RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,405
Posts: 5,505,908
Members: 25,127
Currently online: 678
Newest member: OneOfFour

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 10 2013, 11:27 PM   #61
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: White House Petition to Restore/Preserve and Move the Enterprise M

Christopher wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
I would however like to see it restored, or rebuilt, to the way everyone remembers it. If that means that its not entirely accurate, then so be it.
I emphatically disagree. Museums should be about preserving the past accurately, not pandering to people's preconceptions about it. The truth is not a popularity contest. A restoration should be based on the most scientific reconstruction possible. If that goes against people's expectations, then that's a good thing. That's what museums are for -- to teach us things we didn't know, and to replace beliefs and assumptions with solid evidence.
We don't necessarily disagree. There is a lot that is in question about the original appearance, including the infamous "space weenie". I'd just like to see the ship as close to the way it appeared on screen as possible.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 12:06 AM   #62
Sector 7
Rear Admiral
 
Sector 7's Avatar
 
Location: House by the Lake, NC
Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: White House Petition to Restore/Preserve and Move the Enterprise M

Petition signature #44.

I remember the first time I saw the Enterprise at the NASM in 1978. It was such a wonderful experience to see her strung in mid-air, in real life! For me, at that moment I realized how important an inspiration Star Trek had been to the US space program. TOS had inspired me to dream about going into space like no other program had before it.

For the above reason, if no other, the Enterprise should be a part of the NASM, rather than relegated to a pop culture museum. Like it or not, TOS was, indeed, an inspiration and public relations tool for NASA and the US space program. Whether the old girl should be in the gift shop or placed in a major display is, in my opinion, a judgement call.

I agree with those who state that it should be 'historically accurate' rather than what some may remember or envision... warts and all, as they say. It was a poor decision to replace original labeling with something else. When I saw the Enterprise at the NASM, I marveled at the level of detail which I could not see on my B&W 13" television. To coin a cliche, "History came alive" that day. This should be the goal of any restoration: historical accuracy.
__________________
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” -Pres. Obama
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." -Pres. Clinton
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 12:24 AM   #63
Cookies and Cake
Admiral
 
Location: North America
Re: White House Petition to Restore/Preserve and Move the Enterprise M

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Petition signature #44.

I remember the first time I saw the Enterprise at the NASM in 1978. It was such a wonderful experience to see her strung in mid-air, in real life! For me, at that moment I realized how important an inspiration Star Trek had been to the US space program. TOS had inspired me to dream about going into space like no other program had before it.

For the above reason, if no other, the Enterprise should be a part of the NASM, rather than relegated to a pop culture museum. Like it or not, TOS was, indeed, an inspiration and public relations tool for NASA and the US space program. Whether the old girl should be in the gift shop or placed in a major display is, in my opinion, a judgement call.

I agree with those who state that it should be 'historically accurate' rather than what some may remember or envision... warts and all, as they say. It was a poor decision to replace original labeling with something else. When I saw the Enterprise at the NASM, I marveled at the level of detail which I could not see on my B&W 13" television. To coin a cliche, "History came alive" that day. This should be the goal of any restoration: historical accuracy.
May I ask why you signed the petition, if you think that the model "should be a part of the NASM, rather than relegated to a pop culture museum", since the petition is to move it to the Museum of American History?
__________________
CorporalCaptain
Cookies and Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 09:54 AM   #64
Robert Comsol
Commodore
 
Robert Comsol's Avatar
 
Location: USS Berlin
Re: White House Petition to Restore/Preserve and Move the Enterprise M

Christopher wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
In case you haven't seen them, here are photos of the tear-down of the model prior to the Mireki work. This is what it looked like then.
Which is not indicative of what it looked like in the 1960s, because it was after a prior restoration done without accurate reference.
We do have original Paramount promotional stills of the 11' Enterprise for the regular series and one was posted here.

