Beam Me Up Scotty Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

UK Auction To Feature Spock Costume
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pine To Star In Wonder Woman
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Pegg Teases Elba Character
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Should JJ Abrams direct Star Ttek 4
Yes. He should come back and direct the film. 9 29.03%
No. He has moved on 22 70.97%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 17 2015, 11:21 AM   #1
Dales
Commander

Should JJ Abrams direct Star Trek 4?

I know Abrams is having a blast making star wars. he even said its a dream come true for him as he has been dreaming about is as a young kid but I also like to believe it is phrase he still holds on to as a child and he has not gotten over it or has gotten over it without realising he has.

Abrams reminds me of this friend that I once had. As a young lad my friend's had this huge puppy love for this girl in 9th grade and the much of high school and he could never date her. he grows up and meets another girl in college who he dates and falls in love with but his child hood crush comes back and he is so psyched that he dumps his college girlfriend to date his childhood crush only to realise he is actually in love with his college girlfriend and his childhood crush was just a crush and a phrase in his life he has gotten over without even knowing and neither was it real adult love like he had with his college girlfriend. it was puppy love.

That is the way I see Abram's with trek and wars. JJ fell in love with trek as an adult and he feel in love with star wars as a kid and now he has gone back to his first love/crush but he will then realise his first love (star wars) is not his real true love but a phrase he had to get over or has gotten over as an adult without even knowing especially after making 2 star trek films and this will make him come back to star trek and make the 4th film like my friend went back to his college girlfriend.

Fingers crossed. I hope he returns.

Last edited by Dales; July 17 2015 at 03:49 PM. Reason: wrong title
Dales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2015, 01:00 PM   #2
Dukhat
Rear Admiral

Re: JJ Abrams should direct Star Trek 4

Well, while it's interesting that you think you're able to determine Abrams's mental state simply by reading a few words from an interview, I declined the poll, because I honestly don't care who directs future Star Trek movies as long as they're good.
Old July 17 2015, 01:07 PM   #3
gazomg
Captain

does not matter who directs it, produces it writes it or whatever, the damage is done in my opinion,

From a technical standpoint I am sure there are plenty of directors that could do as good or bad a job as abrams has done

For those that love 2009, STID and no doubt STB they will not care, I think those that have lost faith in this alternate stuff dont really care, a new director might improve things but its too little too late

http://gazomg-trek-art.blogspot.ie/
gazomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2015, 01:15 PM   #4
Dukhat
Rear Admiral

gazomg wrote: View Post
does not matter who directs it, produces it writes it or whatever, the damage is done in my opinion,
What damage is that?
Old July 17 2015, 01:21 PM   #5
gazomg
Captain

Dukhat wrote: View Post
What damage is that?
the way most things have been cast aside.
How to me the recent movies have dismissed trek history , used this alternate reason to bastardize everything.

But I have to be careful I say too much for fear of my opinion will cause offense to others and I get into trouble for saying such things.

Old July 17 2015, 01:25 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

...I honestly don't care who directs future Star Trek movies as long as they're good.
Pretty much where I'm at. If Justin Lin does a good job then I'll be all for him to handle Star Trek 4.
Old July 17 2015, 01:26 PM   #7
Dukhat
Rear Admiral

How to me the recent movies have dismissed trek history , used this alternate reason to bastardize everything.

But I have to be careful I say too much for fear of my opinion will cause offense to others and I get into trouble for saying such things.
Well, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Although that opinion would usually hold more weight if there were specific points of contention than just "the way most things have been cast aside," "dismissed Star Trek history" and "alternate reason to bastardize everything." Those are pretty nebulous statements that are hard to take seriously without context.

The problem I find is that most Abrams haters on this board tend to use those types of statements to justify their hatred, which of course fall on deaf ears because of the very nature of their nebulousness. Only a select few have given justifiable, meaningful reasons why they don't like the new films.
Old July 17 2015, 01:34 PM   #8
gazomg
Captain

Well, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Although that opinion would usually hold more weight if there were specific points of contention than just "the way most things have been cast aside," "dismissed Star Trek history" and "alternate reason to bastardize everything." Those are pretty nebulous statements that are hard to take seriously without context.

The problem I find is that most Abrams haters on this board tend to use those types of statements to justify their hatred, which of course fall on deaf ears because of the very nature of their nebulousness. Only a select few have given justifiable, meaningful reasons why they don't like the new films.
I could expand but would only serve to start another debate where people would seek to insist I was wrong.

As for a new director, lets hope they will understand lens flare and the obsession with them is not the way forward.

Old July 17 2015, 01:36 PM   #9
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I liked the lens flares. It gave the Abrams movies a distinctive look/style.
Old July 17 2015, 01:40 PM   #10
Dukhat
Rear Admiral

I could expand but would only serve to start another debate where people would seek to insist I was wrong.

As for a new director, lets hope they will understand lens flare and the obsession with them is not the way forward.
Notice that I didn't say you were wrong. Just that your reasons lacked context.

And FWIW, I didn't care for the lens flares either. As a matter of fact, I hate the new Enterprise design. But those things didn't stop me from my personal enjoyment of the movies. They're just window dressing to me.
Old July 17 2015, 01:45 PM   #11
Trek Survivor
Captain

I'm not against him coming back, but I am also quite happy if others want to come and take a swing at it. Hopefully Lin delivers a great movie; I would welcome see other directors also doing so.
Old July 17 2015, 01:51 PM   #12
Firebird
Lieutenant Commander

There's no point in even thinking about who should direct a possible fourth film until we have some indication of how Justin Lin is doing. Frankly, I'm excited to see what he's gonna do. It's far too early to be putting the cart before the horse.

I find it interesting you made a poll, Dales, yet your title for the thread makes a strong case for you not really being interested in the dissenting opinions.
Old July 17 2015, 01:59 PM   #13
grendelsbayne
Captain

I think Abrams has done some good things for Trek and some bad things. I don't see any likelihood that he would improve the things I dislike if he came back, so I'd just as soon he not come back (and I very much doubt he will). My ideal situation would be to have a new person running the show who can take all the good Abrams did and build it further while getting rid of the bad. I hope Lin is the guy who can do that, though I have no idea really.

But it's not like I'll be storming the lot if Abrams does return. I'll give any movie a shot - especially as long as we still have these actors (imo, the best thing that Abrams has done for Trek is the casting).
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2015, 02:04 PM   #14
Dukhat
Rear Admiral

Firebird wrote: View Post
I find it interesting you made a poll, Dales, yet your title for the thread makes a strong case for you not really being interested in the dissenting opinions.
I think he meant to type something like "Should JJ Abrams direct Star Trek 4?" like in the actual poll. But then I'd be guilty of inquiring into his mental state just like he seems to be doing with Abrams.

Last edited by Dukhat; July 17 2015 at 02:15 PM.
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2015, 03:48 PM   #15
Dales
Commander

From a technical standpoint I am sure there are plenty of directors that could do as good or bad a job as abrams has done

For those that love 2009, STID and no doubt STB they will not care, I think those that have lost faith in this alternate stuff dont really care, a new director might improve things but its too little too late
I must admit, Into darkness made me loose faith in the alternate stuff but I have still held on to hope
Dales is offline   Reply With Quote