RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,695
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 528
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old February 21 2013, 12:07 AM   #1
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Higgs Boson Mass points to end of our Universe

At least, that's what physicists at CERN are saying. They say, based on the measurements of the particle's mass, our universe might end in a vacuum decay in a few billion years from now.

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2...-it-might?lite

Well, that would be rather unfortunate.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 12:19 AM   #2
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Higgs Boson Mass points to end of our Universe

[Morgan Freeman Voice]

Everything is going to be just fine.

[/Morgan Freeman Voice]
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 12:30 AM   #3
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

If it really happens in "tens of billions of years," we won't have to wait for the heat death of the universe, proton decay, or anything. An interesting twist, if true.
Old February 21 2013, 12:41 AM   #4
RoJoHen
Awesome

Can't wait for the reboot.
Old February 21 2013, 02:16 AM   #5
Robert D. Robot
Captain

^

... Do the CERN folks predict whether there be more lens flare in any subsequent Universe?
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 02:33 AM   #6
Christopher
Writer

^No; nor does it predict when a critical mass of people will finally figure out that that joke stopped being funny years ago.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 03:34 AM   #7
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Well, fuck.

[cancels satellite subscription]
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 04:01 AM   #8
gturner
Admiral

This is at least better news that CERN figuring out that Higgs decay means the universe ended a couple of billion years in the past.

There was this nice quote though:

"The universe wants to be in a different state, so eventually to realize that, a little bubble of what you might think of as an alternate universe will appear somewhere, and it will spread out and destroy us."

The alternate destructo-universe definitely needs a cool name.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 04:08 AM   #9
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

gturner wrote: View Post
This is at least better news that CERN figuring out that Higgs decay means the universe ended a couple of billion years in the past.

"The universe wants to be in a different state, so eventually to realize that, a little bubble of what you might think of as an alternate universe will appear somewhere, and it will spread out and destroy us."

Hank.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 04:34 AM   #10
Christopher
Writer

I'd say this sounds like a science fiction story, but it's already been several science fiction stories. Star Trek has already had one episode (DS9: "Playing God") and at least two novels (The Wounded Sky and The Three-Minute Universe) about proto-universes threatening to expand into and eradicate our universe. And I'm sure I've heard of other SF works about the idea too.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 04:42 AM   #11
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

The IRS universe.

Might not be cool, but probably appropriate.
Old February 21 2013, 06:34 AM   #12
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

I shall call it "bullshit."

Because after spending billions of dollars to manufacture a gigantic particle accelerator for basically the specific purpose of investigating this one particle whose existence hadn't even been confirmed yet and whose discovery changes virtually nothing meaningful about physics either way, the theory has become indistinguishable from bullshit.

Cosmology and particle physics have both, IMO, turned the corner into a neighborhood that used to be dominated by theologians: they're used to having people believe them without question, even when their theories (like this one, for example) are borderline absurd. Naturally, this is all predicated on a device that only a handful of people in the world have access to and that only a small percentage of THEM are in any way qualified to operate (what are you gonna do, build your OWN hadron collider and find out for yourself?), so even if the theory is even partially based on REAL findings, there is ZERO chance that anyone in the world will ever be able to call them on it.

But since the scientific hocus-pocus that is the Higgs Boson is entirely immaterial for anything RESEMBLING practical applications of physics, the concept itself -- and the "death by alternate universe" theory -- shall be logged on my library under the heading "Quantum Bullshit."
Old February 21 2013, 09:04 AM   #13
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'd say this sounds like a science fiction story, but it's already been several science fiction stories. Star Trek has already had one episode (DS9: "Playing God") and at least two novels (The Wounded Sky and The Three-Minute Universe) about proto-universes threatening to expand into and eradicate our universe. And I'm sure I've heard of other SF works about the idea too.
Wasn't the mostly execrable film Supernova (2000) based on a similar premise, where the state change was triggered by an alien artifact and a supernova?

Anyway, that the vacuum isn't in its lowest possible energy state has been mooted since at least the 70s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum
Old February 21 2013, 09:56 AM   #14
gturner
Admiral

newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
I shall call it "bullshit."

But since the scientific hocus-pocus that is the Higgs Boson is entirely immaterial for anything RESEMBLING practical applications of physics, the concept itself -- and the "death by alternate universe" theory -- shall be logged on my library under the heading "Quantum Bullshit."
Well, I disagree somewhat with their conclusion. My Excel spreadsheet of the Higgs mass clearly indicates that the new universe, instead of destroying our own, will actually modify the Higgs field and boson-boson interactions in such a way as to give us telekinesis, visions of the future, and probably self-teleportation depending on whether the new-universe electrons have a fractional or integer spin. On the downside we'll have to defeat the orcs again.

/sarc

So like me, you think even von Daniken and Velikovsky wouldn't be associated with such wildly speculative nonsense based on a few rough observations of a particle that's been a fundamental part of the universe since its inception.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 10:24 AM   #15
Saul
Rear Admiral

Well it seems that they are saying that the universe just recycles itself every couple of billion years. Which means we weren't the first universe, or the last and this might have happened lots of times already.

All of this happens has happened before and all of this will happen again?

The science of Star Trek 2009 is getting closer to reality. Black Holes between universes kinda makes sense now....