Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 24 2013, 03:37 AM   #151
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Do you believe there is someone for every person?

No, there's not. There are so many nonsensical assumptions contained in the OP's question that no affirmative answer can be justified.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 03:42 AM   #152
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
No, there's not. There are so many nonsensical assumptions contained in the OP's question that no affirmative answer can be justified.
Really? That many? So many assumptions that you just can't create an affirmative answer that's justified?

J. Allen wrote:
Still, I think that statistically speaking, someone on this planet will share your interests and appreciate you for who you are.
That's beyond your ken? What's happened to you, Dennis? You were better at this once.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 03:58 AM   #153
mos6507
Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Really? That many? So many assumptions that you just can't create an affirmative answer that's justified?
You know, a thread like this reflects someone sticking their neck out emotionally around a sensitive holiday when people feel lonely and are asking tough question. I don't think they deserve to have it cut-off. There's a way to make a point without being rude.
Old February 24 2013, 08:19 AM   #154
Kestra
Vice Admiral

mos6507 wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
You know, a thread like this reflects someone sticking their neck out emotionally around a sensitive holiday when people feel lonely and are asking tough question. I don't think they deserve to have it cut-off. There's a way to make a point without being rude.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 09:46 AM   #155
Ulva
Vice Admiral

^+1
Old February 24 2013, 11:26 AM   #156
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^ * 1,000,000.
Old February 25 2013, 04:06 AM   #157
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Sephiroth wrote: View Post
what happens when your someone...dies?
Then, after a proper period of mourning...you go and find a new someone. No one should be expected to be alone for the rest of their lives.
Some people choose not to... holding on the memory of their lost one living solitary to the end, perhaps as an act of faithfulness? I have no idea what it must be like, when you love somebody more than life itself and lose them. If that happened to me later in life, maybe in my 70's or later, I'd probably not go looking for another romantic companion but I wouldn't turn away from someone who I could fall in love with who happens to collide with my life path.
Old February 25 2013, 06:16 AM   #158
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

^If God should choose to place someone else in my life, I hope I could give them as much love as they deserve. Honestly, I just don't know that I would ever love someone as much as I loved Tony. Am I missing out? Maybe, but that is my honest answer at this point.

It has been 7+ years and I still don't think I could ever have that complete of a love again. It would be someone very special, kind and P.A.T.I.E.N.T. to put up with my hang ups about losing my true love. I am in my 50s, am I just too old to try again?
Old February 25 2013, 09:25 AM   #159
Ulva
Vice Admiral

I don't think it's too late at 50. However, I have noticed that as I grow older, the thought of starting over, if this relationship I'm in now fails or he dies, isn't all that attractive. I think that when you're younger you actively seek relationships at least partly because you are expected to, but now, I'd be fine not being in one. I can stand on my own two legs, manage my own life just fine. It would be a bit lonely at times (I know it is because I've been a single parent before, and that's not always easy), but there are many positive aspects of single life too. If I should start over it better be someone really damn special, because I'm over random relationships for the sake of relationships.
Old February 25 2013, 09:27 AM   #160
mos6507
Captain

"If I should start over it better be someone really damn special, because I'm over random relationships for the sake of relationships."

And they better like Star Trek
Old February 25 2013, 09:57 AM   #161
Ulva
Vice Admiral

Of course.
Old February 25 2013, 10:29 AM   #162
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

We were 16, knew each other from infancy, our parents were good friends. Her not being there was like the sun not coming out anymore, like gravity stopped working.
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 10:56 AM   #163
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
I am in my 50s, am I just too old to try again?
Definitely not.
Old February 26 2013, 07:56 AM   #164
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Ulva wrote: View Post
I don't think it's too late at 50. However, I have noticed that as I grow older, the thought of starting over, if this relationship I'm in now fails or he dies, isn't all that attractive. I think that when you're younger you actively seek relationships at least partly because you are expected to, but now, I'd be fine not being in one. I can stand on my own two legs, manage my own life just fine. It would be a bit lonely at times (I know it is because I've been a single parent before, and that's not always easy), but there are many positive aspects of single life too. If I should start over it better be someone really damn special, because I'm over random relationships for the sake of relationships.
I think this is how I also feel.
mos6507 wrote: View Post
"If I should start over it better be someone really damn special, because I'm over random relationships for the sake of relationships."

And they better like Star Trek
Absolutely!
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
I am in my 50s, am I just too old to try again?
Definitely not.
Thanks, RJ!

Side note: I recently discovered my godson has always had a crush on me. He's 21, gay, and decided to tell me a few months ago. I've been letting him know that I think our love for each other is deeper than that... like families love each other! I really am too old for that.
Old February 27 2013, 07:28 AM   #165
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

A few years ago I was depressed, overweight, ugly, boring, stressed out and sad. I was in a horrible marriage that I couldn't walk away from, I had no relationship whatsoever with my two year old daughter, I was working two shitty jobs to pay for a house I couldn't afford, I literally did not have a single friend, and I had long-since given up on the notion that any of my dreams would ever come true. It was so bad that once became so angry that I started crying because I heard some strangers in a parking lot laughing. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that they had something I would never again process- joy.

But you know what? My wife split, took the child, and left me with the house and three credit cards in my name that I didn't even know existed... and it was the best thing that has ever happened to me. Within a year I had lost the house to foreclosure and filed for bankruptcy and divorce. And I started at building a new life for myself- a real one this time. I lost 65 pounds, fought for time with my little girl and learned how to be a daddy, found an amazing woman via an online dating sight who happened to have loads of friends who are spectacular, nerdy people.

Today, I'm healthier, happier and more attractive than I've ever been in my life. I just got married (it was epic, Muppet themed affair and I wore a ridiculously tall top hat), I have an fantastic relationship with my little girl (who is the most hilarious person in the world), and as for those dreams I had given up on, I'm actually making real progress on those now. Life is actually fucking grand.

Back to the topic, I really don't know if there is someone for everyone. But I do know that life sometimes your life seems like it's over when it actually hasn't even started yet.

Last edited by Kelso; February 27 2013 at 07:38 AM.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote