Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 14 2013, 05:31 PM   #16
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: 24th Century Civilian Clothes

What's regarded fashionable is always a relative thing. What one society considers cool, another may consider horrible, even obscene, due to different standards.
Old February 14 2013, 05:33 PM   #17
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

^^^ Wacky photos but at least consistent.

ST can't get that part straight. It always seems to be a case of anything goes, each more unusual than the next, all at the same time.

I'm okay with ST civvies in speedos or pajamas or robes or five-piece suits with capes or anything else. But shouldn't it be somewhat standard, some sense of general style?

Current day, sure, every type of attire is possible. But generally on any given street people wear similar styles (be it robes or pants or skants or jeans or dresses).

Is this not the case with any ST future fashion?
SchwEnt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 05:46 PM   #18
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

CaptainMurdock wrote: View Post
In terms of Civilian clothes, people of the 22nd Century got it right and in the centuries to come it went downhill.
That's just cos they used current-day clothing with barely any alterations. Ditto the rebooted Star Trek.

Into Darkness, however, seems to be getting a trifle more eccentric. Check out Sunglasses Cap Guy on the centre-left. Perhaps a 23rd century chav in London?
Old February 14 2013, 06:11 PM   #19
Pavonis
Commodore

Fashion sense, as previously stated, is relative. Looking back, we've all worn what we would now consider weird and distasteful clothing, so we should expect future fashions to be just as odd.

While out-of-universe the costuming may not have been well-done, from an in-universe perspective, the clothes sell a society with a different fashion sense. And that fashion sense evolved, too. The civilian duds of the 2360s looked different from the civvies of the 2370s, and both looked different from the clothes of the 2270s.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 02:09 AM   #20
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Dream wrote: View Post
Yes, they always look awful.

Of course, the Trek characters would probably think our 21st century clothes look horrible!
Terrible, maybe.

Boring green/gray shit, probably not.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 11:49 AM   #21
Metryq
Captain

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
It seems every time ST folks are in civvies, each one is in a wildly different style
Perhaps this was intentional? After all, the Federation is supposed to be made up of many different worlds. And while "western" clothing in our world has a general sameness, there are still regional differences. I'm not a fashion expert, so I cannot quantify the exact differences. Yet many times I've seen, say other students at an international university, that looked somehow "different." I later learned the regions of these perceived differences.

"Look at the cut of those trousers! The guy must be a Capellan. No doubt about it."

While the Federation may have routine commerce between planets and maybe even subspace Internet sites, the Denebians know that the Vulcans make the best fuel synthesizers, and salt vampires know how confusing and boring it would be if everyone looked the same.

IDIC.
Old February 16 2013, 07:58 PM   #22
Sam_I_Am
Captain

View Sam_I_Am's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sam_I_Am

yousirname wrote: View Post
Fashion It So is a pretty funny blog that reviews TNG episodes from a fashion perspective. More entertaining than it probably sounds.
Thank you so much for this amazing new blog! I've already red ten pages of it!
Old February 17 2013, 08:30 AM   #23
yousirname
Commander

You're welcome. I binged on the whole thing over about a month.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 07:43 AM   #24
Daybreaker
Cadet

TOS was better in this regard. The clothing didn't look exactly plausible, but it was at least kind of interesting. TNG had everyone sign some kind of binding interstellar agreement that everybody would just look stupid. DS9 tried a little harder, did a little better, still looked kind of silly.

Could have been worse. I think they only had one non-military shirt on Babylon 5, and the actors had to pass it back and forth between takes. Tell me that's not what it looks like they were doing.
Daybreaker is offline   Reply With Quote