, the serum that mutated Mrs. Butterworth?

Old April 20 2014, 06:13 PM   #310
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

It's only April and dealing with the spelling/grammar gods is already old.
Old April 20 2014, 06:18 PM   #311
Aldo
Admiral

It's only April and dealing with the spelling/grammar gods is already old.
Then don't make any typos.
Old April 21 2014, 12:11 AM   #312
JD
Admiral

I don't really see why this Electro original is so horrible. I find it a lot more interesting than what Christopher said his original origin was.
Old April 21 2014, 02:53 AM   #313
Tosk
Rear Admiral

It's easy to see why some consider it silly though.

Peter Parker was bitten by a genetically engineered spider, and gained strength and wall-crawling abilities. It rewrote his DNA to enhance his abilities.

Max Dillon was bitten by electric eels and on top of the ability to absorb and create electricity, (so far so good) he is also able to take solid form or travel as pure energy, along with his clothes.

Comic Electro was (at least originally, he has been upgraded in recent years) just a guy who became a living capacitor by being struck by lightning. From Marvel wiki:

High-wire lineman Maxwell Dillon was struck by lightning while in contact with power lines still connected to their spool. The unusually configured magnetic field generated by the wound spool of cable and live, high-tension wires induced a body-wide mutagenic change to his nervous system. Dillon found himself transformed into a living electrical capacitor, powered by the micro-fine rhythmic muscle contractions that normally regulate body temperature.
Old April 21 2014, 03:53 AM   #314
Christopher
Writer

The idea of a character turning into electricity has always been stupid, regardless of the alleged origin of the power. It's right up there with Sandman's power to turn into sand, along with his clothes. See also Hydro-Man, the Living Laser, Vapor, Dust, etc.

Silly powers and silly origins are just part of comics. What made the Marvel Universe work is that it combined those silly elements with believable characterization and human drama. After all, the powers are usually just allegories for aspects of the characters and their conflicts. So it's the human side of the story that matters. If that works, then the movie will work regardless of the implausibility of the fantasy elements.

Old April 21 2014, 04:00 AM   #315
PhoenixClass
Lieutenant Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
"Syrum?" Is that, like, the serum that mutated Mrs. Butterworth?
Precisely! It greatly enhanced her ability to give her enemies diabetes.
PhoenixClass is offline   Reply With Quote