Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 25 2013, 10:43 PM   #16
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: the Star Wars Expanded universe

sojourner wrote: View Post
Has the EU ever done time travel or alternate realities? Not "what ifs", but actual Trek "mirror, mirror" type alternates.
I heard there were some stories called "Star Wars Infinities" where the original trilogy stories were altered - like, what if Luke died on Hoth and Han tried to take the Jedi training, or what if Vader survived the duel on the second Death Star and went back to the good guys (imagine Vader in stark white armor instead of black). They're not in "continuity", though, just "what if" stories.

I don't foresee the new movies being weighed down by books and comic backstories, though, and since SW is more space opera fantasy than Star Trek, I don't think there are any avenues for allowing the alternative universe type of out that ST 2009 took.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 10:54 PM   #17
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Has the EU ever done time travel or alternate realities? Not "what ifs", but actual Trek "mirror, mirror" type alternates.
I heard there were some stories called "Star Wars Infinities" where the original trilogy stories were altered - like, what if Luke died on Hoth and Han tried to take the Jedi training, or what if Vader survived the duel on the second Death Star and went back to the good guys (imagine Vader in stark white armor instead of black). They're not in "continuity", though, just "what if" stories.
Yep, that would apply to the "not 'what ifs'" part of my post.
Old February 25 2013, 11:35 PM   #18
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

If the EU is totally contradicted in a way that the it can't merge around (like Boba Fett's original back story) then at least we can take all the original EU (including the original Clone Wars continuity) and separate it from the Sequel Trilogy and The Clone Wars. So at the very least we can say the Clone Wars continuity flubs are no longer an issue.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 12:28 AM   #19
Mr Light
Admiral

As a huge fan of the Star Wars EU, I'm totally fine with them completely disregarding it. We've had twenty years of that continuity, and it'd be interesting to see a different take on the post ROTJ timeline, knowing what we know from the Prequels.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 12:58 AM   #20
flavaflav
Commander

I hope the expanded universe gets comlpetely tossed out the window. I believe 90% of it is total garbage, especially the Zahn books, so I want it gone. Dead dead dead...
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 12:59 AM   #21
Relayer1
Commodore

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
The majority of pre ROTJ novels will probably be OK, but most of the later stuff will be trashed. If they're clever they could 'pull a JJ' and wrap up the last novel with an almighty reset to the death of the Emperor and soft boot the whole thing whilst leaving the dumped continuity as another timeline/loop.

Doubt they will bother though.
Never to my knowledge, but I eventually gave up on Star Wars lit during the Vong war and never went back.

I'd say it would be a first, and I'd assume it would be non-physical time travel, with a Jedi or Sith somehow sending their consciousness back in time to their younger self using The Force, and thus altering the timeline. The superseded EU would then become a closed loop but still exist...
Old February 26 2013, 10:34 AM   #22
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

There's been several instances of flow walking into the past but you can really only observe events and not really effect them. Other than that there's been no time travel that I can recall.
Old February 26 2013, 11:18 AM   #23
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

In a Donner party situation, what do think Jar Jar would taste like?

Of course, it also depends on how well you cook him.

Can you imagine Gungan as the special ingredient on Iron Chef?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 11:18 AM   #24
Relayer1
Commodore

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
There's been several instances of flow walking into the past but you can really only observe events and not really effect them. Other than that there's been no time travel that I can recall.
Just read your link.

You may not actually be able to change the past (or future) when flow walking, but if you could somehow impart information or an idea to someone else...there's leeway.

It would be a neater and more satisfying option (to me at least) to reset everything to the end of ROTJ without having the post movies EU 'not happen'.
Old February 26 2013, 12:02 PM   #25
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

safarial wrote: View Post
legacy may be affected if Luke either has a different wife, no wife, or if Han and Leia have a completely different family. .
That's true, and it's definitely possible (and even likely, IMO). But I also think it's possible they'll cherry-pick some things from the EU and ignore others (there could be a Mara Jade Skywalker, but she and Luke could have a daughter instead of a son, perhaps, and she could be the hero of the new trilogy, who knows?).
Old February 26 2013, 12:21 PM   #26
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
In a Donner party situation, what do think Jar Jar would taste like?

Of course, it also depends on how well you cook him.

Can you imagine Gungan as the special ingredient on Iron Chef?
Saga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 01:49 PM   #27
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

I too would prefer if some form of time travel would rewrite everything. That way at least it all happened, even if it can't continue to be the official story anymore.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 01:56 PM   #28
Mr Light
Admiral

So, Abrams would do the exact same thing that happened in Star Trek '09, a current continuity character from the future travels to the past and resets the timeline?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 03:59 PM   #29
sojourner
Vice Admiral

No, time travel is a bad idea. It's done more harm to Trek than anything else.
Old February 26 2013, 04:08 PM   #30
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
So, Abrams would do the exact same thing that happened in Star Trek '09, a current continuity character from the future travels to the past and resets the timeline?
In an odd turn of events that character will still be Spock.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote