The Next Generation Shower Curtain
By: T'Bonz on May 1

Burton Part of Roots Reboot
By: T'Bonz on May 1

May-June 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 30

Ross To Attend Trek Convention
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 11 2015, 02:13 PM   #1
ScottDS
Captain

Star Trek 3's getting a new costume designer and DP

I was perusing the IMDb page of the next film and it looks like Justin Lin is bringing his Fast & Furious collaborators to the Trek universe.

(I know IMDb isn't always accurate but I did my best to get secondary sources.)

Star Trek will be getting its first Australian cinematographer as Stephen Windon, ACS replaces Claudio Miranda, ASC.

http://wp-a.com/#upcomingreleases

Windon's previous credits include HBO's The Pacific (for which he was nominated for an Emmy), four Fast/Furious films, the second GI Joe film, House of Wax, Deep Blue Sea, and The Postman.

And the costume designer will be Sanja Milkovic Hays.

http://www.innovativeartists.com/upl...web.resume.pdf

If that name sounds familiar, it's because she was the costume designer on Star Trek: Insurrection (which, IMHO, had some ugly costume design). Her other credits include all of the Fast/Furious films, Blade, Mission to Mars, the Total Recall remake, and the third Mummy film.

Like most modern blockbusters, I expect this film will look just fine... but will it be distinctive and memorable?

(Incidentally, my dream Trek DP would be Roger Deakins, Darius Khondji, or Emmanuel Lubezki. And my dream Trek costume designer would be this woman. Uh... the designer, not the model. )
ScottDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2015, 02:37 PM   #2
Dennis
The Man

Re: Star Trek 3's getting a new costume designer and DP

The Furious films are distinctive and memorable, so probably yes.
Old April 11 2015, 03:46 PM   #3
Malaika
Commander

I mentioned it somewhere in the simon pegg writing the script thread a little while ago
it seems even Giacchino isn't confirmed

Honestly I see no reason for replacing Kaplan as a costume designer and I was already looking forward to see what Claudio Miranda would do on the cinematography.
Old April 11 2015, 05:45 PM   #4
ScottDS
Captain

Malaika wrote: View Post
I mentioned it somewhere in the simon pegg writing the script thread a little while ago

Honestly I see no reason for replacing Kaplan as a costume designer and I was already looking forward to see what Claudio Miranda would do on the cinematography.

I'm sure Giacchino will be involved but at this point, it wouldn't surprise me if Brian Tyler gets the gig.

And yeah, I was also looking forward to Miranda's work.
Old April 12 2015, 08:06 AM   #5
J. Allen
Equine Sophist Simulacrum

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I liked the costume design on INS, so I think this will turn out just fine.

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2015, 10:44 AM   #6
Malaika
Commander

I love Giacchino's work for these movies and I'll really feel like something is missing if he isn't comfirmed in the last movie. So far, he would be the only connection with the other two.

The costume designer..I guess she'll just work on the new ones for new characters since Kaplan already did most of the job with the reimagined iconic costumes of the crew, and I don't see them changing them because that would cost money to paramount.
They didn't add the rank on Uhura's costume in the sequel, it figures if they change them all now.
Still, Kaplan is cool. I love his approach because he creates stuff that is futuristic but still looks normal and something you could wear nowadays too. His reimagined version of the tos uniforms looks more realistic and functional (beside the short skirt lol) to me than the original.
Old April 12 2015, 01:14 PM   #7
ScottDS
Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Different strokes for different folks.

I loved Deborah Everton's costume design for First Contact (especially Cochrane's ensemble) so the costumes in Insurrection were a bit of a letdown. Maybe it's the difference between designing 21st-century civilian clothes vs 24th-century civilian clothes.

Looking over Hays' work, she's done some good stuff since Insurrection.
Old April 13 2015, 04:36 AM   #8
eyeresist
Fleet Captain

Malaika wrote: View Post
Good news for some of us.

The INS costume credit is a little worrying...

If we're discussing costumes for the TNG films, I liked the Reman outfits from NEM, with their beetle-like black iridescence.
Dean: It's like I don't even know you guys anymore. Star Trek Four! Save the whales!
eyeresist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2015, 04:23 PM   #9
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I'm really curious how much visual continuity they'll keep between this and the first two. Even Trek movies by the same director have had massive visual changes (see: the Bird of Prey bridge between III and IV), let alone when director is changed (the Enterprise-A bridge between IV and V). Abrams' ST'09 and ID may have had the best visual continuity of the entire movie series!

Most importantly of all, though, is characterisation continuity - but with Pegg co-writing I'm confident they'll get it right.
Old April 13 2015, 04:28 PM   #10
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Well, at least INS had something to pass on to future movies

I'm hoping that non-Starfleet clothes look pretty unique. Offtopic, but one thing that irked me about Voyager was the costumes. The crew would meet a new civilization almost every week, but many in the Delta Quadrant seemed to have the same emphasis on shoulders and collars -- like Starfleet.
Old April 13 2015, 09:27 PM   #11
Mach5
Rear Admiral

[plinkett]EARTH TONES![/plinkett]
Old April 14 2015, 01:52 AM   #12
J. Allen
Equine Sophist Simulacrum

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

ScottDS wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Different strokes for different folks.

I loved Deborah Everton's costume design for First Contact (especially Cochrane's ensemble) so the costumes in Insurrection were a bit of a letdown. Maybe it's the difference between designing 21st-century civilian clothes vs 24th-century civilian clothes.

Looking over Hays' work, she's done some good stuff since Insurrection.
I think it was the novelty of seeing mid-21st century clothes. Still, Hays seems competent and capable, so my fingers are crossed, and I'm thinking positive.

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2015, 03:19 AM   #13
eyeresist
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I'm really curious how much visual continuity they'll keep between this and the first two.
That will be a big point of interest. I think it's generally agreed they'll keep the costumes, but I have a feeling they might move a bit away from the Apple-design interior, maybe to something a bit more metallic and moody, or else to something with a more "classic" feel. I don't think the change will be drastic.
Unless there's a real economy drive on the new movie, they'll probably stay with the same effects houses. The ship exterior may be tweaked, but that might be more due to the designers than the director.

These are my predictions.

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
I'm hoping that non-Starfleet clothes look pretty unique.
I'm hoping the opposite - attempts to predict future fashion are generally lame (e.g. those stupid bolero jackets). Better to try for a "timeless" look. I would make an exception if all earthlings wore silver onesies!
Dean: It's like I don't even know you guys anymore. Star Trek Four! Save the whales!
Old April 14 2015, 03:53 AM   #14
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

eyeresist wrote: View Post
Cyke101 wrote: View Post
I'm hoping that non-Starfleet clothes look pretty unique.
I'm hoping the opposite - attempts to predict future fashion are generally lame (e.g. those stupid bolero jackets). Better to try for a "timeless" look. I would make an exception if all earthlings wore silver onesies!
I should clarify that I'm talking more about all the other alien races and cultures out there that comprise Star Trek in general, not just humans. With two movies centered on Earth, we've seen what humans wear already. I'd rather not have aliens that are just wearing Earth brand names -- then we get into just as much uniformity as Voyager had with its distant civilizations, who were all separated from each other by light years but seemed to have the same tailor (and, actually, did behind the scenes).
Old April 14 2015, 04:13 AM   #15
eyeresist
Fleet Captain

^ Thanks for the clarification.