Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 13 2013, 12:14 PM   #91
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

King Daniel wrote: View Post
^Red, The Expendables, Expendables 2, The Watchmen, A Good Day to Die Hard...?
Again, I'm mostly talking about big-budget blockbusters, not mid-level action movies.
Old February 13 2013, 12:25 PM   #92
CorporalClegg
Admiral

RDJ isn't exactly a spring chicken either.
Old February 13 2013, 03:01 PM   #93
Konata Izumi
Commander

People seem to miss that a team-up doesn't need to have all the captains, only old actors, etc.

Stewart's a cool dude so he'd fit great. Reintroduce one less-known captain too and it could be a great trio. Or make up a new one. I haven't seen Janeway but I guess it'd have to be a younger her to keep some sort of gender balance, if it's an existing character. They're doing something similar by Uhura taking McCoy's place if you believe that one thread title. Or some other old character can get promoted.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 03:44 PM   #94
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
People seem to miss that a team-up doesn't need to have all the captains, only old actors, etc.

Stewart's a cool dude so he'd fit great. Reintroduce one less-known captain too and it could be a great trio. Or make up a new one. I haven't seen Janeway but I guess it'd have to be a younger her to keep some sort of gender balance, if it's an existing character. They're doing something similar by Uhura taking McCoy's place if you believe that one thread title. Or some other old character can get promoted.
Let them go. Outside of the novels (an re-runs), the Prime universe and the Modern Trek characters are done.
Old February 13 2013, 04:55 PM   #95
Konata Izumi
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
Let them go. Outside of the novels (an re-runs), the Prime universe and the Modern Trek characters are done.
They just resurrected the TOS crew a few years ago and now possibly Khan; all old icons. Is there a reason for such a sharp divide? For kids like me they're all old Trek. Everyone knows the facepalm guy.

They can spin off movies for each of the captains: $$$
Old February 13 2013, 05:05 PM   #96
BillJ
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
They just resurrected the TOS crew a few years ago and now possibly Khan; all old icons. Is there a reason for such a sharp divide? For kids like me they're all old Trek. Everyone knows the facepalm guy.

They can spin off movies for each of the captains: $$$
It only makes money if it's done extremely cheap or they get big names to play the characters (like Samuel L. Jackson playing Sisko).
Old February 13 2013, 05:15 PM   #97
Konata Izumi
Commander

^Professor X? That random who plays Kirk?

You ignored the question -_-
Old February 13 2013, 05:22 PM   #98
BillJ
Admiral

The reason for the sharp divide?

Kirk, Spock and company resonated with the general public in a way the rest simply didn't. An 'All-Star' captains movie featuring Janeway, Sisko and Archer just wouldn't put enough butts in the seats to matter and Stewart and Shatner are simply too old to be believably put in space suits again.
Old February 13 2013, 05:25 PM   #99
anh165
Commander

There is a massive difference between Kirk and Sisko, the latter is not well recognised outside of the hardcore Star Trek community and the character is principally so dull that someone of screen presence and sharp wit like Samuel L Jackson could allay the risk of using such a character on the big screen.

Chris Pine is a competent actor with quality that suits big screen hero persona, a perfect example for someone to play someone as big as Kirk.
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 05:40 PM   #100
BillJ
Admiral

anh165 wrote: View Post

There is a massive difference between Kirk and Sisko, the latter is not well recognised outside of the hardcore Star Trek community and the character is principally so dull that someone of screen presence and sharp wit like Samuel L Jackson could allay the risk of using such a character on the big screen.

Chris Pine is a competent actor with quality that suits big screen hero persona, a perfect example for someone to play someone as big as Kirk.
I think many people miss the simple fact that the structure of Star Trek works better on the big screen than the ensemble structures of the spin-offs.

The Original Series always was big space adventure in a weird universe. When we watch Kirk fight the big green lizard, we go "cool". When we watch Picard swinging from a conduit fighting Borg, we go "eh?" that really isn't the character I know from the TV series.

The differences don't make the spin-offs bad, but less suited for a story you have to sell tickets for and tell in two hours or less.
Old February 13 2013, 06:01 PM   #101
Konata Izumi
Commander

Maybe Picard needs a new first officer to fight henchmen flooding the bridge while he's speaking authoritarily with the bad guy leader. He can't do everything!
Old February 13 2013, 06:10 PM   #102
BillJ
Admiral

Maybe Picard needs a new first officer to fight henchmen flooding the bridge while he's speaking authoritarily with the bad guy leader. He can't do everything!
Like it or not, the captain is the star. It's why we started seeing Stewart become more 'front-and-center' during TNG's run while Frakes role was reduced.
Old February 13 2013, 06:36 PM   #103
Konata Izumi
Commander

^Jigsaw just talks in the Saw movies, but talks so fucking well that the machines can do all the killing and he still steals the movies.

Last edited by Konata Izumi; February 13 2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old February 13 2013, 06:49 PM   #104
anh165
Commander

I like to see Janeway or Sisko talk 'so fucking well' just once, once would be nice. They had years to do it.
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 06:51 PM   #105
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy Claus's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy Claus

What were they thinking?

"Let make a bunch of money."

And they did. Why did they chose that over the other thing that did exist yet? Well, because it didn't exist yet. You're proposing the the worst idea I've ever heard.

And that trailer was so bad it gave me cancer.