Red Shirt Diaries Returns Next Month
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

ISS Astronaut May Join Trek Fan Film

Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old April 14 2014, 04:31 PM   #271
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Eduardo wrote: View Post
The more I see, the more I get the same feeling as with the first one... it is going to get saved by the chemistry between Andrew & Emma.
That's basically what a lot of the reviews have said so far: the movie is decent but the chemistry between Garfield & Stone elevates it above average or worse. Which is what I suspected. The first one was decent, but Garfield & Stone saved that movie with their chemistry alone.
Old April 16 2014, 12:51 AM   #272
Roshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roshi

I've seen the movie and it's great!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Roshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2014, 09:33 AM   #273
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

It's out here today, I'm seeing it this evening.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2014, 08:07 PM   #274
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

"The 'Batman and Robin' of the Spider-Man franchise."
Old April 16 2014, 08:45 PM   #275
Christopher
Writer

Oh, they switched composers to Hans Zimmer? Disappointing. I've never been crazy about James Horner's work, but I liked his Spidey theme in the last movie. And while Zimmer has occasionally done interesting work (e.g. in the Sherlock Holmes and Kung Fu Panda franchises, and The Critic way back when), I find his usual superhero/action scoring to be relentlessly bland, just a bunch of loud blaring tones with no melody. (He came up with a reasonably good Superman theme for Man of Steel but only used it for about 30 seconds in the end titles. I heard it more in the burger commercials than in the movie itself.)
Old April 16 2014, 09:39 PM   #276
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Maybe it's just me but I think it would have been fun had they named the sequel Spectacular Spider-Man, and the next one Web Of Spider-Man.
Old April 16 2014, 10:17 PM   #277
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Davros wrote: View Post
Maybe it's just me but I think it would have been fun had they named the sequel Spectacular Spider-Man, and the next one Web Of Spider-Man.
I felt that way with the Raimi/McGuire series but that didn't happen then.
Spiderman ('02)
Amazing Spiderman ('04)
Spectacular Spiderman ('07)

It seems now though that once the Webb/Garfield era is over and SONY again reboots it the next installment will use Spectacular most likely to set it apart from the others. Provided they don't run it into the ground enough audiences get apathy towards Spidey.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2014, 12:35 AM   #278
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

Just seen it. It's an incredibly poor script, badly structured, flat jokes and with laughable character arcs, as well as

That said, aside from a brief stretch in the middle I was never bored, but it does feel a complete hodge-podge assembled from three or four different movies. Both Electro and the Green Goblin worked for me, but were wasted, the latter especially so, and Garfield and Stone are charming, apart from a couple of times where the slush is layered so thickly you'll be reaching for your sick bucket.

In a world that has Captain America: The Winter Soldier, though, this isn't good enough any more.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2014, 09:40 AM   #279
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I loved the visuals and the villains, liked their motivations. Some things were a bit rushed so there wasn't much time to settle. I don't think these films are as good at putting across a clear theme as the Raimi movies were, and sometimes it seems they're going for flash over substance. I do enjoy the dynamism and energy that comes with that though.

Old April 17 2014, 01:26 PM   #280
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I love Spidey as a character, but I have no desire to see this. I mean, the marketing is filled with bright colors and CGI and just so overdone with stupid name-drops and showiness beyond measure. Sony is telling us: "you need to see this. You need to. No, really, you need to see it.

I'm sorry, but I have no desire to hand over money that expects me to take a villain seriously whose story is that he shoots electricity (ooohhh kewl) because he was in a vat with electric eels and something has gone wrong!

My seven year old nephew can think of better villains!

I'm voting with my wallet.
Old April 17 2014, 01:48 PM   #281
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS - SPOILERS INCOMING - SPOILER SPOILERS SPOILERS!

The first film was so vanilla as to be completely unremarkable. Like, before seeing the second one yesterday I had to stop and think for about 3 minutes before I remembered who the villain was in the first film. It's just forgettable.

By that margin, the second movie is better simply by the fact It may me think "hmm, this is vaguely entertaining" because it's so littered with beyond retarded elements the vaguely OK bits stick out like a shining beacon of hope.

All that being said...I still liked it better than the first. It engaged me enough to hate significant portions of it, and that made me like the good bits even more. Yes that's dumb, I know, but like I said the first movie just left me tepid in every way possible. This movie isn't so bad it's good, it's just good but riddled with dumb bits.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2014, 02:28 PM   #282
Tosk
Rear Admiral

For me, choosing between this one and ASM1 is just a waste of effort. ASM2 is full of weird pacing, clashing tones, terrible villains (some underdeveloped, others just plain boring), vague character motivation and idiotic decision making, and the most cartoonish scientist I have seen for a loooooong time.

Worst of all, it was a Spider-Man film and barely once did I ever feel that, "Go Spidey!" moment. Boo!

Between the averageness of the film itself and the potential it had, I found it to be a major disappointment. That's zero for two for me.

Dac wrote: View Post
Electro's dialogue. Unfortunately, it's about on par with Schwarzenegger in Batman and Robin. Electricity puns everywhere.
Not to mention, Dillon just felt like Edward Nygma from Batman Forever. That corny old weirdo nerd scientist! Ha, audiences love those kinds of characters, right? Right?!

...And what's with the X-Men ad during the credits? That was very odd. It's like Sony and Fox are so desperate to compete with the MCU that they'll co-operate with each other and just throw in any old shit as a mid-credits scene.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2014, 03:13 PM   #283
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

Tosk wrote: View Post
Dac wrote: View Post
Electro's dialogue. Unfortunately, it's about on par with Schwarzenegger in Batman and Robin. Electricity puns everywhere.
Not to mention, Dillon just felt like Edward Nygma from Batman Forever. That corny old weirdo nerd scientist! Ha, audiences love those kinds of characters, right? Right?!

OH MY GOD! You just reminded me of that German Dr Kafka! WHAT THE FUCK WAS UP WITH THAT GUY!?! I mean, who told Marton Csokas that accent was a good idea? It was like a 50's B-movie german scientist! That was a low point. VERY Schumacher Batman.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2014, 04:39 PM   #284
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

Yeah the German scientist was really bad.

Old April 17 2014, 05:06 PM   #285
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Ja. Doktor Kafka vuz der very model of zee clichéd Deutsch scientist. I know nusink!
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote