Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 11 2013, 03:11 AM   #16
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Best pure humor episodes

I don't get how Data's Day and A Matter of Time are meant to be comedies. Data's Day is basically a character piece about Data. Since he doesn't sleep and is up and about all 24 hours of the day, this explores a typical day for him. Hell, the scene with Dr Crusher teaching him how to dance is the only part of the episode that comes off as comedic in any way.

I don't remember anything comedic, intentional or unintentional, about A Matter of Time.
Old February 11 2013, 03:22 AM   #17
sonak
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I don't get how Data's Day and A Matter of Time are meant to be comedies. Data's Day is basically a character piece about Data. Since he doesn't sleep and is up and about all 24 hours of the day, this explores a typical day for him. Hell, the scene with Dr Crusher teaching him how to dance is the only part of the episode that comes off as comedic in any way.

I don't remember anything comedic, intentional or unintentional, about A Matter of Time.

agreed, I've never seen these episodes referred to as "comedies."
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 06:06 AM   #18
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Data's Day and Matter of Time might not strictly be referred to as comedies so much as 'light hearted episodes', or episodes with humorous B-plots.

Data's perspective in Data's Day is rather humorous, particularly his musings on O'Brien's wedding. The dancing, his delivery of the 'good news'.

And A Matter of Time, the entire con is humorous. His questioning of the layout of the briefing room, his entire act.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 06:28 AM   #19
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Dover wrote: View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Take Me Out to the Holosuite," but I'm a big baseball fan.
I'm not a baseball fan and it's still one of my favorite episodes. I'd certainly rank it as one of the great humor episodes.
Old February 11 2013, 11:51 AM   #20
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

"Up the Long Ladder" isn't primarily a comedy, either.
Old February 11 2013, 02:13 PM   #21
The Wormhole
Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Data's Day and Matter of Time might not strictly be referred to as comedies so much as 'light hearted episodes', or episodes with humorous B-plots.

Data's perspective in Data's Day is rather humorous, particularly his musings on O'Brien's wedding. The dancing, his delivery of the 'good news'.

And A Matter of Time, the entire con is humorous. His questioning of the layout of the briefing room, his entire act.
Eh, Data's Day might have more comedic moments than a typical TNG episode, but it still isn't really a comedy, IMO. And I've never viewed anything in A Matter of Time as comedic. At all.
Old February 11 2013, 02:20 PM   #22
Tiberius
Commodore

And how is "The Royale" a comedy?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 02:26 PM   #23
The Wormhole
Admiral

Tiberius wrote: View Post
And how is "The Royale" a comedy?
It's possible the original intention was for that to be a comedy, but things didn't turn out as planned. Then again, it's been ver a decade since I last watched that one, so maybe I shouldn't comment.
Old February 11 2013, 04:00 PM   #24
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

I think that 95% of The Next Generations back catalogue make me laugh, purely because of their shitness, but hey, thats just me.
Delta Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 07:20 PM   #25
CoveSanta
Rear Admiral

For honorable mention, even though it is not a comedy episode in the slightest, I would nominate the teaser from "The Pegasus." The entire Captain Picard Day scene is hilarious, IMHO. Stewart and Frakes sell it brilliantly.
CoveSanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 07:26 PM   #26
The Wormhole
Admiral

CoveTom wrote: View Post
For honorable mention, even though it is not a comedy episode in the slightest, I would nominate the teaser from "The Pegasus." The entire Captain Picard Day scene is hilarious, IMHO. Stewart and Frakes sell it brilliantly.
Yeah, it's at times hard to believe that scene is from The Pegasus, given that the rest of the episode is so deadly serious. The same episode which has Riker facing actions from his past which could potentially end his career starts off with Riker playing with a Captain Picard doll.
Old February 11 2013, 11:26 PM   #27
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain

To me, the Q/Robin Hood episode, RASCALS and the first section of CAPTAIN'S HOLIDAY are TNG humor at its finest.

TRIBBLES, A PIECE OF THE ACTION and I, MUDD are generally Classic TREK's comedy triumvirate, but for reasons I never understood I, MUDD has many detractors.
The Cubed Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 01:50 AM   #28
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I think the Royale is a great parody of bad literature.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 03:46 PM   #29
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander

Devo wrote: View Post
No one's mentioned "Who Mourns For Morn?". For shame!
Thank you. I love this episode. "You know Morn, he never shuts up."
Old February 12 2013, 04:00 PM   #30
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
CoveTom wrote: View Post
Yeah, it's at times hard to believe that scene is from The Pegasus, given that the rest of the episode is so deadly serious. The same episode which has Riker facing actions from his past which could potentially end his career starts off with Riker playing with a Captain Picard doll.
I think that's part of what makes that episode work so well. It starts off with this ridiculous farce, which totally works against the seriousness of the rest of the episode. It makes the rest seem even darker, by comparrison.

As for the rest, I honestly don't think of them as comedies. True, many episodes have more than their share of humor, but there's always SOME serious element to the episode. To me, the term comedy sounds like Spock will be running around with a woopie cushion.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote