Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 27 2013, 04:30 PM   #1
WesleysDisciple
Lieutenant Commander

Prophets Vs Wormhole aliens, as the series progresseses

is it my imagination... or as the show progresses, does it seem to portray them more and more as "Prophets, who federation catalogs as "wormhole Aliens" because it wants to quantify, analyze and rationalize everything, and less "Wormhole aliens, who the quaint and superstitious bajoran's misinterpreted as prophets"

Just it FEELS that way more and more as the series progresses.
WesleysDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 06:07 PM   #2
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Re: Prophets Vs Wormhole aliens, as the series progresseses

Probably it does, yes, and that's probably because that's the way Sisko feels about them too.

At the beginning he's respectful but still definitely only thinking of them in terms of the aliens he's used to dealing with as a member of Starfleet. By the end he's more used to thinking of them in a spiritual context - if not believing them to be gods himself, at least used to dealing with them in that way. Part of it may be just that he's surrounded by Bajorans always referring to them as the Prophets and a person just gets used to that, just like saying sidewalk instead of pavement or bathroom instead of toilet.

And since Sisko is our primary Starfleet POV character in the show, it stands to reason that the show itself would begin to feel that way as well. IMO, natch.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 06:17 PM   #3
_C_
Commander

Michael Pillar said this about them...
"The Prophets and the prophecies and the orbs takes Star Trek into the metaphysical world for the first time. I think this is something Gene would have loved had he lived to see it. We are not changing the rules of the Star Trek universe, we're simply exploring the rules of another alien race, and what they consider important, and we're seeing how we as humans in the 24th century might react to that, how we might learn from that. And I think that that was one of the things which Roddenberry loved about the new Star Trek, that instead of going out and teaching people, as I think the original Star Trek crew did, that this was really an era in which humanity was out to learn, and I think that was the key to Deep Space Nine. We had a very, very good time exploring that, and I think that we were one of the very few television shows that ventured into spiritual and religious areas, and, of course, as long as time has existed, stories about spiritual pursuits, Bible stories have been great story telling. And it gave us great themes to explore."
Source: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Prophet
Old February 28 2013, 01:41 AM   #4
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

The Prophets also did more and more godly things by the end of the series, which could all both be explained by 'They are divine' or by 'They are 4d aliens who can see the future'. Both explanations are portrayed as correct and it seemed to come down to just whether you were a spiritual person or not.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 01:44 AM   #5
_C_
Commander

^You said it better than I could.