Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old November 10 2013, 11:28 AM   #151
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Re: Rugby Union 2013 Thread

Superficially, a 50-20 result looks pretty good. In reality, it struck me as being very similar to the second Argentina Test - a better side than Italy would probably have beaten the Wallabies on that showing, and we definitely wouldn't have troubled a top-shelf team. It doesn't inspire much confidence ahead of the encounter with Ireland, anyway.
Old November 12 2013, 02:42 PM   #152
Jono
Rear Admiral

I was going to say the same thing about the Italy game and the last match against the Pumas. It was a potential danger game where the opponents didn't live up to what they showed earlier in the year. Italy was underdone for sure and wouldn't have helped and poor goal kicking meant that they weren't able to peg the Wallabies within sight and apply real scoreboard pressure after the Wallabies quick two tries put them in front.

It was at least a general improvement over the England game. Ireland should be a tougher ask, but I'm not sure how to read them at the moment. They had a decent win against a not quite full strength Samoa, but were absolutely terrible in the Six Nations, but I guess so was France and they looked more likely to beat the ABs than the Wallabies did this year.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 10:25 AM   #153
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

English "journalistic" comedy gold, as repeated by the SMH. I needed a laugh when I read it, and it delivered in spades.

I'll be astonished if the All Blacks don't wipe the floor with England this weekend. I'd like to have a fraction of that confidence about our game.
Old November 15 2013, 12:07 PM   #154
NCC1701
Commodore

Meh, English rugby and overconfidence go hand in hand, it's about as predictable as our media's overconfidence whenever we face France, apparantly nobody remembers the last world cup final around here. Motivation won't be a problem for our guys after last year, and with a three game test against England next June now would be a good time to go for the jugular and nip it in the bud for at least the next year. I hope we win by 20, but I'll take a win by 1 point if that's what it takes, the best thing about the test in Paris was that we now know what exactly to improve on after a three week hiatus by the core All Blacks group.
NCC1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 10:01 AM   #155
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Yeah, I was going to be considerably more sarcastic about the article but it's so predictable there wasn't much point acknowledging anything other than the comedic arrogance of a subset of English people. Every country has those, of course, but the English versions seem to be even more pathetic than most.

Still not looking forward to our game.
Old November 16 2013, 10:19 PM   #156
NCC1701
Commodore

The All Blacks win a massive game 30-22 in front of a sell-out crowd at Twickenham. After a converted Savea try in the second minute we dominated the first quarter of the game with a Keiran Reid try, leading 17-3 at one point. England struck back to lead 22-20 at the end of the third quarter, before another brilliant Savea try and penalty by Cruden sealed the deal. Sad to see Carter limping off for his 100th test, at this rate he will be lucky to get to 105 with the numerous injuries he's had over the last couple of years. However, we need just one more big game this year next week against Ireland to seal of a perfect 14 wins from 14 tests this year. Pity the game will be played on Monday morning NZ time so I guess I'll have to catch up on it on Monday night instead.
NCC1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 05:35 AM   #157
Jono
Rear Admiral

Wallabies won 32 - 15 and for the first time in a while they did it without allowing the opposition to score a try.

The Irish forwards will be feeling a bit sheepish today after all the talk of dominating the Wallabies pack, particularly at scrum time only for them to be the ones under pressure and to even get shown up by a seven man Australian scrum. The Wallabies even reversed the feed on an Irish defensive 5m scrum and with their feed resulted in a try. The scrum did still give away 4 penalties I think, 2 for early engagements and 2 for the looseside collapsing so it was still far from perfect.

As good as that sound it has to be measured against the fact Ireland were pretty poor. In fact it was the type of performance that wouldn't be out of place for the Wallabies during the RC, off the pace, static defence, wobbly scrum, poor ball skills, not aggressive enough forwards. They looked very much like a side that only won 1 6N match earlier this year.

As for the Wallabies too many penalties given. They went into the second half only 3 points up despite scoring 2 tries because of it. They also spent 18 minutes a man down. Hooper got a yellow in the first half and Kuridrani got a red card for a spear tackle in the 72nd minute, he also will have to wait and see what the IRB match review committee has to say after any further suspension. Against a better opponent you'd think that the number of infringements by the Wallabies would have been made to pay more dearly for them.

Scotland next. It will be interesting to see how Ewen approaches it and whether he sticks to the "have to field the best side for every game" or if he takes the chance to rest some players. Of course with the Kuridrani situation he might have to make a change anyway. AAC went down during the game, but he did play on for maybe 10 before he was subbed, hopefully it isn't anything serious because if both of them are out it would cause a big problem with who plays at 13. Hopefully it won't come to pass.
Old November 17 2013, 10:06 AM   #158
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

I've only seen the second half but that looked mildly decent, albeit against a rather atypical Ireland side who usually have a go at any and all cost but who looked pretty lifeless. It was quite novel to see our scrum shunting an opponent about and I can't for the life of me remember the last time I saw a Wallaby try from a rolling maul.

Even so it wasn't a performance that would frighten the really good sides. I'm okay with seeing us string together consecutive wins for the first time in what seems like aeons, though.

Scotland have made us look stupid on several occasions in recent years. I won't be at all surprised if that happens again, but maybe there'll be another pleasant surprise.
Old November 18 2013, 05:36 PM   #159
Jono
Rear Admiral

Looks like McKenzie is going to need to make a few changes as the team has stood down 6 players over late night drinking last week. AAC, Cummins, Polota-Nau, Robinson and Gill will be having an enforced break for the Scots game with Ryan missing the Wales match since they need props for the Scotland game. Puts even more pressure on the Kuridrani IRB hearing tomorrow with AAC definitely out for a match.

It doesn't end there, in total there were 15, pretty much half the squad, involved with 5 getting a written reprimand and the other 4 a verbal one.

Crazy stuff, but I guess as a message it does show that McKenzie is ready to back up his talk of straightening up the culture there. Questions will be asked as to why it took a week for this all to come about and I'd say it happening mid-week might have saved them, earlier and Ewen wouldn't be able to rely on the team disruption defence.
Old November 19 2013, 10:40 AM   #160
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Dublin is a quite fabulous place (as is Ireland in general - anyone who gets any sort of opportunity ought to go there) and I can understand people wanting to get out and experience it, but there's a time and a place and given all the dramas with certain people around the team and alcohol / ignoring team protocols / whatever, it wasn't a particularly bright move (to say the least). It'll be interesting to see what happens next.
Old November 24 2013, 04:16 AM   #161
Jono
Rear Admiral

Wallabies won 21 - 15 in a fairly average display, which shouldn't be surprising given all the changes. The good news is they kept the opposition out for a second game in a row, but gave away too many penalties again, including an unnecessary yellow by Simmons for a punch. Leal also had a poor night with the boot (the Scots must have some talisman that puts off Wallaby kickers) only getting 4 of 9, so Scotland was able to stay in sight of the Wallabies for the entire game. At least normal service has resumed and the Wallabies beat Scotland.

The pitch was terrible. I don't think I've seen a stadium with the profile of Murrayfield fall apart from the first minute to such an extent.
Old November 24 2013, 09:05 AM   #162
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

I watched most of the second half live and haven't gotten around to seeing the rest yet, but it didn't seem as though the game reached any great heights. As Jono mentioned the myriad personnel changes made that all but inevitable, but Scotland made things difficult as they've done the last several times we've played them. Odd to see Leali'ifano miss so many shots, which was about the only thing in the bit of the game I saw that stands out for me.

Oh, another thing stood out - the atrocious surface. Murrayfield is supposed to be one of the leading rugby stadiums on the planet but one wouldn't have gained any such impression from today's game.
Old November 25 2013, 09:42 AM   #163
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

So very, very disappointed for Ireland. What on earth do they have to do to finally beat the All Blacks??
Old November 30 2013, 08:33 PM   #164
Jono
Rear Admiral

On my way to bed after another heart stopping Wallabies vs Wales game. 30 - 26 to the Wallabies in the end and another game for Gatland to decree as a not a "real" test, but a "friendly" instead. They looked set with a 14 point lead going into the last quarter when Wales came back hard. Great defence by the Wallabies saw them hold out, even when Cooper got binned with about 8 to go. Some great (and crazy) tries in the game, a lot of big hits and willing contests. A good game to end out the year.

Can't believe that the Wallabies were as close as a inexcusably poor linesman call away from a Grand Slam after how bad things got from the end of the Lions and through the RC. I was ready for only 2 wins, so I'm pleased they got 4.
Old December 1 2013, 09:13 AM   #165
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Amazing game. The first half especially was as good a half of rugby as I've seen in a very long while and highlighted just about everything that makes the sport great. Both sides threw pretty much everything possible at each other and deserve plaudits for it.

On the whole it's been a pretty disappointing year for Australian rugby but that was a welcome high point to finish on. The "new era" still needs a lot of work and we still wouldn't really have troubled NZ or SA (the numerous instances of poor discipline and poor decisions would have been punished much more severely by NZ in particular) but there's a glimmer of hope there.

See you next year.

Last edited by Orac Zen; December 1 2013 at 09:29 AM.
Orac Zen is offline   Reply With Quote