In post # 75 I provided a link to a close up picture of the starboard underside of the saucer, taken by Phil Broad after the second Smithsonian upgrade (i.e. no more duct tape on the port side of the model). In this shot you can still see the very tiny pencil lines you can also find on the promotional still. No paint job touched this section of the ship.

Additionally, the Ed Miarecki photographs show the upper side of the saucer in its original condition. Again, tiny pencil lines and all the specialists agree that this is the original, unpainted and untainted version.

Admittedly, there are hints that areas of the ship had to be reconstructed and repainted, but this doesn't necessary imply that the entire engineering hull or the nacelles were repainted prior to the restoration effort.

Bob
__________________
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth" Jean-Luc Picard
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 10:15 AM   #65
Cookies and Cake
Admiral
 
Location: North America
Re: White House Petition to Restore/Preserve and Move the Enterprise M

Christopher wrote: View Post
You could probably find a whole bunch of items on display there that wouldn't fit a strict, legalistic interpretation of their mission statement.
A whole bunch? Actually, I'd be interested to know if this was really true, and if so what the items are. It might help us see if there really are any oddballs and what they are.
__________________
CorporalCaptain
Cookies and Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 11:10 PM   #66
jayrath
Fleet Captain
 
Location: West Hollywood, Calif., USA
Re: White House Petition to Restore/Preserve and Move the Enterprise M

A petition to the White House? All due respect, but you have got to be freaking kidding. I'm as big a TOS fan as any, but I kind of think there are, ohhhhh -- maybe a few other million issues that deserve the president's time before we get down to which TV spaceship models go where.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 03:00 AM   #67
plynch
Commodore
 
plynch's Avatar
 
Location: Outer Graceland
View plynch's Twitter Profile
Re: White House Petition to Restore/Preserve and Move the Enterprise M

jayrath wrote: View Post
A petition to the White House? All due respect, but you have got to be freaking kidding. I'm as big a TOS fan as any, but I kind of think there are, ohhhhh -- maybe a few other million issues that deserve the president's time before we get down to which TV spaceship models go where.
a lark, man

funsies

You should see the stuff people petition there. Like seceding. Or building a death star. Isn't there a petition to build a real Enterprise?
__________________
Author of Live Like Louis! Inspirational Stories from the Life of Louis Armstrong, http://livelikelouis.com
plynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 04:54 AM   #68
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: White House Petition to Restore/Preserve and Move the Enterprise M

plynch wrote: View Post
jayrath wrote: View Post
A petition to the White House? All due respect, but you have got to be freaking kidding. I'm as big a TOS fan as any, but I kind of think there are, ohhhhh -- maybe a few other million issues that deserve the president's time before we get down to which TV spaceship models go where.
a lark, man

funsies

You should see the stuff people petition there. Like seceding. Or building a death star. Isn't there a petition to build a real Enterprise?
they're all thinking too small. USofA needs a REAL planet-killer, not a knockoff of the Empire's Big Ball.

Think of how DOOMSDAY MACHINE's horn-of-plenty cum openmouthed-bass would look silhouetted against the Earth.
That'll take a bite out of crime!
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 08:52 PM   #69
Darth Duck
Commodore
 
Darth Duck's Avatar
 
Location: The Maritimes
Re: White House Petition to Restore/Preserve and Move the Enterprise M

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
You could probably find a whole bunch of items on display there that wouldn't fit a strict, legalistic interpretation of their mission statement.
A whole bunch? Actually, I'd be interested to know if this was really true, and if so what the items are. It might help us see if there really are any oddballs and what they are.
An R2-D2 mailbox and the ship from Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind struck me as oddballs (one or both may have been in the Udvar-Hazy Center).
Darth Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 10:28 PM   #70
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: White House Petition to Restore/Preserve and Move the Enterprise M

NASM's administrators have not "always been fine" with it. It's a white elephant much of the time around there.

The Museum of American History would probably take better care of it; they'd certainly better be able to put it into its real context. It belongs with Dorothy's slippers, Archie Bunker's chair and Kermit, not surrounded by once-functioning air and space craft of real historical significance.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.