RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,218
Posts: 5,437,872
Members: 24,955
Currently online: 482
Newest member: r.ballman

TrekToday headlines

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 19 2013, 03:08 PM   #91
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: The Pope

chardman wrote: View Post
Pope Allegedly Sought Immunity For Abuse Crimes Just Before Resigning LINK

Said immunity was sought because rumors has it that some international body was about to issue an arrest warrant for the Pope. Here's a link to a whole mess of links about such, via Google LINK
Very interesting.

I consider it very unlikely that the Ex-Pope will go to jail. Even if he will end up in a trial and found guilty.
Considering his age and health the worst that will happen to him is some form of mild house arrest and the church will happily provide a nice golden cage for him.

I hope, though, that this will trigger a full blown investigation that destroys this conspiracy once and for all and the church gets new people in charge who are on the side of justice for a change.

If that happens the whole celebacy thing should also be abolished, as it's a major driving force of priests acting on their darker impulses.

And they need to know, that they can and will be held responsible.
Everone that commits those atrocities in the first place and everyone who helps with cover-ups.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 03:20 PM   #92
Creepy Critter
Admiral
 
Creepy Critter's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: The Pope

I'll be less skeptical of these allegations when the New York Times carries them.
__________________
CorporalCaptain
Creepy Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 04:19 PM   #93
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral
 
Professor McGonagall's Avatar
 
Location: Visiting with Tora Ziyal
Re: The Pope

the whole celebacy thing should also be abolished, as it's a major driving force of priests acting on their darker impulses.
Timelord Victorious, if you have any actual evidence of celibacy being the driving force, please cite it. 'Cause I've never seen any. Many convicted pedophiles are married. The first clergy person I ever heard of molesting a child, decades ago, was a married Episcopal priest. Teachers, Boy Scout leaders and doctors are not required to be celibate, and plenty of them have been charged with various inappropriate actions with their students/scouts/patients.

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I'll be less skeptical of these allegations when the New York Times carries them.
This.

And when Snopes.com posts their conclusion. Right now it says they're researching the allegations.

Last edited by Professor McGonagall; February 19 2013 at 04:32 PM.
Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 10:35 PM   #94
Screamy
LORD SHIT SUPREME
 
Screamy's Avatar
 
Location: Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
View Screamy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Screamy
Re: The Pope

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Timelord Victorious, if you have any actual evidence of celibacy being the driving force, please cite it. 'Cause I've never seen any. Many convicted pedophiles are married.
That proves it!


Wokka wokka.
__________________
ENOUGH OF THIS TURGID BASH WANKERY!
Screamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 11:15 PM   #95
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: The Pope

Well, if I generalized a bit much I apologize.

But I didn't say celibacy is the driving force, I said it is a major driving force. There is a difference.
And of course not only celibate people turn into pedophile sex predators.

i think, most people would agree that most pedophiles have a psychological predisposition of some kind.
I doubt they go out of their way to be evil.

However, I also think, that suppressing your general sexual instincts will certainly not help keep those darker urges in check if you have them.
There is a good chance it will amplify them eventually... in my layman opinion.

And just to be clear, I don't have seen any studies, so it is not a proven statement. So take it as just an opinion.

That said, are there even any studies on percentages of pedophile priests compared to the general public?

At best, there won't be any difference.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 07:04 AM   #96
RevDMV
Rear Admiral
 
RevDMV's Avatar
 
Location: RevDMV in the Bay Area, CA
Re: The Pope

I saw this thread, and I'll I can think of is for a while we're going to have a Nope instead of a Pope...
__________________
Life is good
RevDMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 03:43 PM   #97
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral
 
Professor McGonagall's Avatar
 
Location: Visiting with Tora Ziyal
Re: The Pope

^Groan.

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Well, if I generalized a bit much I apologize.....

So take it as just an opinion.
That works.

That said, are there even any studies on percentages of pedophile priests compared to the general public?

At best, there won't be any difference.
I haven't seen any studies. My suspicion is that any occupation that provides extensive access to children would have a higher percentage of pedophiles than occupations that don't.
Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 10:34 PM   #98
RevDMV
Rear Admiral
 
RevDMV's Avatar
 
Location: RevDMV in the Bay Area, CA
Re: The Pope

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
^Groan.
Multiple 14 hours days, I'm digging deep for any minor chuckles...
__________________
Life is good
RevDMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 11:23 PM   #99
Screamy
LORD SHIT SUPREME
 
Screamy's Avatar
 
Location: Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
View Screamy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Screamy
Re: The Pope

__________________
ENOUGH OF THIS TURGID BASH WANKERY!
Screamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 11:41 PM   #100
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral
 
George Steinbrenner's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: The Pope

RevDMV wrote: View Post
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
^Groan.
Multiple 14 hours days, I'm digging deep for any minor chuckles...
I recommend fish jokes, and lots of them.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 12:52 AM   #101
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral
 
Professor McGonagall's Avatar
 
Location: Visiting with Tora Ziyal
Re: The Pope

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
RevDMV wrote: View Post
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
^Groan.
Multiple 14 hours days, I'm digging deep for any minor chuckles...
I recommend fish jokes, and lots of them.
Your timing codn't be better. I went out to dinner with a friend, and we both haddock fish.
Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 02:17 AM   #102
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral
 
George Steinbrenner's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: The Pope

^ Was it salmon chanted evening?

At least you didn't spend the whole night downloading prawn from the net.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 06:54 AM   #103
Ghost of Sector 7
Rear Admiral
 
Ghost of Sector 7's Avatar
 
Location: Sector 7's Ghost
Send a message via AIM to Ghost of Sector 7
Re: The Pope

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Maestro wrote: View Post
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
- Paul, crucified upside down, because he felt unworthy to die the same death as Jesus Christ.
You are incorrect. Christian tradition holds that the Apostle Paul was martyred, likely by beheading. There is no documented evidence that he was crucified. The only evidence of his death that we have is in the writings of St. Ignatius, whose writings noted the death and martyrdom of Paul.
Sector 7 meant St. Peter. Peter is said to have been crucified upside down. St. Paul was beheaded as you say.
Thank you for the correction. Indeed, I was thinking of Peter and typing Paul. Such a slip, however, does not invalidate the principles of the argument... or the definition of a martyr.

Paul had much to write about the requirements of a bishop/pastor. One of the requirements is to be the husband of one wife. Priests do not meet the requirement, because the Catholic Church forbids them to marry. [1 Timothy 3:2]

Jesus himself said, "And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." [Matthew 23:9] Yet Catholic priests are titled Father so-and-so.

I have never understood these incongruities which are clearly outlined in the New Testament. That and grown men wearing dresses and being denied the option to "be fruitful and multiply" were deal-breakers to a young me. [Of course, once I finally came to terms with being gay... all bets were off anyway!]
__________________
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” -Pres. Obama
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." -Pres. Clinton
Ghost of Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 06:59 AM   #104
RevDMV
Rear Admiral
 
RevDMV's Avatar
 
Location: RevDMV in the Bay Area, CA
Re: The Pope

Ok I'm hooked....
__________________
Life is good
RevDMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 08:53 PM   #105
Screamy
LORD SHIT SUPREME
 
Screamy's Avatar
 
Location: Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
View Screamy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Screamy
Re: The Pope

The Pope will retain his name, assume the title "Pope Emeritus" and be styled as "His Holiness, Benedict XVI". He'll also keep the white papal garb with the exception of the cape and red shoes.
__________________
ENOUGH OF THIS TURGID BASH WANKERY!
Screamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.