A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Dark Mirror.
Outstanding 23 50.00%
Above Average 17 36.96%
Average 4 8.70%
Below Average 0 0%
Poor 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 13 2014, 08:23 PM   #76
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: TNG: Dark Mirror by Diane Duane Review Thread (Spoliers)

I thought Dark Mirror was great. (Only minor nit: I realize the name 'Terran Empire' had not yet been thought of, but I like it better than the 'United Empire of Planets' given in the book.) I especially liked MU Deanna as an Imperial 'political officer', plus of course Barclay. And it's interesting what ended up happening to MU Spock...

As for the dolphin: I thought it was pretty funny when it started freaking out in its quarters (right after the Ent-D found itself in the MU) and Riker goes over to it and whistles at it. Then the dolphin says: "Commander, that was vile language!"

(Wonder what a mirror version of that dolphin character would have been like...)
Old January 13 2014, 10:43 PM   #77
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I like that the diversion point wasn't any one traceable point, really. Picard noticed that Shakespeare's works were different--more ghastly or largely unchanged in parts that already were horrific. Also, the MU Enterprise-D was stronger/faster but the 'Prime' Enterprise had better sensors.
Old January 13 2014, 10:58 PM   #78
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

I noticed that the DM universe had no World War III. Since 600 million people died in that war, I'd have thought that any universe that didn't have it would be absolutely, radically different. Introduce 600 million people into the gene pool who weren't originally in it, and there wouldn't be a single living soul in the DM version of the 24th century who would also be in the regular universe.
Old January 13 2014, 11:11 PM   #79
Christopher
Writer

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
I like that the diversion point wasn't any one traceable point, really. Picard noticed that Shakespeare's works were different--more ghastly or largely unchanged in parts that already were horrific.
Duane's interpretation seemed to be that it wasn't simply an alternate history that branched off at some point, but a universe that was just intrinsically nastier and more conducive to evil, so that its history had been crueler since the dawn of time. It reminds me very much of the concept in her fantasy novel Stealing the Elf-King's Roses, in which different universes have different "ethical constants," moral standards built into the laws of physics themselves, so that some universes (like the one the book's protagonists came from) had cosmic forces that directly punished wrongdoers (or made real the punishments they felt they deserved) while others with low ethical constants were just totally vile and depraved realms with no hope or justice, with our reality being somewhere in the middle.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 11:30 PM   #80
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Duane's interpretation seemed to be that it wasn't simply an alternate history that branched off at some point, but a universe that was just intrinsically nastier and more conducive to evil, so that its history had been crueler since the dawn of time. It reminds me very much of the concept in her fantasy novel Stealing the Elf-King's Roses, in which different universes have different "ethical constants," moral standards built into the laws of physics themselves, so that some universes (like the one the book's protagonists came from) had cosmic forces that directly punished wrongdoers (or made real the punishments they felt they deserved) while others with low ethical constants were just totally vile and depraved realms with no hope or justice, with our reality being somewhere in the middle.
Duane likes the concept of physics having an ethical component, doesn't she? Her Hamalki describe physics as having objective ethical dimensions, and in Intellivore I believe she names Hamalki and Trill as two races whose concept of mathematics has ethical modes?
Old January 14 2014, 12:43 AM   #81
Markonian
Captain

Now that there're two review threads, which of the two polls counts overall?
Old January 14 2014, 12:56 AM   #82
JD
Admiral

zarkon wrote: View Post
Yeah, for my money I don't think Diane Duane ever wrote anything less then a great star trek book.

Dark Mirror is lots of fun. The standout for me has nothing to do with the mirror universe plotline though, it's Hwii. Duane is brilliant at creating memorable characters, and memorable alien species(although from memory I think hwii was originally supposed to be from earth? not sure on that).

Also great to see a more confident Barclay again!

---edit

Felt a bit of deja vu talking about this, did a search and found out why:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=203047

Looks like we already have a review thread for this.
Ooops, I didn't realize that. I honestly didn't even think to search for a review thread for this one.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 09:58 PM   #83
trampledamage
Clone

Unfortunately, while I could merge the thread- you can't merge polls, so one would be lost.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 10:00 PM   #84
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

One does not simply merge polls.

Into Mordor.
Old January 20 2014, 06:14 PM   #85
E-DUB
Captain

Is that like "Don't cross the streams."?
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 12:28 AM   #86
JD
Admiral

trampledamage wrote: View Post
Unfortunately, while I could merge the thread- you can't merge polls, so one would be lost.
I don't mind losing this poll if the other one has more votes.
Old January 21 2014, 02:06 AM   #87
trampledamage
Clone

Very generous of you JD I'll look into sorting it out this evening.

Old January 21 2014, 03:20 AM   #88
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I read the first part of this as a teenager a couple of times. I never finished it but would to like to revisit it. I'd enjoy an old fashioned TNG novel' right about now.
Old January 22 2014, 02:56 AM   #89
trampledamage
Clone

trampledamage wrote: View Post
Very generous of you JD I'll look into sorting it out this evening.
Okay, so a day later than I said I would, but the threads are now merged. It's the original poll at the top of the thread, so if you voted in JD's thread but not the first one could you re-do your vote?

thanks!

Old May 6 2014, 01:45 AM   #90
JD
Admiral

Re: TNG: Dark Mirror by Diane Duane Review Thread (Spoilers!)

It's been slow going, but I finally finished this last night. I read this alongside a bunch of other stuff, and went days or weeks without reading a single page, so it took at least a couple months. It was worth it though, this was a great read. I've actually owned it since it was originally published, but it got shoved around and forgotten about until recently, but it was worth the wait.

My review:
I really enjoyed this one. It's a fun TV series era adventure. The only real issue with it is the fact that it is inconsistent with the version of the MU that we got in the DS9 and the recent novel series, but this is not it's fault since it was written before DS9 had even aired. But that aside this is a great TNG novel. The MU versions of the characters were good villains, with the standout being Troi, who is just plain evil. Duane also did a great job capturing the mid-series era feel of the TV series. I could easily have seen this as episode of the series.
I voted outstanding.