RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,437
Posts: 5,507,328
Members: 25,132
Currently online: 529
Newest member: Fluidman

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 15 2013, 08:52 PM   #16
erastus25
Commodore
 
Re: Am I the only one who likes wesley?

Lance wrote: View Post
I've long had a theory about Wesley and TNG. That it was really supposed to be 'his' journey. The series begins with him being something of an audience identification figure, with plots revolving around his rise through the ranks, his first ever 'official' away mission, etc. And one of the last episodes in the very last season is all about him leaving Starfleet, giving a nicely circular sense to his story.

I mean, TNG was always an 'ensemble' drama. But like him or not, Wesley clearly was always supposed to be a 'focus' character, and he is exactly that. A focus. Particularly in the early seasons.

(Does it sound like I'm trying very hard to find nice things to say about him? )
I agree that S1 was the Picard and Wesley show. And I'll admit that I actually kind of liked it!

But, unlike others, I would have enjoyed the "Picard is Wes' dad" plot that they seemed to possibly be setting up in S1. Anything to make characters look like real people and not perfected caricatures of reality.
__________________
"Ford!" he said, "there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out."
erastus25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 10:42 PM   #17
Jeyl
Commodore
 
Jeyl's Avatar
 
Location: Asheville, NC
Re: Am I the only one who likes wesley?

erastus25 wrote: View Post
But, unlike others, I would have enjoyed the "Picard is Wes' dad" plot that they seemed to possibly be setting up in S1. Anything to make characters look like real people and not perfected caricatures of reality.
Oh, wait a second. There's real people, and than there's THE WORST PERSON IN THE WHOLE UNIVERSE. If Picard was in fact Wesley's Dad, this would mean that Picard had done a lot of unforgivable things that only a person with absolutely no positive attributes would commit. It also wouldn't help the fact that,

A. Beverly had not only cheated on her husband, but also lied to him that Wesley was indeed their son.

B. Picard took no measures to make sure this was just a one night fling and instead chose to go all out on this encounter, despite the fact that she was married to an officer under his command.

C. Picard was the one who sent Mr. Crusher on the away mission that resulted in his death. Not to get him out of the way, but when you consider the fact that Picard had knocked his wife up, been lied to that Wesley was his child, and was sent to his death by the real father who will no doubt get your wife for real, you are the unluckiest person in the whole franchise.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 10:50 PM   #18
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Am I the only one who likes wesley?

WesleysDisciple wrote: View Post
I wont kid you, I liked wesley crusher.

Im not sure how much of that, was because I was maybe 11 or so when I started watching the show and enjoyed seeing a charachter who was closer to my age, dealing with issues involving control by gronwups etc, and proving himself smarter then them all.
No, my music teacher in high school loved him. She had several black-and-white pictures of Wil Wheton in her classroom.

It's only all these years later I look back and see how weird and inappropriate that was.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 11:58 AM   #19
Mirror Sulu
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: N. Ireland
Re: Am I the only one who likes wesley?

I've liked Wil Wheaton since Stand By Me, yet I hate Wesley. When I see Wheaton outside of Trek, I'm able to divorce Wesley from the equation and view the two as completely separate entities.
Mirror Sulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 11:51 PM   #20
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Am I the only one who likes wesley?

I like that Wesley was a whiz kid but I wish he'd had a more believable social life for a teenager.

Like, he really had no idea why some people used drugs? I've never used a drug stronger than alcohol but it certainly does not bewilder me that other people want to. And if 24th century anti-drug programs are anything like DARE he probably secretly programmed the replicator to produce it the day after.

And then his attitude toward girls, like in Justice, he really made no effort to get laid?

He seemed like a kid from a show like Full House, except a genius.

If he'd been more like a genius version of Jake, I'd have liked him a lot better.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 03:14 AM   #21
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: Am I the only one who likes wesley?

Kill Wesley, keep Snirkles.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 04:04 AM   #22
Lance
Commodore
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: Am I the only one who likes wesley?

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I like that Wesley was a whiz kid but I wish he'd had a more believable social life for a teenager.

