Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 25 2013, 12:03 PM   #1
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Hand Phasers - Clumsy or Very Smart?

Along with no trigger guard, the phaser pistol had no sights. I wonder how hard it would be to shoot accurately. (When seconds count, your redshirt cannon fodder might be minutes away.)

There's a frame in "Return of the Archons" where Kirk is firing his Type I phaser, and the beam is going where his eyes are looking, not where the weapon is pointing.

Maybe hand phasers don't need sights because they have a sensor that looks at your eyes and figures out what you mean to be shooting at. Then the nozzle tilts itself to aim for you. Fighter pilots have something like that in real life now.
ZapBrannigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Timo
Admiral

Re: Hand Phasers - Clumsy or Very Smart?

Or then the guns have built-in sensors that figure out potential targets, and give a little buzz against the user's hand, or other such signal, at each target the gun sweeps past. The user can then press a button to lock the gun to that target - and afterwards, the gun will fire at that target no matter where it is being pointed. Much like the "repeat" button on Gary Oldman's gun in Fifth Element.

There are pros and cons to both approaches. You don't always want to look at your target when firing, for example...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 06:21 PM   #3
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

The Phasers actually DID have a gunsight. They just rarely ever used it (probably because only the hero props had them). You can see it in action in The Man Trap when Spock turns the dial on the phaser 1 atop his pistol and the sight pops up.

The phaser 1 is an ergonomic nightmare, however. The trigger is on the bottom, and to hold it in your hand and be able to push the trigger makes it nearly impossible not to block the sight with your thumb. Jefferies designed a cool looking little prop but it was impractical to handle.
MauriceNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Redfern
Commodore

That feature was recreated for the Art Asylum toy/replicas to my pleasant surprise. Master Replicas? Yeah, sure, you're paying several hundred dollars; it had better be accurate. But for a "toy", Art Asylum could have cut corners and not bothered. But it was included, anyway.

I didn't even know the "trigger" was mounted underneath until I got my AA toy and then discovered the site Maurice linked.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 07:43 PM   #5
mach7
Commander

Also remember that the phaser 1 was meant to be concealed, for diplomatic/sensitive/clandestine missions. I would think that size would be the most important feature.

I agree that the bottom trigger is a nightmare, but having built many P1's (currently working on the Jlong hero), I'm not sure where else it could be if you want to use the rising site as designed.

Imagine sitting down and accidentally pressing the trigger. Embarrassing at best, deadly at worst.

I would suppose that a safety would be involved. At least a connection to prevent discharge without the rising sight up.

Other than the trigger, ergonomically it fits very nice in your hand and almost aims itself.

Last edited by mach7; February 26 2013 at 12:14 AM.
mach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Garrovick
Commander

I can see where a sight would be needed for long-distance firing, and the phaser rifle from WNMHGB has a sight as well. But I would think for fairly short-range targeting, which is most of what we saw on TOS, they could get by on eyesight alone. Starfleet does train its crews in at least basic marksmanship, and I'd suspect that it's easier to aim and fire a phaser than it is a modern-day firearm since there are no recoil effects to throw off one's aim.
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 09:04 PM   #7
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

There's also the question of what was intended to be the on-screen trigger v. the practical trigger of the prop. The bottom trigger makes sense if there a linkage from the pistol that needs to activate the phaser 1, such as if the "sight" lights up when the trigger is pulled (no idea if that happened). Otherwise, you could assume that the wheel clicked down as a trigger, since that's around where the actor's thumbs usually landed. Either way, to get a solid grip you basically need to put your thumb right in front of the sight, which is silly.
MauriceNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 09:13 PM   #8
Timo
Admiral

...But only if you want a straight line, target-sight-eye. Yet the phaser is almost invariably operated at waist or chest height, not eye height. Why should the line between the three points need to be straight?

I mean, the sight is a prism-like "vision block" anyway. For all we know, it's set up to show the crosshairs at a convenient angle. Or, if it's an active display rather than a passive prism or mirror, it may show the crosshairs over the target at any angle, plus additional aiming aids and other relevant data.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 11:27 PM   #9
Metryq
Captain

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Fighter pilots have something like that in real life now.
Only if you "think in Russian." HUDs are very sophisticated today, and many smartphones feature "augmented reality" apps. One could rationalize anything, including something as simple as a "laser sight."

The animators for Disney's THE BLACK HOLE were plagued by actors pointing everywhere but at the targets, resulting in beams coming out of the barrel at a skewed angle. So the actors had to be coached how to fire their space guns. And if you thought George Takei running loose with a foil was a problem...

Old February 25 2013, 11:47 PM   #10
Garrovick
Commander

Metryq wrote: View Post
ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Fighter pilots have something like that in real life now.
Only if you "think in Russian." HUDs are very sophisticated today, and many smartphones feature "augmented reality" apps. One could rationalize anything, including something as simple as a "laser sight."

The animators for Disney's THE BLACK HOLE were plagued by actors pointing everywhere but at the targets, resulting in beams coming out of the barrel at a skewed angle. So the actors had to be coached how to fire their space guns. And if you thought George Takei running loose with a foil was a problem...

Don't give Charlie a hard time - after all, he did end up playing second fiddle to a tin can who was programmed to educate him.

Those The Black Hole laser guns were pretty cool, though.
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 12:38 AM   #11
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Trigger on the bottom?

Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 12:51 AM   #12
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

^^ I was wondering about that as well. Who said the trigger was on the bottom?

Link
Old February 26 2013, 12:55 AM   #13
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

scotpens wrote: View Post
^^ I was wondering about that as well. Who said the trigger was on the bottom?

Link
edit: nvm.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 01:55 AM   #14
mach7
Commander

Franz Joseph is not cannon.

Very cool, but not cannon.

Matt Jefferies original drawings ID the trigger on the bottom. The hero
P1's had a metal stud there for it. You can see the P1 sitting up on it in Assignment Earth.
Old February 26 2013, 01:56 AM   #15
mach7
Commander

Sorry double post