New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 25 2013, 11:35 AM   #91
EmoBorg
Captain

Re: The old "DS9 stole from B5" thing

If we ever have a sci fi civil war, the B5 and DS9 rivalry are good candidates for starting the war, beside the star trek and star wars rivalry of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z9R57maGvc
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 12:48 PM   #92
Mr Light
Admiral

Oh wow, I never even thought of the "main character is a religious figure" similarity before!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 04:03 PM   #93
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Oh wow, I never even thought of the "main character is a religious figure" similarity before!
Unwilling religious figure.
Old February 25 2013, 04:17 PM   #94
JediKnightButler
Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler

I'm nearly through Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (after having seen B5 in its entirety) and I've noticed a lot of similarities/parallels between the two series. I don't recall that there were any flagrant copies/rip-offs between the two series other than they are both set on a space station but then again why should only one show get to have a space station being a central focus for a series? I personally have enjoyed both series pretty much equally. Of the two series, I have always felt that B5 was kind of more "realistic" in terms of what the future would look like and more character-driven. It's continuity was a bit tighter than DS9 but then again DS9 didn't have the whole storyline planned out in advance. I still feel like DS9 choked a bit at the end with the final showdown between Dukat/Sisko/Winn, which seemed a bit "hammy", as well making the incomprehensible mistake of failing to resolve Bajor's status within the Federation, which underpinned the entire series. By contrast, I felt that B5 almost had no filler and wrapped up everything quite nicely by the end of S4 but still provided a nice little "coda" with S5. I'm planning to (someday) write up a blog post with all of the parallels/differences I've found between the two series.
Old February 25 2013, 05:52 PM   #95
Neroon
Mod of balance

Forbin wrote: View Post
See? Fun discussion with humor, friendliness and no yelling. I knew we could do it.

And hey, Space Angel predated all of the above, with its cool space station and cool space ship, and really freaky human mouths on cartoon people.
Brings a tear to me eye.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 06:01 PM   #96
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
I always thought that B5 had more in common with Lord of the Rings than DS9.
Oh, jms freely admits that as his main inspiration. LotR and, I think, Arthurian legend. Or was it Greek mythology
More Babylonian mythology.

The Arthurian legend is very apparent even without Late Delivery From Avalon.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 07:15 PM   #97
EnsignRicky
Commodore

What?

Forbidden Planet The Series stole from Lord Of The Rings In Space?

That's terrible.
Old February 25 2013, 07:36 PM   #98
JoeD80
Captain

Gary Mitchell wrote: View Post
Uh, thanks Mr. Wizard.
Um...OK?

Last edited by JoeD80; February 25 2013 at 08:00 PM.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 09:44 PM   #99
Forbin
Admiral

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
What?

Forbidden Planet The Series stole from Lord Of The Rings In Space?

That's terrible.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 02:58 PM   #100
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
I always thought that B5 had more in common with Lord of the Rings than DS9.
Oh, jms freely admits that as his main inspiration. LotR and, I think, Arthurian legend. Or was it Greek mythology

The LotR influence is fairly minimal. Indeed, most of it is just shout-outs by way of a few character/place names (some of which were unintentional) and I think one direct quote. Nothing of any real substance or depth.

Plus I'm pretty sure JMS has said that the likes of 'Lensman' & 'Foundation' had a much bigger impact than anything else. Add to that some Rod Sterling, H.P. Lovecraft, Harlan Ellison and, oh yeah, J. Michael Straczynski.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 03:33 PM   #101
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Reverend wrote: View Post
Hound of UIster wrote: View Post

The LotR influence is fairly minimal. Indeed, most of it is just shout-outs by way of a few character/place names (some of which were unintentional) and I think one direct quote. Nothing of any real substance or depth.

Plus I'm pretty sure JMS has said that the likes of 'Lensman' & 'Foundation' had a much bigger impact than anything else. Add to that some Rod Sterling, H.P. Lovecraft, Harlan Ellison and, oh yeah, J. Michael Straczynski.
The idea of [spoiler]the elder races leaving to go to the Grey Havens-err, beyond the rim and the protagonist joining them there at the end[/spoiler] is clearly LotR-inspired.
Old February 26 2013, 06:30 PM   #102
Reverend
Rear Admiral

A superficial similarity does not an inspiration make. Hell, that example doesn't make much sense. The elves in LotR were going to a specific place, a paradise, like coming home. The First Ones went *away* from their homes with no destination in mind. Just "out there" into the void between galaxies.

Even so, that's *one* story element among hundreds. JMS has made no bones about what his influences were and while LotR is in there, it's nowhere near as significant as some people try to make out. Ironic considering how for years people insisted that LotR was an allegory for WWII, even after Tolkien said otherwise.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 06:43 PM   #103
dub
Captain

Someone claiming to be from the production staff of DS9 posted this on facebook:

They almost used this as the open for Season 7, but I stopped them because I told them they stole too much from B5 already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlB-zCZ2PWo

Ah-HA!!
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 06:53 PM   #104
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

A superficial similarity does not an inspiration make.
I'm a Tolkien purist through and through. Babylon 5 shows huge influence from Tolkien's legendarium and is undoubtedly its biggest influence. JMS' online comments consistently reference LOTR as a comparison and influence. Nagisa is right in that having the elder races leave the younger ones for the Grey Havens is a huge riff but there are countless others that are vital to the DNA of the show.

Some are obvious like the Rangers and Sinclair's Za'ha'dum fall and resurrection. Others are to do with the general structure of the novel-like story. And Sheridan/Delenn's romance is a clear homage to Beren and Luthien (My favourite chapter of Tolkien's!).
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 07:16 PM   #105
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

DalekJim wrote: View Post
A superficial similarity does not an inspiration make.
I'm a Tolkien purist through and through. Babylon 5 shows huge influence from Tolkien's legendarium and is undoubtedly its biggest influence. JMS' online comments consistently reference LOTR as a comparison and influence. Nagisa is right in that having the elder races leave the younger ones for the Grey Havens is a huge riff but there are countless others that are vital to the DNA of the show.

Some are obvious like the Rangers and Sinclair's Za'ha'dum fall and resurrection. Others are to do with the general structure of the novel-like story. And Sheridan/Delenn's romance is a clear homage to Beren and Luthien (My favourite chapter of Tolkien's!).
Indeed. The Foundation series and Lensman and the like are definitely influences (as is the work of Alfred Bester on the way he uses telepaths and I'm not even counting the reuse of Bester's name), but the Lord of the Rings is clearly one of the biggest and most important influences on the series. The only influence? No. Is it a 1-to-1 comparison? No. But to similarly dismiss it as a couple name lifts and Elric quoting Gandalf is heavily understating its influence too.