February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 20 2014, 09:07 PM   #256
Christopher
Writer

Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

^Yeah -- after seeing Graviton portrayed as a Magneto-level archvillain in A:EMH, I was surprised to learn what a minor character he was in the comics.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 04:04 PM   #257
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Closest look yet at the new GG. Personally, I think he looks like, well, Willem Dafoe!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=116487
Old March 26 2014, 04:30 PM   #258
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Looks like he belongs in a reboot of the horror franchise Leprechaun to me.
Captain Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 04:36 PM   #259
NX74205
Captain

I will go see this movie, but whether it will be one of the better Marvel movies that we see this summer, I'm not sure. I just hope that the trailers have not shown too much of the movie already.
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 05:57 PM   #260
davejames
Vice Admiral

To be fair, after four movies I'm not really sure what else they COULD do to fresh up the franchise and make it seem cool again. Even if there are countless numbers of great stories to pull from in the comics, the novelty of actually watching the character swing through a city and fight bad guys on the big screen has pretty much worn off by now.

Hell, in my mind the fact this movie even looks moderately fun and entertaining is kind of a miracle.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 06:47 PM   #261
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

He looks like OUaT's Rumplestiltskin (minus the glittery skin) and the Goblin King from Labyrinth.
Old March 26 2014, 09:14 PM   #262
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

That's probably why they are doing spin-offs like The Sinister Six and Venom. They probably realize they can't keep on making Spider-Man movies forever and still keep the same kind of appeal the Raimi movies had. I'm sure by the time The Amazing Spider-Man 3 comes out there'll be some kind of franchise fatigue (although the X-Men movies are still going strong and Days of Future Past will technically be the seventh X-Men movie... although that franchise benefits from multiple characters with a wide variety of powers).

I hope by the time The Amazing Spider-Man 4 rolls around that they at least do a soft reboot. I'm surprised these movies aren't using the famous Spidey sub-titles like Spectacular, Superior, Ultimate, etc. unless they are saving those for future incarnations. We've seen the origin story twice now. It would be great if we just saw a different Spider-Man with the origin story behind us. Maybe even call it The Spectactular Spider-Man or something along those lines. Andrew Garfield has hinted he might not want to play the character beyond The Amazing Spider-Man 3, so I think a recast is inevitable. I still think you can do a soft reboot - hire different actors, maybe include the origin story in bits with the opening title sequence (a la The Incredible Hulk) and just move forward from there.

I'm sure Sony would be adamant to make more Spider-Man movies beyond the Webb/Garfield series but as mentioned above I am curious to see how well The Amazing Spider-Man 2 does. The last movie made money, but it wasn't an explosive hit. Sinister Six and Venom feel somewhat risky (has there ever been a movie with the villains of a franchise but not the main hero?) so I would also be curious to see how well those movies do before hedging any bets on any future Spidey installments.
Old March 26 2014, 09:44 PM   #263
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

I hope they keep the same continuity too, and if Garfield does give up the part I'd prefer a recast rather than to see them start a new adaptation again.

I'd quite like them one day to go into full on horror mode and have the mutation storyline where he starts to turn into a spider, although I very much doubt that's ever going to happen. The good thing about Spidey though is that he has so many good villains that TPTB don't have to worry about coming up with compelling adversaries.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 11:28 PM   #264
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

One of my problems with the stills I've been seeing and doing Spider-man in general is that he seems to swinging from great heights, that I wonder what buildings or structures his webs attach to. Unless there's an Empire State Building every four blocks.
Old March 26 2014, 11:33 PM   #265
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well originally I would have thought a great way to reinvigorate the franchise was by making it more grounded and realistic, like they talked about doing for the first movie. But in the end not a whole lot of that really came through, and instead we just got a typical, generic superhero origin story.

And this new movie appears to have abandoned that approach completely. It basically looks about as bright, colorful, and comic booky as any of the Raimi films.
Old March 26 2014, 11:40 PM   #266
davejames
Vice Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
One of my problems with the stills I've been seeing and doing Spider-man in general is that he seems to swinging from great heights, that I wonder what buildings or structures his webs attach to. Unless there's an Empire State Building every four blocks.
Actually the main issue I usually have is with how freakin fast he swings at times, especially when swooping in to save somebody. Even with superpowers, there's only so fast somebody would be able to swing on an incredibly long web like that.
Old March 26 2014, 11:46 PM   #267
Christopher
Writer

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I believe Stan Lee was known to evoke passing helicopters when he was asked that question (specifically pertaining to a cover or interior image where Spidey was swinging past the Empire State Building itself with his web clearly attached to something much higher up). If nothing else, it's true to the source material.

I also seem to recall that the digital Manhattan in the Raimi movies was based on the real one but had a lot more very tall buildings added, because that's the optimal environment for Spider-Man.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 11:51 PM   #268
JD
Admiral

Uggh, not a fan of that GG look. I wasn't necessarily expecting them to go for the full comic book look for Green Goblin, but I was at least hoping for something more than just bad skin and teeth, and messed up hair. I am still looking forward to this though, based off of my enjoyment of the first one, and the trailers.
Old April 9 2014, 01:17 PM   #269
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Aaaaaand: first review. Mildly spoilerish. http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews...-2-1201154134/

Edited to include a second review: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014...iew?CMP=twt_gu

Last edited by Captaindemotion; April 9 2014 at 01:40 PM.
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2014, 04:20 AM   #270
Eduardo
Commander

Clip from the MTV Movie Awards

http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/103...tml#id=1724958

The more I see, the more I get the same feeling as with the first one... it is going to get saved by the chemistry between Andrew & Emma.