Like, he really had no idea why some people used drugs? I've never used a drug stronger than alcohol but it certainly does not bewilder me that other people want to. And if 24th century anti-drug programs are anything like DARE he probably secretly programmed the replicator to produce it the day after.
As a doctor, you'd have thought his mother would have educated him better in such matters. Maybe she was just too busy with... whatever it is that Beverly prefered doing instead of bringing up her son. Tap dancing, maybe.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 08:29 PM   #23
Freman
Fleet Captain
 
Freman's Avatar
 
Location: Kenora, Ontario, Canada
Re: Am I the only one who likes wesley?

Once they got him out of the "saves the ship every episode" syndrome, I liked him just fine.
__________________
Booyaka!!!!
Freman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 08:38 PM   #24
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Am I the only one who likes wesley?

My opinion is that 60% of the use of Wesley was fine by me, the other 40% was somewhat annoying. I particularly enjoyed his story in WNOHGB, and also his final appearance as a regular. His episodes post-regular were almost all excellent.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 09:43 PM   #25
Kinggodzillak
Commander
 
Kinggodzillak's Avatar
 
Re: Am I the only one who likes wesley?

I didn't start watching TNG until midway through season five, by which time Wesley was only an occasional guest star. The First Duty was the first episode I saw him in, so in a way I got the strongest possible introduction to the character. Even when I saw the earliest TNG episodes, as bad as the Wesley stuff was I still couldn't quite bring myself to hate the guy because I knew he'd get some good stuff in the end.

Even after all these years though, I still can't get used to him being sat in Ro's chair...
Kinggodzillak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 10:00 PM   #26
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Am I the only one who likes wesley?

I never minded Wesley. I still think the ep "Coming of Age" was one of the high points of the first season and a good episode for TNG as a whole.
__________________
The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but
that the lightning ain't distributed right.
— Mark Twain
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 04:41 AM   #27
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander
 
heavy lids's Avatar
 
Location: Denver
Re: Am I the only one who likes wesley?

Wesley definitely doesn't seem as annoying after experiencing Neelix and the entire Enterprise cast.
__________________
"Divine intervention is...unlikely" - The Doctor
heavy lids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 05:17 AM   #28
erastus25
Commodore
 
Re: Am I the only one who likes wesley?

Jeyl wrote: View Post
erastus25 wrote: View Post
But, unlike others, I would have enjoyed the "Picard is Wes' dad" plot that they seemed to possibly be setting up in S1. Anything to make characters look like real people and not perfected caricatures of reality.
Oh, wait a second. There's real people, and than there's THE WORST PERSON IN THE WHOLE UNIVERSE. If Picard was in fact Wesley's Dad, this would mean that Picard had done a lot of unforgivable things that only a person with absolutely no positive attributes would commit. It also wouldn't help the fact that,

A. Beverly had not only cheated on her husband, but also lied to him that Wesley was indeed their son.

B. Picard took no measures to make sure this was just a one night fling and instead chose to go all out on this encounter, despite the fact that she was married to an officer under his command.

C. Picard was the one who sent Mr. Crusher on the away mission that resulted in his death. Not to get him out of the way, but when you consider the fact that Picard had knocked his wife up, been lied to that Wesley was his child, and was sent to his death by the real father who will no doubt get your wife for real, you are the unluckiest person in the whole franchise.
A. No need to lie to Jack. Maybe they came clean, Jack forgave them, and Bev decided it was best to tell Wes that Jack was his father so as to avoid confusing the kid. Based on what we know after S1 this is possible. Obviously it becomes impossible later on when Wes gets the holo-gram from his dad, but I'm looking at it strictly with S1 info. Also, for all we know, Jack and Bev were on a break in the relationship or had an open relationship.

B. Kassidy and Ben show that people still get accidentally pregnant in the 24th Century. Maybe they took precautions and they failed.

C. Picard could have separated his personal life from command and made this decision strictly on professional grounds.

Again, this is obviously not what the series writers intended when we consider post s1 information, but using a "s1 only perspective" there's no need to assume Picard is a terrible person to make it work.
__________________
"Ford!" he said, "there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out."
erastus25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 11:59 AM   #29
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Am I the only one who likes wesley?

Maybe Jack and Jean-Luc were sharing. They were, after all, best friends in an enlightened future. Rodenberry would have loved it.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 12:15 PM   #30
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Am I the only one who likes wesley?

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Maybe Jack and Jean-Luc were sharing. They were, after all, best friends in an enlightened future. Rodenberry would have loved it.
That certainly brings a new meaning to Picard's "I knew your father, Wesley" line.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.