To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 17 2014, 08:36 PM   #286
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

I'm trying to decide whether to spoil myself on the movie or not. Spoilers don't generally detract from my enjoyment of a film or television series, but it's been quite a while since I went into seeing a movie that I was interested in completely unspoiled.

Anybody got any thoughts on whether it would be better to go in unspoiled?

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2014, 08:36 PM   #287
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Here's my review if anyone is interested Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2014, 09:09 PM   #288
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I'm trying to decide whether to spoil myself on the movie or not. Spoilers don't generally detract from my enjoyment of a film or television series, but it's been quite a while since I went into seeing a movie that I was interested in completely unspoiled.

Anybody got any thoughts on whether it would be better to go in unspoiled?
Even though the story is arguably "original", certain plot points are directly lifted from Spider Man comics. So if you're familiar with those, I'd say "spoiling" yourself isn't much of an issue.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2014, 09:11 AM   #289
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Dac pretty much covered my thoughts on the film, both good and bad, but I have to add one thing:

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2014, 09:24 AM   #290
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Anyone have any thoughts on Mr. Fierce?

I was also a little disappointed that there wasn't anything about him trying to figure out who killed Uncle Ben.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 07:12 AM   #291
JD
Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I love Spidey as a character, but I have no desire to see this. I mean, the marketing is filled with bright colors and CGI and just so overdone with stupid name-drops and showiness beyond measure. Sony is telling us: "you need to see this. You need to. No, really, you need to see it.

I'm sorry, but I have no desire to hand over money that expects me to take a villain seriously whose story is that he shoots electricity (ooohhh kewl) because he was in a vat with electric eels and something has gone wrong!

My seven year old nephew can think of better villains!

I'm voting with my wallet.
You can't really hold the eel thing against ASM2, they used it in the Spectacular Spidey animated series too, so it's been around at least that long.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 07:36 AM   #292
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I can. It doesn't matter to me one iota if it was in the comics.. it's a stupid origin story for a villain. I mean stupid as in Batman and Robin stupid. Cobra Commander turning into a snake in the G.I. Joe animated film isn't nearly that stupid (actually that was kind of pulled off well).

It would be somehow less stupid and more interesting for the producers of the film to use the one-off Spidey villain Typeface rather than Electro.
Old April 19 2014, 08:51 AM   #293
Tosk
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
You can't really hold the eel thing against ASM2, they used it in the Spectacular Spidey animated series too, so it's been around at least that long.
So if ASM changes something from the previous stories it's a cool reboot, but if it sticks with something lame we have to blame the source material?

And I wasn't even worried about the eels, really. For me, the Dillon characterization was far more damaging to the film than that.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 02:03 PM   #294
Christopher
Writer

Haven't seen the film yet, but the eel origin seems to make sense in context, because it parallels how Spidey got his powers in the previous movie. The film universe's Oscorp is all about genetically engineered animals, and if their gene-modified arachnids could give Peter Parker the proportionate strength and agility of a spider, then it follows that their gene-modified electric eels could similarly induce powers in a human. Within the context of the film continuity, it fits better than the original "struck by lightning while working on power lines" origin, which realistically would've just given Max Dillon the power to collapse into a charred, smoking corpse.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 02:09 PM   #295
DWF
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Haven't seen the film yet, but the eel origin seems to make sense in context, because it parallels how Spidey got his powers in the previous movie. The film universe's Oscorp is all about genetically engineered animals, and if their gene-modified arachnids could give Peter Parker the proportionate strength and agility of a spider, then it follows that their gene-modified electric eels could similarly induce powers in a human. Within the context of the film continuity, it fits better than the original "struck by lightning while working on power lines" origin, which realistically would've just given Max Dillon the power to collapse into a charred, smoking corpse.
And being hit by a gamma bomb would've killed Bruce Banner instead of turning him into the Hulk at night. Andif you look up Electro's origin I believe he had to make a suit to channel the electricity. Electro's new origin is in line with what Burt Conners was working, some way to save Norman Osborn's life.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 04:13 PM   #296
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

It might make sense (barely) but it still sounds stupid. Really. We've got to detatch ourselves from these comic book films long enough to see that.

If I asked a ten-year-old boy to create a villain with the power of electricity, and that the origin had to originate in a scientific lab, this is the kind of origin I'd expect. It's absurd without being interesting, stupid without being creative, and just plain moronic. Oh, let's not forget that Electro's master plan is plunge NYC into a permanent blackout. That means his ultimate goal is less interesting still than his crappy origin story. At least if they went with Typeface (the dumbest villain in history) they'd have to embrace his origin story, they'd have to come up with motivations and dialogue that are all just left of center, things we'd never heard before, and could (maybe) work because of how strange they are.
Old April 19 2014, 04:26 PM   #297
Christopher
Writer

Most superhero/villain origins are stupid. Electro's comics origin is far stupider than this, as I already pointed out. Being bitten by a radioactive/transgenic spider and gaining its proportional powers (without any outward change in anatomy) makes no sense at all. Getting irradiated atop a pile of sand and thereby turning into a living collection of sand is utterly preposterous. Being exposed to gamma radiation (with or without supersoldier serum) and turning into a giant green rage troll -- complete with the spontaneous creation of extra body mass out of nowhere in defiance of all physical law -- is entirely nonsensical. Even Tony Stark's origin doesn't make sense -- why didn't he get surgery to remove the shrapnel the moment he got home?

And please don't tell me what Electro's plan is. I've already told you I haven't seen the movie, and you go ahead and blurt out spoilers. Thanks ever so much.

Old April 19 2014, 04:34 PM   #298
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

i haven't seen it either. IK don't know what his plan is. That might not be his plan. I probably heard it somewhere (maybe in the ten thousand "you need to see this" trailers that Sony released.) Maybe that's not his plan.. but if the story of how he got his KEWL ELECTRICAL POWERS (TM) was written from the perspective of a nine-year-old, maybe his ultimate goal is written on the same level, and doesn't qualify as a real spoiler. It's not like Electro is in fact Ra's Al Ghul, nor was he responsible for the JFK assassination.

Sarcasm aside, I'm sorry...

If this film wasn't a Saturday morning cartoon, I might care a little more.
Old April 19 2014, 06:14 PM   #299
Christopher
Writer

Well, then if you haven't seen it, you really have no business condemning their approach, do you? Many things sound stupid on paper but work very well when you actually see them.

Old April 19 2014, 06:16 PM   #300
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

i'd normally agree.. but we're talking about a guy that gained the power to shoot electricity by being in a vat with electric eels!

Really?