To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 5 2013, 12:15 AM   #46
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Inner Light and other alternate reality episodes

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
I only want to chime in on a common nitpick of the episode...that after 30 years of living an alternate life, Picard shouldn't be able to remember how to fix a stopped up toilet, nevertheless run a starship: I can only assume that the probe was designed to prevent such things....as opposed to what happened to O'Brien later down the line.
A very valid point. DS9 at least had O'brien out of sorts for a week after his traumatic experience, even if he went from about to kill himself to perfectly fine the next week. They could've had Picard take the next week off rehabilitating or something.

As for all the mind rape accusations? Well it's a valid point. Picard had no choice, from his view his life was stolen and replaced by one of someone else's choosing. Sure it was well intentioned, but it was a violation. The only difference between this and Voyager's Memorial is that intent. The Inner Light's probe just wanted Picard to witness and live their culture so they'd be remembered. Memorial wanted everyone to live through their crimes so everyone would know what dicks they are.

The Inner Light's rapist just turned out to be a nice fellow despite the rape. Whereas Memorial's wasn't. Don't get me wrong, Inner Light was a great episode(and Memorial wasn't), but it doesn't change the fact that they did violate Picard to the very core.
Old April 5 2013, 12:25 AM   #47
Mojochi
Commodore

I also figure that it's the 24th century, so maybe rehabilitation is a lot better. Riker was back at it shortly after "Frame of Mind", & Picard after assimilation & Cardassian torture, & Geordi was doing alright soon after his brainwashing. We can just assume they know how to treat it better 300 years from now
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 05:30 PM   #48
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Mojochi wrote: View Post
I also figure that it's the 24th century, so maybe rehabilitation is a lot better.
Initially rehabilitation plays no part. Picard recognizes the bridge of the Enterprise within seconds of regaining consciousness . He doesn't speak to Will Riker as if he were someone he hadn't seen for thirty years. The "life experience" aspect of the alien download obviously begins to disappear immediately. Picard remembers elements of the story line he was exposed to, and is effect by it. But it's not like he personally lived thirty years off the ship and then return after that time.

O'Brien continues to remember the time he spent imprisoned personally, the impression I received from that episode is that it would remain with him as an actual event in his life always.

Picard realizes very quickly that the download wasn't real.

R. Star wrote: View Post
The Inner Light's rapist just turned out to be a nice fellow despite the rape.
Interesting way of putting it. Maybe like the guy who hurts women, but keeps his lawn nicely kept up.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 05:56 PM   #49
R. Star
Rear Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post

R. Star wrote: View Post
The Inner Light's rapist just turned out to be a nice fellow despite the rape.
Interesting way of putting it. Maybe like the guy who hurts women, but keeps his lawn nicely kept up.

More like the guy who wants to cuddle with the rape victim after the deed. Picard then decided it was some good cuddling and overlooked the violation.
Old April 6 2013, 10:09 PM   #50
Mojochi
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Initially rehabilitation plays no part. Picard recognizes the bridge of the Enterprise within seconds of regaining consciousness . He doesn't speak to Will Riker as if he were someone he hadn't seen for thirty years. The "life experience" aspect of the alien download obviously begins to disappear immediately. Picard remembers elements of the story line he was exposed to, and is effect by it. But it's not like he personally lived thirty years off the ship and then return after that time.

O'Brien continues to remember the time he spent imprisoned personally, the impression I received from that episode is that it would remain with him as an actual event in his life always.

Picard realizes very quickly that the download wasn't real.
I'm not so sure. I mean, perhaps the readjustment might be lesser than say spending 30 years in a POW camp & being dropped back into your home

But still, it's clear that even a year later he still remembers the notes to the song he learned in that "20 minutes". He apparently recalls all of the people & events of that encounter as if it was a 30 year period of his life

Even that in itself would require some psychotherapy of some sort, even if to just cope with the grief of losing it & them. He is irrevocably altered from then on.
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 07:02 AM   #51
Tiberius
Commodore

Given that the aliens were able to manipulate Picard's mind, it's likely that they'd also have the ability to make sure that he isn't significantly harmed by what happened...
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 02:42 PM   #52
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Given that the aliens were able to manipulate Picard's mind, it's likely that they'd also have the ability to make sure that he isn't significantly harmed by what happened...
How?

How could they accommodate for every variation of humanoid, vulcanoid, klingonoid and every other -oid out there?

The fact that they sent a probe with no manual, that was self-terminating and included only a flute shows me that these people weren't all that bright.

Instead of putting their accumulated knowledge into something tangible they download a snippet of it into someone who will die at some point and the whole of their culture will die with them, except for the flute and a dead probe.

It's nice in concept, but The Inner Light wasn't a very well thought out episode. In my opinion.
Old April 9 2013, 02:05 AM   #53
Tiberius
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
How?

How could they accommodate for every variation of humanoid, vulcanoid, klingonoid and every other -oid out there?

The fact that they sent a probe with no manual, that was self-terminating and included only a flute shows me that these people weren't all that bright.

Instead of putting their accumulated knowledge into something tangible they download a snippet of it into someone who will die at some point and the whole of their culture will die with them, except for the flute and a dead probe.

It's nice in concept, but The Inner Light wasn't a very well thought out episode. In my opinion.
The very fact that it worked with an alien brain shows that they must have some kind of brain-scanning capability.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 02:07 AM   #54
R. Star
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
How?

It's science fiction... there are some things you just overlook. You may as well complain about things like laser weapons, faster than light travel, aliens that look like humans with funny foreheads and the fact everyone speaks the same language and understands each other. Brain scanning isn't that far out there.