Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 1 2011, 03:16 AM   #1
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Ghostbusters Comic Book

It seems a new Ghostbusters comic book started up this month with a #1 issue having come out just a few days ago.

It's not too bad. The book starts off with an Exposition Dream with Ray dreaming a talkshow that introduces us to all of the Ghostbusters and what their characters are (Peter as the Doctor who's more talk and show, Egon as the over-thinking stiff, Ray as the eager scientist and Winston as non-doctorate everyman.)

The book seems to be set in the post-GB2 timeline, the events of that movie being blamed on Peter McNichol's character and the Ghostbusters, near as I can tell, are somewhat of a city-provided service sort of like how they're portrayed in the video game that came out last year.

Janine's character design is closer to her cartoon counterpart than it is the movie one, the rest of the Ghostbusters look like their movie versions, though the comic is a "stylized" type of art common in present-day cartoons rather than realistic human drawings.

The first story in the comic ends on a cliffhanger and then starts a short second story sort-of setting up an "arc" in the comic's series (again, making it appear the Ghostbusters are being made into a city-provided service overseen by a certain city official.)

It's not too bad of a read, actually. The "banter" and characterizations are more in line with the first movie than it is either the second movie or the cartoon, near as I can tell the book takes place in "present day", although everyone is still "young." It may be a possible continuity shift placing the events of the movies a few years ago rather than a couple of decades ago.

The firehouse, equipment and Ecto-1A are all nicely drawn and showcased (the Ecto-1A looks mostly like she did in the second movie though it is missing the fins over the rear fenders and it's the standard "no-ghost" symbol rather than the "2" "no-ghost" symbol.)

It's worth a look and read for Ghostbusters fans.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2011, 06:12 AM   #2
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Re: Ghostbusters Comic Book

I saw that in the comic shop, and I wasn't sure what to make of it.
Old October 1 2011, 07:42 AM   #3
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

There's also supposed to be a John Belushi tribute/homage in the book as well. I meant to pick this up. Haven't thought much of IDW's one shots/specials. Hopefully the ongoing will be decent.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; October 2 2011 at 03:21 AM.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2011, 11:16 AM   #4
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yeah there's a John Belushi tribute in it.

Old October 1 2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

CBR preview which includes the Belushi bit. Book's okay, but didn't feel it captured the tone of the films too closely...
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2011, 04:22 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Art is pretty repulsive.
Old October 1 2011, 06:43 PM   #7
SeerSGB
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Art is pretty repulsive.
This. It doesn't really work for the characters. Sort off cartoon meets web-comic (no offense to all the great web comics out there), to much so for my taste.

And the writing in the preview: Feels like they were going for the tone of the animated series, but missed the mark.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2011, 12:00 PM   #8
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I checked out the first issue and enjoyed the story, didn't mind the art compared to some of the other Ghostbusters art work. I would disagree and think it does feel a bit like the films and maybe a darker version of the animated series. Haven't read issue two yet.

Old October 14 2011, 03:07 PM   #9
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I don't mind that art, but the more 'realistic' alt cover is horrible. Obviously they don't have likeness rights to the actors or it's some joke I'm not getting.
Old October 14 2011, 03:16 PM   #10
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ It might be a combination of the two. They didn't have the likeness rights so they decided to depict the characters in a cartoony manner of their film versions as a way to have fun with it.

Old October 14 2011, 10:05 PM   #11
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I wanted to try this but the art has put me off for the ongoing and the mini's that preceeded this.
A guy I know at the comic store has been pushing it on me though. He loved the Belushi bit and insisted I see it since I wasn't going to get it and wouldn't spoil anything for me should I get it later.
He's the only guy I know reading it but says the story is good which backs up Trekker. Maybe as a cheap trade down the road.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2011, 04:31 PM   #12
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I just finally finished issue two and am surprisingly really enjoying this story. The art continues to grow on me and it was nice to see Slimer. The bonus material at the end of the book was nice, I wonder if they're planning on putting together a handbook eventually? That would be cool but perhaps doubtful.

Old October 24 2011, 04:59 PM   #13
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Adm. V'ates wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Art is pretty repulsive.
This. It doesn't really work for the characters.
You guys aren't kidding. With the drawing so generic, it's hard to tell who is supposed to be who. The only one of the four who stands out is Winston, and that's just because of the shading. The other three are random generic guys in Ghostbusters costumes.

This is a pass.
Old October 24 2011, 05:18 PM   #14
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The characters are pretty different looking to me. Peter's head is rounder and he has a widow's peak, Ray is slightly chubbier with a rounder head, Egon is taller, skinner and has glasses.

The artwork isn't great and could certainly be better but I don't find it that terrible.
Old October 24 2011, 10:40 PM   #15
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

The only character art I liked was that of Jake Blues... It captured Belushi's spirit pretty well (no pun intended)...

I loved the cartoon, but I would enjoy more realistic art for a comic.