Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 7 2013, 10:41 PM   #31
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

Re: Ender's Game (2013 Film)

I read Ender's Game years ago and enjoyed it. When the movie was first announced I didn't really care.

But after seeing that trailer? I might have to check it out after all.
Old May 7 2013, 10:41 PM   #32
Takeru
Fleet Captain

The trailer looks good but I refuse to watch this movie, Orson Scott Card is a horrible human being, I will never support anything with his name attached to it.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 10:46 PM   #33
Scout101
Admiral

^^^Mazer Rackham for Kingsley (Ender's last teacher), and Major Anderson for Davis. Not sure the 2nd one really rings a bell for me in the story, but my best guess/recollection is that she (wasn't it a HE in the book?) is the one Graff is talking back and forth with in the emails they start a lot of chapters with? I don't recall Anderson and Graff both being on the station together, but maybe it's just been a while...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 11:01 PM   #34
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Well, Ben Kingsley is certainly doing the action/sci-fi blockbuster rounds this year. My first reaction was "but he doesn't look like a Maori", but not wanting to be ignorant I checked out some pictures of some actual Maori people and yeah, I can see some strong resemblance to the Indian half of his heritage. Plus if memory serves, the character is himself only half Maori.

As for the trailer...I'm cautiously optimistic. It certainly looks well made and well cast (they're certainly not shy about all the Oscar winners & nominees they've hired) but we'll just have to wait and see how well it's all put together. I note that unless I missed it, there's no shots from the Fantasy Game. It could be they're keeping that under wraps. I'd certainly hate if it was cut from the film altogether.

Just from a practical standpoint, I'm not surprised they upped the ages of the characters by a few years (though I though Card was rather insistent that such would not be the case?), but I am glad they went with early teens rather than later.

If nothing else I'm curious to see how they handle the ending/epilogue. Though no surprise to those of us who've read the novel, it might be a bit of a nasty shock for general audiences. Tonally, at least.

I also wonder given how eager (desperate?) studios seem to be these days to get franchises--especially teen/young adult ones off the ground if they're planning on continuing the series. If so, I'm betting they'll be opting for the Shadow series over the 'Speaker for the Dead', 'Xenocide' & 'Children of the Mind' route. I suppose they could go and do the Formic Wars, but that's a whole different genre & target audience.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 11:44 PM   #35
Caliburn24
Commodore

If this is a big enough success to earn some sequels I don't think they'll follow any of the books. Neither the direct sequels or the Bean series would really make good movie material.

Ender's Game is the most cinematic of the lot, and even that has tricky tonal issues, which are not helped by casting the kids older.

And speaking of Bean, I was looking for him and Peter in the trailer, but didn't see either one.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 11:56 PM   #36
The Wormhole
Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
^^^Mazer Rackham for Kingsley (Ender's last teacher), and Major Anderson for Davis. Not sure the 2nd one really rings a bell for me in the story, but my best guess/recollection is that she (wasn't it a HE in the book?) is the one Graff is talking back and forth with in the emails they start a lot of chapters with? I don't recall Anderson and Graff both being on the station together, but maybe it's just been a while...
Yes, I'm pretty sure Anderson was a male in the book. Whatever, it's post nu-BSG, we can deal with this sort of thing. I thought those were actual conversations, not e-mails. Wasn't Anderson Graff's second in command?
Old May 8 2013, 02:11 AM   #37
Blue_Trek
Captain

Trailers up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vP0cUBi4hwE

Harrison's performance seems better in 42.
What do you think ?
Old May 8 2013, 12:06 PM   #38
Scout101
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Yes, I'm pretty sure Anderson was a male in the book. Whatever, it's post nu-BSG, we can deal with this sort of thing. I thought those were actual conversations, not e-mails. Wasn't Anderson Graff's second in command?
Yeah, male/female doesn't really matter in this context. And yeah, think he was the 2nd in command. Or maybe even the one running the show while Graff wasn't around as much?

Either way, don't really think they were together much if at all, as all of their correspondence was via the same kind of message board deal that Val and Peter were using. At least I thought that was the deal, maybe there was some actual voice calls, but don't think they were really together...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 01:51 PM   #39
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

After seeing the trailer my interest is waning. Tattoo face just looks funny and unneeded. Looks like it will slip from theater to streaming fairly quickly which is where I will take it in.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 02:31 PM   #40
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Either way, don't really think they were together much if at all, as all of their correspondence was via the same kind of message board deal that Val and Peter were using. At least I thought that was the deal, maybe there was some actual voice calls, but don't think they were really together...
Now I wish I still had my copy of the book, because I thought I remembered those as being live spoken conversations.
Old May 8 2013, 03:06 PM   #41
RoJoHen
Awesome

Icemizer wrote: View Post
Tattoo face just looks funny and unneeded.
Except that he's kind of an important character in the book.
Old May 8 2013, 04:15 PM   #42
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

Just seen the trailer... Jesus fuck, did they actually (kinda) spoil the ending?
Old May 8 2013, 04:18 PM   #43
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

I doubt anyone who hasn't read the book will realize what's happening.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 04:23 PM   #44
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
I doubt anyone who hasn't read the book will realize what's happening.
Just from seeing the trailer, no. But I'm curious to see how many people will figure out the "twist" before the actual reveal. I figured it out about half way through the battle.
Old May 8 2013, 04:44 PM   #45
farmkid
Commodore

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
Ender's Game is the most cinematic of the lot, and even that has tricky tonal issues, which are not helped by casting the kids older.
I've wanted to see this as a movie ever since I read it about 25 years ago, so needless to say I'm excited about this. Nevertheless, I would be lying if I said i wasn't a bit worried too. While the story has a lot of stuff in it that would look great on a screen, much of what makes the story what it is takes place in Ender's mind and doesn't lend itself well to visual presentation. Seeing that the studio is aiming it at the teen demographic and wants to make it the next franchise like Twilight/Harry Potter/etc. only makes me more worried that they'll just emphasize the visually impressive stuff at the expense of the heart of the story. Card's statement about what to expect only deepens those fears.