Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 11 2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

The CW Renews Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, Arrow

http://tvline.com/2013/02/11/the-cw-...ries-and-arrow

Pretty much a no brainer for all these shows.
Old February 11 2013, 08:24 PM   #2
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: The CW Renews Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, Arrow

I'm glad to see arrow getting a second season. I'm really enjoying the show.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 08:41 PM   #3
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

I thought this was supposed to be the last season for Supernatural.
Old February 11 2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Beagleman
Captain

Didn't see Supernatural comming but I'm glad about Vamps and Arrow.
Beagleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Supernatural's "last season" was supposed to be 3 seasons ago.

However, the CW is a triffling network that needs to keep anything that has even a modest audience. Thus Supernatural rolls on.

I suspect that like Smallville before it, Supernatural will reach season 10.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 10:46 PM   #6
mswood
Rear Admiral

Gotham Central

Just because Kripke had a 5 year arc (one that he changed dramatically as time went by) doesn't mean that the show was supposed to end. THat isn't a call a creator can make.

And yes SPN will most likely make 10 years (the two leads signed contract extension to cover seasons 9 and 10 late last year). Unless somehow the CW manages to find shows that outperform it, and in large numbers, or if all of a sudden SPN drops dramatically, next season). Out of the 7 years on the CW, only Vampire Dairies has managed to out perfom SPN. Even Arrow which just 11 episodes was scoring 30% stronger then SPN has dropped to tying SPN for its last two weeks. Arrow still has good viewer numbers, but unfortunately viewers over 50 plus really have almost no impact on a shows revenue. And thats were the primary difference between SPN and Arrow has been the last month.

As for the CW, while its a joke of a network, it still plays like all other networks. Meaning it isn't going to cancel its 2nd or 3rd strongest performer just because its been around for a while.

The one exception for this is if, your show became so expensive to produce that it isn't worth it. Or if the cast no longer wishes to stay. Well the cost to produce SPN has always been on the cheaper side, and with only two cast members and very few producers from the beginning, its cost haven't gone up dramatically.
Old February 11 2013, 10:47 PM   #7
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I just got into the show a few months ago, so I figured it would be the last too.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 12:44 AM   #8
MPH
Rear Admiral

Its on record that it will go for 10 seasons.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 01:11 AM   #9
mswood
Rear Admiral

MPH

TEn years isn't an absolute sure thing. Its just very likely.If the CW manages to have success with every single new pilot next year, and if SPN slips more then usual it would very likely get axed.

Its unlikely those events (especially the first) would happen. But its nota sure thing.

What alway kills me is every year I here people say I thought it was its last season (going back to season three even, which after it was taken fully off the air for a month I could at least understand), but after that. Its ratings never had it anywhere near being in jeopardy. Getting early renewals each and every year, since season three (though that early renewal has never been so early for the CW).
Old February 12 2013, 02:26 AM   #10
degra
Fleet Captain

supernatural hasn't been decent since season five,,,I stopped watching it last year,,,it'll end up being the case of another show continuing passed its expiration date.

vampire diaries jumped the shark last year and I haven't seen any indication that it is going to have a turnaround. The angst has just been run in the ground and the plotpoints are either not well developed or reset.
degra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 02:34 AM   #11
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

degra wrote: View Post
supernatural hasn't been decent since season five,,,I stopped watching it last year,,,it'll end up being the case of another show continuing passed its expiration date.
Supernatural has had it's ups and downs for a few seasons, but they introduced a new concept to the show two weeks ago that feels fresh, and many fans feel it could revitalize the show. If you liked it before, it may be a good time to try it again.

Look for the episode "As Time Goes By."
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 02:44 AM   #12
JD
Admiral

I've been really enjoying Arrow and Supernatural so I'm very happy to see them continue. I'm on the fence with TVD, I really like the characters, but the current story is only kinda ok, so I'm not sure if I'll continue with it. I'm going to give to the end of the season before I decide if I'm going to continue with it. But I'm happy for the cast, crew and fans though.
Old February 12 2013, 03:45 AM   #13
degra
Fleet Captain

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
Supernatural has had it's ups and downs for a few seasons, but they introduced a new concept to the show two weeks ago that feels fresh, and many fans feel it could revitalize the show. If you liked it before, it may be a good time to try it again.

yeah I read about the men of letters but I don't see it as something that is going to revitalize the show.

I just got tired of the brotherly angst every season where they keep things from each other and get all pissy and the season long arcs are formulaic and lackluster. No I'd rather remember sn when it was decent
degra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 04:40 AM   #14
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

SPN is actually better now than it's been in two seasons (arguably three; Season Five was kind of a disappointment). I figured the CW would renew it because of its relatively strong numbers, but for the first time in a while I'm actually glad it got renewed. This year's been surprisingly decent and actually feels like the story is headed someplace interesting. Jeremy Carver allegedly has a plan that will culminate at the end of SPN's tenth season, and it's looking like he'll get a chance to finish that plan.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 08:34 PM   #15
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Vendikarr wrote: View Post

Personally, I think that they need to make Felicia Day's character a semi regular and make her one of the new Men of Letters. She really does seem to add something to the character dynamic on the show. She is the first woman to really bond with Dean in a non-romantic way and actually came across like someone he could talk to. Thats HUGE since the man does not talk to anyone.

An interesting direction might be to have Sam build a new MoL, have Dean replace Bobby as the heart of the Hunters and have Castiel really take charge in Heaven. Then have them all band together to hold back the forces of hell.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote