RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,701
Members: 24,832
Currently online: 486
Newest member: eltonlight

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 13 2013, 11:10 PM   #31
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Re: Trek Year: To Boldly Watch Every Episode in One Year

teacake wrote:
I could easily watch it all in a year but review it all? That takes heroic stamina. I'd get sick of talking about it before I got sick of watching it.
I think it's neat that he's documenting his opinions on the episodes as they are not fromal reviews it's more of a journal. How many times have we've seen in here that someone boldly declare they are going to watch all of Star Trek, then we never here from them again?

Lord Garth wrote:
TOS is much better known than it's actually been watched.

As a result, those who haven't seen TOS take the exaggerations at face value. Those who haven't seen TOS in a very long time, have fuzzy memories and only the what stands out famously or infamously sticks out and that feeds into what others hear about it and taking that at face value. And tastes changed, so there would be fans of TNG who didn't like TOS.

All of that adds up over time. So yeah, the image of TOS and what's built up from the myth and the stories is a lot different from what I thought when I was sitting down and actually watching it.
I agree with this I also think TOS has acquired a bit of a sacred cow status, among SF enthusiasts and the general public to the point where it's seen as TOS is the only Trek worth watching/caring about.

Lord Garth wrote:
Even the third season, I wouldn't call it a bad season as a whole, just a mediocre season with an equal handful of good and infamously bad episodes... but I'll wait until you post your S3 review until I get into that.
Season 3 does have the highest concentration of crummy eps in it, you can thank Fred Freiberger for that.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 02:31 PM   #32
feek61
Captain

Leroy wrote: View Post
Season 3 does have the highest concentration of crummy eps in it, you can thank Fred Freiberger for that.
Well, really more like you can blame severe budget constraints and the departure of key personnel and in addition; no writers wanting to contribute to a show that everyone knew was in it's last season. I think to some extent Fred gets a bad wrap because he was so limited with what he could do. Truth is it was Roddenberry who abandoned the show. There was really no reason for him to leave other than the fact that he knew there was no future in Star Trek and wanted to move on to something else to generate income. With Roddenberry gone, Bob Justman gone and Finnerman gone; Fred really didn't have much to work with. It is amazing that he was able to produce stellar episodes like "All Our Yesterdays," "The Enterprise Incident," "Elaan of Troyius," "The Tholian Web," etc.
Old April 14 2013, 05:27 PM   #33
Trek Year
Ensign

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
That is a very insightful point! With your permission I'd love to use that phrase in one of my videos, and give you full credit for it.

I really want to thank you all for watching my videos and commenting. Honestly, if no one was watching I don't think I would keep doing this. You guys are such a big part of why I am doing this.
Trek Year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 06:05 AM   #34
Lord Garth
Captain

Trek Year wrote: View Post
Lord Garth wrote: View Post
That is a very insightful point! With your permission I'd love to use that phrase in one of my videos, and give you full credit for it.
By all means.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote