A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old April 6 2013, 12:34 AM   #46
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: Uh-Oh!! Is Microsoft setting up to answer Sony?

Oh, Microsoft, don't be going all stupid on us now.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 01:28 AM   #47
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Old April 6 2013, 01:31 AM   #48
Jax
Admiral

^
Old April 6 2013, 03:20 AM   #49
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Microsoft just released a statement distancing themselves from the personal view of their employee.

I wonder if the always online feature is much like the PS4 always on feature for fast start up and play... It's not required for gameplay, but it just maintains a low power standby mode for convenience. If Microsoft does this, they have to realize it would be big trouble for them... Which makes me think they won't do it.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 03:44 AM   #50
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
Adam Orth, creative director Microsoft on tweeter and a little spat he had with a game dev form Bioware on the issue of always on connections.

Full story at neogaf..
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=52707141
What a dick!
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 04:17 AM   #51
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

AlphaMan wrote: View Post
I wonder if the always online feature is much like the PS4 always on feature for fast start up and play... It's not required for gameplay, but it just maintains a low power standby mode for convenience. If Microsoft does this, they have to realize it would be big trouble for them... Which makes me think they won't do it.
Kotaku is getting their information from an unnamed source (yeah, that's 100% trustworthy), but they do seem pretty confident that the Durango will Require an Internet Connection to start games. I just hope Microsoft announces the damn thing soon and puts all the rumours to rest.

Old April 6 2013, 04:49 AM   #52
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

Interesting take. I would have assumed people would have gone directly to that Hitler film that is the go-to for pent-up Internet rage. But The Dark Knight Rises also works.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 04:51 AM   #53
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Caretaker wrote: View Post
Interesting take. I would have assumed people would have gone directly to that Hitler film that is the go-to for pent-up Internet rage. But The Dark Knight Rises also works.
Downfall parodies? That is so 2010!

Old April 6 2013, 12:01 PM   #54
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Damn.. if MS really goes the Always on route and Sony doesn't it might actually be a big factor in this console race.

As i said before both consoles are pretty much on par technology wise.. similar design concepts and similar power on average (one does maybe win in certain areas but the other makes up for it by being better in others). So it all comes down to features, personal preference and some exclusive titles.

I'm an XBox man myself but i'm not hardcore locked into one company.. whoever provides me the best gaming experience (that's very subjective of course) gets my money. I also live in an area with very stable internet connection ( i can count the times of disconnect by the ISP on one hand in more than 10 years.. that's a pretty good service) so Always on DRM wouldn't be a factor for me but it's about principle.

There is absolutely no technical reason whatsoever to have an always on device or game other than DRM and every company can suck it if it tries to imposes it on me. It's something different with purely multiplayer games like Diablo 3 but a single player game requiring this feature? Gimme a break..

If MS really wants to shoot itself in the foot go ahead.. come launch day expect the 720 to be unusable for days or even weeks while PS4 are laughing their ass off (only if current rumors remain true of course).

If it turns out to be like this consider me heavily leaning to the PS4 this fall/winter when they are released.
Old April 6 2013, 02:19 PM   #55
Jax
Admiral

Sony must be loving this, and of course at the start Xbox will sell out on launch but after that I believe Sony will open up a huge lead in both hardware and software. We all thought Sony scored an own goal with the launch of PS3, well Microsoft are about to take it to the next level

Last edited by Jax; April 6 2013 at 07:04 PM.
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 05:15 PM   #56
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I'm not into Microsoft's consoles (I'm not into Western games or FPS), so this doesn't affect me very much. Although I do own an Xbox and I plan to buy a 360 in the next few years. I'm way more into Nintendo and to a slightly lesser degree Sony.

This just isn't a direction that I want to see console gaming headed in. I can go put in Space Invaders (2600), Super Mario Bros, Streets of Rage, Ocarina of Time, Crazy Taxi, or Halo 1 whenever I want. Those games will always be available to play. If the Durango is online only then that means at some point, after about 8-10 years when support of the console is discontinued, every single game released for the system will be unplayable. Could you imagine if all movies or songs or books ceased to exist after a decade? That's a fucking nightmare.

Old April 6 2013, 05:50 PM   #57
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I've been seeing rumours about the always online requirement for the past year, and at first I thought it was absolutely absurd and in no way true, but more and more insider sources are confirming it and I'm beginning to believe it may be true. It's just hard to believe that MS could be so pigheaded in pushing for this and believing it's viable while there's going to an an offline competitor. The only way it could work is if MS is willing to radically undersell the PS4 the way the 360 did the PS3, but considering that both consoles are supposed to be using similar hardware, it's difficult to see how MS could manage that again.

I have a 360, but I'm really temped to jump back to the PS4 next gen because of Microsoft's greed in charging for most services on Xbox Live. An always online requirement would guarantee me making the switch.
Old April 6 2013, 08:00 PM   #58
ATimson
Rear Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I have a 360, but I'm really temped to jump back to the PS4 next gen because of Microsoft's greed in charging for most services on Xbox Live. An always online requirement would guarantee me making the switch.
I don't mind Microsoft charging (PS3 doesn't, but PS3's offering is missing features too) for online play. Always on... might be a deal breaker, or at least a deal delayer.

I'm not going to jump to the PS4 instead, though. Their interesting exclusives (mainly Uncharted and a bunch of PS2 rereleases) aren't enough to justify launch price for a console.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 09:49 PM   #59
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I can go put in Space Invaders (2600), Super Mario Bros, Streets of Rage, Ocarina of Time, Crazy Taxi, or Halo 1 whenever I want. Those games will always be available to play. If the Durango is online only then that means at some point, after about 8-10 years when support of the console is discontinued, every single game released for the system will be unplayable. Could you imagine if all movies or songs or books ceased to exist after a decade? That's a fucking nightmare.
That's an excellent point. What they are hoping will likely happen is that they could sell you your favorite game again on a future console.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 11:04 PM   #60
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
I don't mind Microsoft charging (PS3 doesn't, but PS3's offering is missing features too) for online play. Always on... might be a deal breaker, or at least a deal delayer.
I'm not talking about multiplayer, I accepted that they were going to charge for that when I purchased. But since then pretty much every new service they've added to Xbox Live has required a Gold account. There's no reason why I should pay Microsoft to access services from third parties, such as Youtube, Netflix, or the fricking web browser. So if I'm going to get a console next gen, I may as well get one that wont try to fleece me.

I'm not going to jump to the PS4 instead, though. Their interesting exclusives (mainly Uncharted and a bunch of PS2 rereleases) aren't enough to justify launch price for a console.
I'm not going to purchase at launch, it's always best to wait a few months to a year and see where things stand before purchasing a console. As for price, we don't know how much they're going to cost, so we don't know if the PS4 will be more expensive than the next Xbox.