Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 23 2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Hespen
Ensign

Babylon 5 Season 2 - Not enough Delenn, G'Kar, Londo, kind of boring

I enjoyed Babylon 5 Season 1, but Season 2 has gotten off to a slow start. In season 1 there was lots of alien politics but that seems to be absent in the start of season 2.

When does season 2 get good? I'm at episode 6 right now.

Also, Captain Sheridan doesn't seem to be as strong or charismatic as Sinclair. Does his performance improve? He seems too "nice".
Hespen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Re: Babylon 5 Season 2 - Not enough Delenn, G'Kar, Londo, kind of bori

Hespen wrote: View Post
I enjoyed Babylon 5 Season 1, but Season 2 has gotten off to a slow start. In season 1 there was lots of alien politics but that seems to be absent in the start of season 2.

When does season 2 get good? I'm at episode 6 right now.

Also, Captain Sheridan doesn't seem to be as strong or charismatic as Sinclair. Does his performance improve? He seems too "nice".
The alien politics will pick up soon. A lot early on is establishing Sheridan and why he's on the station. The Coming of Shadows, episode 9 as I recall, should have a lot of the things you seem to have enjoyed from season one.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Mr Light
Admiral

There were a lot of duds in the opening batch of S2, but by the middle third it got much better. I find S2 much better than S1.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

His middle name isn't "Nuke'em" for nothing...
Old February 23 2013, 03:07 PM   #5
Mage
Commodore

Sheridan had more presence then Sinclair, if you ask me, much more in touch with his crew then Sinclair.
Old February 23 2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Aeon
Commander

Too nice? Too happy? Ah, but that's the point. Don't worry though. It's just the beginning and the first layer of the character. There's more.
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Hespen
Ensign

Okay, I just watched a rage through dark places which was a great episode! Gov Kodos mentioned episode 9 so I'm looking forward to watching it now.
Old February 23 2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Hespen
Ensign

DAMN, episode 9 was epic. The show seems back on track now!
Old February 23 2013, 04:59 PM   #9
Gov Kodos
Admiral

I hope the show continues to impress you. Let us know what you think, it's always fun to see folks first time reactions. You might edit your opening post to ask folks to refrain from spoilers, if you want to keep away from them.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Old February 24 2013, 03:11 PM   #10
Hespen
Ensign

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
I hope the show continues to impress you. Let us know what you think, it's always fun to see folks first time reactions. You might edit your opening post to ask folks to refrain from spoilers, if you want to keep away from them.
I'm watching episode 15 now in season 2. What a great episode. For me Delenn, g'kar, londo, franklin and Garibaldi carry the show. I think G'kar is a very interesting character. I still haven't accepted Captain sheridan, he seems weak compared to sinclair. Sinclair was up there with picard, sisko, janeway. I think the guy who plays sinclair went to harvard and trained at juliard. The Sheridan guy isn't that great of an actor. I'm not sure about ivanova yet.

So far I think the less I see of Ivanova and Sheridan the better but we'll see what happens. I'm willing to give their characters a chance.

How about you? Favorite characters?
Old February 24 2013, 03:38 PM   #11
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I'm watching episode 15 now in season 2. What a great episode. For me Delenn, g'kar, londo, franklin and Garibaldi carry the show. I think G'kar is a very interesting character. I still haven't accepted Captain sheridan, he seems weak compared to sinclair. Sinclair was up there with picard, sisko, janeway. I think the guy who plays sinclair went to harvard and trained at juliard. The Sheridan guy isn't that great of an actor. I'm not sure about ivanova yet.

So far I think the less I see of Ivanova and Sheridan the better but we'll see what happens. I'm willing to give their characters a chance.

It's refreshing to see someone singing Sinclair's praises. Many folks didn't appreciate the character he was playing, and rather than a man with Survivor's Guilt and a "Hole in his mind", they saw a wooden actor/character.

Ivanova, yea, Claudia Christian is definitely no Meryl Streep, but, I enjoyed the character she played, and can't imagine anyone else in the role.

Sheridan has a pretty strong character arc, stick with him, in the end, I hope you will find Boxleitner did a good job with the role when you look back at who he was in his introduction, versus who he becomes in the end.

Mira Furlan, Peter Jurasic, and Andreas Katsulas are definitely awesome actors

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 04:00 PM   #12
Gov Kodos
Admiral

The best actors on the show really are Jurasik and Katsulas. Moreover, their stories generally have the meatiest material and the plots of those stories often intertwine so the actors have a lot to play with. Mira Furlan is also fantastic and has some great material in the series. Unfortunately, she doesn't have an opposite to play off of all the time the way Londo and G'Kar benefit from. I'm with you on preferring Sinclair to Sheridan. Boxleitner's acting never bothered me, his character is just a great deal simpler than O'Hare's Sinclair. I enjoyed Ivanova as a character. Claudia's best moments for me was when she had comedy moments or was playing the strait up fighter/commander. I enjoyed Garibaldi, but I have a fondness for the NY detective types so there you go. B5 was great fun for me and still is. I had never cottoned to the TNG era of Trek, and B5 was a much welcome gem for me.
Old February 24 2013, 04:17 PM   #13
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Babylon 5 is the pinnacle of live-action sci-fi storytelling and Londo Mollari is my all-time favourite television character.

I think Season 2 is a vast improvement on the first, as much as I love Sinclair. Season 1 is great set-up but fairly standard and episodic in nature. Season 2 is when Babylon 5 really shows what it can do. It couldn't have done that without S1's set-up though which was incredibly subtle and patient.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote