MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 15 2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

So... about that black hole right next to Earth...

In Star Trek it was established that red matter could be utilized to create black holes. We saw this when the Hobis supernova was sucked up and when Vulcan imploded on itself. My question is, how long do these black holes last? Are they temporary, only lasting long enough to serve the plot (sucking in the supernova, pulling in Nero and Spock, Vulcan, the Narada, etc.), or are they a permanent fixture?

If so, wouldn't the black hole RIGHT NEXT TO EARTH be a massive threat to the Federation? Or did it get closed up when the Enterprise detonated its warp cores?
Old March 15 2013, 08:11 PM   #2
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: So... about that black hole right next to Earth...

Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post
Are they temporary, only lasting long enough to serve the plot

And there's your answer.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Pavonis
Commodore

Black holes aren't permanent anyways. They all evaporate via Hawking radiation. Small ones will dissipate sooner than large ones, and the ones made by red matter are almost certainly tiny and short-lived.

Also, the plot would suggest they're temporary anyway.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 08:36 PM   #4
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Spock warped away from Earth and Nero followed. So that huge black hole was outside the solar system anyway.

What of those poor Delta Vega monsters, now the planet's orbit will have been slightly altered by the absence of Vucan?
Old March 15 2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Franklin
Rear Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Spock warped away from Earth and Nero followed. So that huge black hole was outside the solar system anyway.

What of those poor Delta Vega monsters, now the planet's orbit will have been slightly altered by the absence of Vucan?
The drakoulias and hengrauggi? Yes, an inevitable orbit change would cause the climate of their planet to change considerably to be sure. In response to the new harsh conditions, the angry beasts have hunkered down and taken up reading Melville. In about 15 years, they'll be ready to meet Kirk, again.
Old March 15 2013, 09:20 PM   #6
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

By that time Delta Vega will be a garden spot.

...and so the scales balance themselves.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 09:35 PM   #7
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Rain is wet. The sky is blue. Star Trek has plot holes. More red matter seems to create a larger singularity. It took 20 years for the black hole "lightning storm" to get Prime Spock into the story. So it doesn't close. It doesn't make any sense and any explanation would be speculation because the filmmakers have never discussed it.

Last edited by HaventGotALife; March 16 2013 at 02:09 AM.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 09:59 PM   #8
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

Position matters less than trajectory. A black hole in the solar system might never collide with Earth.
Old March 15 2013, 11:06 PM   #9
Opus
Commodore

The black hole created by red matter that destroyed Vulcan evaporated.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 11:38 PM   #10
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

OphaClyde wrote: View Post
I wondered about that. It seems red matter black holes don't behave like naturally occurring ones. In fact they don't seem to be anything more than very local destroyers instead of the galactic neighbourhood annihilators you would imagine them to be. Earth was never in danger provided the bomb wasn't planted in its core.
Old March 16 2013, 12:23 AM   #11
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Deckerd wrote: View Post
OphaClyde wrote: View Post
I wondered about that. It seems red matter black holes don't behave like naturally occurring ones.
That much seems clear. If they did, rather than travel back in time/to another universe, Nero and Old Spock would have just died horribly.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 01:11 AM   #12
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Romulan starships in TNG were known to be powered by a quantum singularity. So in a way this wasn't anything all that new. It's as much of a problem, with or wthout lasting repercussions, as the writers want it to be. How many Romulan Birds of Prey blew up and nobody ever quickly mounted a rescue attempt of a nearby planet, because that implosion would grow and grow, engulfing nearby solar systems as it went. Assuming that doesn't take millions of years to expand and is essentially like worrying about what will happen, when the Sun begins to die.

Presumably after the Black Hole had finished feeding, it decreased back down to a subatomic scale and then disappeared from the universe altogether.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; March 16 2013 at 01:55 AM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 01:21 AM   #13
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
Rain is wet. The sky is blue. Star Trek has plot holes. More red matter seems to create a singularity. It took 20 years for the black hole "lightning storm" to get Prime Spock into the story. So it doesn't close. It doesn't make any sense and any explanation would be speculation because the filmmakers have never discussed it.
It's pretty clear in the film that the "lightning storm" that Spock came out of was not in the same place as the one that Nero came out of. It appears that they just form and then dissipate quickly.
Andymator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 01:39 AM   #14
UFO
Captain

That’s essentially correct although my impression was that they warped to the last known location of the Enterprise (near Saturn).

What of those poor Delta Vega monsters, now the planet's orbit will have been slightly altered by the absence of Vulcan?
DVD commentary says ships that enter RM black holes have to navigate around the singularity. Matter falling in probably couldn't do that so the one at Vulcan is probably left with the mass of Vulcan. Thus Dalta Vega would continue to orbit the "Vulcan" black hole.  
It would seem reasonable to speculate that RM black holes that don't swallow much conventional matter evaporate very quickly in line with "ordinary" mass/time/evaporation "rules". I just can't remeber how long it is supposed to take a planetary size black hole to evaporate. Quite some time I'm guessing so I don't think you need worry too much about the DV monsters.

Andymator wrote: View Post
It's pretty clear in the film that the "lightning storm" that Spock came out of was not in the same place as the one that Nero came out of. It appears that they just form and then dissipate quickly.
That is the "other end of the wormhole", not the black hole itself, if you see what I mean. Perhaps that end only "opens" when something goes through?
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 05:11 AM   #15
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

UFO wrote: View Post
That is the "other end of the wormhole", not the black hole itself, if you see what I mean. Perhaps that end only "opens" when something goes through?
Yeah, that's kind of how I took it too, but that's a little ambiguous in the movie.
Andymator is offline   Reply With Quote