Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old March 16 2013, 04:15 AM   #1
Captain Nebula
Lieutenant Commander

What would a new Runabout be like?

So, if you were to redesign the Runabout, what would you include or discard?

I would think it would be updated with tech from the Sovereign and Defiant classes, Data's scout ship, and the Delta Flyer.

Still a small ship, but maybe even made into a new class, like a Cutter or something?

But what would that be like?

(Just thought the folks here might have fun coming up with some ideas)
Old March 16 2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Forbin
Admiral

Re: What would a new Runabout be like?

It would have that pine-fresh, new runabout smell!!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

The Danube class runabouts seemed to be a fairly practical design as-is. Aside from technical updates and such I don't see the need for any huge changes to be made.
Old March 16 2013, 10:32 PM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I think the Danube-class will be around for a long time, well into the 25th-Century. By then, it could be significantly faster with a much larger operational range, IMO.
Old March 16 2013, 11:11 PM   #5
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

I would like to see a (very slightly) larger, more combat ready ship with some bunks and living / crew area / lab.

Sleeker and more in keeping with the Sovereign design ethos. Still recognisably a development of the runabout though.
Old March 16 2013, 11:43 PM   #6
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

I agree. Runabout is fine as-is, no need to change what works so well. Should have a long service life.

Also, the design features modular component construction, adaptable in many ways. I'd imagine this allows significant upgrading allowing a longer service life before the class is retired for some newer vessel.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 11:54 PM   #7
NCC-1701-B
Fleet Captain

It would be slightly smoother, with more modern nacelles, maybe slightly wider and longer, just to fit more usable space inside. and instead of the conference room at the rear, small bunks for maybe 4 people, and a smaller open room for passengers. Not much different in design, just technology.

Hellooo...
NCC-1701-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 11:42 AM   #8
Timo
Admiral

Umm, the conference room at the rear does have small bunks for four people... (Or did, until those were recycled as Defiant bunks.)

But yeah, smoothing in the same style as the change from the standard VOY "Type 12" speedboat to the roughly similar shuttle flown by Admiral Janeway in the finale. Possibly a slight change in size. For some reason, TNG movie shuttles have been larger than the original TNG series ones - Starfleet might do the same with their runabouts, for unknown reasons.

Older runabout types would also be fun to visualize. Something fitting the TNG Type 7 shuttle style for mid-24th century (possibly the big warpshuttle in "Skin of Evil" was actually an older runabout?). A TOS movie design - I have no real ideas for this.

And a TOS design... The craft seen in "Way to Eden" would be a very nice TOS runabout, or perhaps slightly pre-TOS so that civilians have now acquired these surplus models. Older, clumsier tech, so it's bigger and has real trouble landing (but perhaps it can still manage?).

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 03:51 PM   #9
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile

I think it's fine the way it is.. Maybe a bit stronger engines.. Longer range.. Stronger shields.. Etc etc etc..
Old March 17 2013, 04:06 PM   #10
Forbin
Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
Older runabout types would also be fun to visualize. Something fitting the TNG Type 7 shuttle style for mid-24th century (possibly the big warpshuttle in "Skin of Evil" was actually an older runabout?). A TOS movie design - I have no real ideas for this.

And a TOS design... The craft seen in "Way to Eden" would be a very nice TOS runabout, or perhaps slightly pre-TOS so that civilians have now acquired these surplus models. Older, clumsier tech, so it's bigger and has real trouble landing (but perhaps it can still manage?).

Timo Saloniemi
I officially call this a "heavy shuttlecraft" because "runabout" IMHO refers strictly to the TNG era class of vessel. My TOS version is a bit smaller, but I guess it's similar, except it's not modular.

http://www.inpayne.com/models/kitbas...uttle_vgr.html
Old March 19 2013, 05:45 AM   #11
SoM
Commander

Timo wrote: View Post
Umm, the conference room at the rear does have small bunks for four people... (Or did, until those were recycled as Defiant bunks.)
I think some people miss this because the back room only appeared in TNG, oddly enough, despite being constructed with use on DS9 in mind (the set was originally built under the TNG budget, but afterward DS9 preferred not to spend the cash to erect it for what would probably have been short scenes, leading to scenes where crew members apparently fall asleep in the cockpit chairs rather than go aft to use the bunks and making it understandable that people thought there weren't meant to be bunks!).
SoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 07:01 AM   #12
sojourner
Admiral

Here's the best updated runabout design I've seen. The thing that puts it over the top is that the modular parts are backwards compatible with the Danube class. A genius bit of modeling there.
http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/s...light=runabout

(starts at post #43 in that thread)
Old March 19 2013, 02:01 PM   #13
Forbin
Admiral

As I understand it, the modular layout of the dern thing included sleeping cabin modules between the cockpit and the aft compartment module. They weren't always necessarily mounted, but i think the DS9 tech manual refers to them.
Old March 19 2013, 11:31 PM   #14
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Right on. I've seen a lot of fan work with the adaptablity of the modules--passengers, medical evac, labs modules, cargo modules, and so on.

With the warp spine component separate, and the seemingly detachable cockpit assembly, the runabout seems incredibly upgradable. A long long lifespan before the class becomes obsolete.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 02:22 AM   #15
SicOne
Commodore

I was of the understanding that the driving factor behind the design of the Danube was the size and configuration of the standard Federation cargo modules. I figure that they determined the size and shape of the cargo modules years before, engineered the cargo sections of capital ships accordingly, and thus built the Danube to ferry 4, 2, or 1 of them at a time, depending on whether a quarter-module, half-module, or full-module....in much the same manner that standard 40, 48, and 53-feet cargo containers drive the design of intermodal railcars, adjustable flatcar trailers for semi-trucks, and container ship racks.
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote