Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: What's your favorite Titan novel??
Taking Wing 11 14.47%
The Red King 5 6.58%
Orion's Hounds 37 48.68%
Sword Of Damocles 10 13.16%
Destiny 12 15.79%
Over A Torrent Sea 11 14.47%
Synthesis 19 25.00%
Seize The Fire 2 2.63%
Fallen Gods 2 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 5 2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Mage
Commodore

Your favorite TITAN novel....

I sometimes get the idea that Titan gets some mixed reactions here on the forum. Some people love it, others hate, others seem caught in the middle.

I'm of the latter group. Titan has been hit and miss for me, with more misses then hits I'm afraid. That being said, two of my favorite novels do come from Titan.

Orion's Hounds is one of those Christopher Bennett novels where he just has the perfect mix of character development, science, fiction, action, humor, drama. I can re-read this one over and over and just don't get bored really.

The other one would be Synthesis. Swallow shows us a great new take on cybernetic life, but also really takes you in with gripping story-telling. The description of the home-system of the Machines takes my breath away every time. Swallow really seams to get the Titan crew.
Old July 5 2013, 09:41 PM   #2
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

Re: Your favorite TITAN novel....

I enjoyed the first two, due to the aftermath of Star Trek Nemesis providing a great backdrop to them.
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 09:53 PM   #3
JD
Admiral

Orion's Hounds is one my favorite books. It's a great traditional strange new worlds story.
Old July 5 2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Kertrats47
Commodore

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

I have to give it to Sword of Damocles. Such a cool time-twisting story. Absolutely loved it, and was totally taken in by Jaza's personal journey. Orion's Hounds is SUCH a close second.
Old July 5 2013, 10:33 PM   #5
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

I haven't read enough of them to cast a meaningful vote, yet. However, if I had to rank the four I've read so far, it'd be:

1. Taking Wing
2. Orion's Hounds
3. The Red King
4. Sword of Damocles
Old July 5 2013, 11:26 PM   #6
8of5
Fleet Captain

View 8of5's Twitter Profile

Orion's Hounds if one of my favourite Star Trek novels altogether. Synthesis not far behind. Both because they explore such interesting sci-fi ideas.

I'm also pretty fond of Over a Torrent Sea. The rest of the series I've found less engaging generally, very hit and miss. However because I've liked the books I have enjoyed in the series so much, I always look forward to a new one.
Old July 6 2013, 12:33 AM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Taking Wing

I found the rest generally uninteresting because I didn't care about the characters.
Old July 6 2013, 02:35 AM   #8
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

I would have to say that "Synthesis" was the best and it was really tragic that the Avatar program didn't get the chance to be in more novels.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 04:08 AM   #9
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Well, I guess it's a fairly common opinion, but Orion's Hounds is my favourite.

Synthesis and Sword of Damocles are pretty high on the list too.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 07:17 AM   #10
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile

I voted for Destiny but it was not easy because I really like Taking Wing because it sets up the series. I was interested in the idea of showing this multi-species crew learning to work & live together, something we humans still haven't figured out. Orion's & Damocles were enjoyable too. I just liked how in Destiny the Titan crew were the ones rushing in to save the day.
Old July 6 2013, 08:24 AM   #11
Mage
Commodore

Damocles I liked, but at times I had troubles following it. I should give it another go perhaps.
Old July 6 2013, 11:51 AM   #12
Ain Jalut
Lieutenant

Kertrats47 wrote: View Post
I have to give it to Sword of Damocles. Such a cool time-twisting story. Absolutely loved it, and was totally taken in by Jaza's personal journey. Orion's Hounds is SUCH a close second.
The Orishan's look awesome.
Ain Jalut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 01:52 PM   #13
zarkon
Captain

Rather enjoyed Orions Hounds, although I wince every time I see the name star jellies(and I didn't like the crystalline direction mind-wise). Really brilliant eco system creation in that book.

Titan in Destiny was awful, I was actually hoping Ree would eat troi at one point just to spice it up. I stopped reading the series at that point as Hounds was the only one I'd actually frigging enjoyed, and even then that was far more due to the mission then the characters. Ree is the only one I really found interesting.
Old July 6 2013, 03:08 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

zarkon wrote: View Post
Rather enjoyed Orions Hounds, although I wince every time I see the name star jellies...
I wasn't crazy about it myself, but I honestly couldn't think of a better alternative. "Medusan" was taken, and "astrocnidarian" is ghastly. I thought of "cosmedusan," but it felt awkward.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 03:38 PM   #15
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

Well, Destiny is a no brainer. I know a lot of people consider Orion's Hounds the best, but I actually enjoyed Over a Torrent Sea more. Synthesis is another great one.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote