RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Posts: 5,430,440
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 377
Newest member: Enabran


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 15 2013, 03:54 PM   #166
anh165
Commander
 
Re: What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

yousirname wrote: View Post
And what about Ripley? One of the most iconic and enduring female characters in cinema, almost unquestionably the most so in SF. Does Ripley speak loudly through being quiet and sensual? I don't think you can make any objectively persuasive claim of the kind you seem to be making.
Ripley in Alien is a perfect example of a strong lead female character, leagues above anything Kira and Seven can achieve combined.

She doesn't squark or throw tantrums to be heard. Your very own example proves my point.

It is just your relentless sentimental bias from watching DS9 and VOY that makes you fail to differentiate successful Hollywood movie characters to mediocre ones from TV shows that got cancelled.
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 04:00 PM   #167
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

anh165 wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
anh165 wrote: View Post
Real women do not need to be confrontist to make a point or to make themselves heard.
Real women can be and do whatever they want.
Of course they can do what they want.

The point I am trying to make is the hardcore fancination of characters like Kira and Seven what with their relentless confrontational, 'tough-chic' and stiff personas, this is an example of how not have female characters on the big screen.

It is unconvincing, unlikable and unappealing and causes needless attrition to the viewer.

You just don't need that sort of mediocrity in a reboot that was supposed to save Star Trek.
So, your argument essentially is that "strong women" are off-putting, because men can't handle women who don't just roll over and meekly accept everything the big, strong men tell them to do?

Do you realize how sexist that sounds?
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 04:17 PM   #168
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
If Abrams and his gang had made a movie set post Nemesis, with a new crew, it would have been just as successful.
No, it wouldn't have.

I've been a fan of TOS since 1966. Love Abrams's version.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 04:23 PM   #169
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
anh165 wrote: View Post
Kira and Seven what with their relentless confrontational, 'tough-chic' and stiff personas, this is an example of how not have female characters on the big screen.

It is unconvincing, unlikable and unappealing and causes needless attrition to the viewer.
So, your argument essentially is that "strong women" are off-putting, because men can't handle women who don't just roll over and meekly accept everything the big, strong men tell them to do?
Is that what he's saying?


Do you realize how sexist that sounds?
Does it? I had a lot of the same problems with many of the female characters, particularly on DS9. "Tough chicks" as conceived by an all-male writing staff can indeed result in stiff and implausible characters. Then there were the "lipstick lesbians" of DS9's version of the Mirror Universe, who seemed to exist mainly because someone wanted to see Kira put the moves on Dax. "Intendent Kira" represented the conflation of homosexuality with general wickedness on a nearly Harkonnen level. Are you sure there's no stereotyping or sexism going on there?

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; February 15 2013 at 05:48 PM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 04:24 PM   #170
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
If Abrams and his gang had made a movie set post Nemesis, with a new crew, it would have been just as successful.
No, it wouldn't have.

I've been a fan of TOS since 1966. Love Abrams's version.
No it wouldn't have been as successful, general audiences would've seen it as just another Trek spin-off. The core product is TOS and TNG, to focus dollars elsewhere is just counter-productive.

The more crews you introduce the more watered down the product becomes. Besides, why introduce another crew when the TOS gang are largely unexplored outside of Kirk and Spock?
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 04:25 PM   #171
anh165
Commander
 
Re: What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

So, your argument essentially is that "strong women" are off-putting, because men can't handle women who don't just roll over and meekly accept everything the big, strong men tell them to do?

Do you realize how sexist that sounds?
Not sexist at all.

Pointing out that hammy gritted teeth acting and stiff body posture is not a convincing example of a strong female character. Which is what the performances of Kira and Seven are guilty of.
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 04:27 PM   #172
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

Seven was just eye candy. I liked the way Kira was written for the most part, I just couldn't stand Nana Visitor.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 04:28 PM   #173
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
anh165 wrote: View Post
Kira and Seven what with their relentless confrontational, 'tough-chic' and stiff personas, this is an example of how not have female characters on the big screen.

It is unconvincing, unlikable and unappealing and causes needless attrition to the viewer.
So, your argument essentially is that "strong women" are off-putting, because men can't handle women who don't just roll over and meekly accept everything the big, strong men tell them to do?
Is that what he's saying?
I'm not sure what he's saying, because he started off talking about how "real women" behave and painting with an extremely broad brush.


Do you realize how sexist that sounds?
Does it? I had a lot of the same problems with many of the female characters, particularly on DS9. "Tough chicks" as conceived by an all-male writing staff can indeed result in stiff and implausible characters. Then there were the "lipstick lesbians" of DS9's version of the Mirror Universe, who seemed to exist mainly because someone wanted to see Kira out the moves on Dax. "Intendent Kira" represented the conflation of homosexuality with general wickedness on a nearly Harkonnen level. Are you sure there's no stereotyping or sexism going on there?
See, I can't argue with that, because you articulated a fair criticism. I agree that that was some pretty egregious stereotyping.

But anh165's original point was made so broadly as to denigrate all strong female characters, not just ones written or portrayed poorly.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 04:37 PM   #174
yousirname
Commander
 
yousirname's Avatar
 
Re: What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

anh165 wrote: View Post
She doesn't squark or throw tantrums to be heard. Your very own example proves my point.
LOL yeah, Ripley's always quiet. Even when she's arguing with Paul Reiser about his bad calls. Never wears a uniform, either. Ya sure showed me!

It is just your relentless sentimental bias from watching DS9 and VOY that makes you fail to differentiate successful Hollywood movie characters to mediocre ones from TV shows that got cancelled.
Was never a huge fan of either of those shows, especially not Voyager. Try again? I'm not making any kind of case for Kira or Seven, I'm not particularly fond of them. It's your asinine twaddle about 'quiet and sensual' women being greatly preferred in other media that I'm taking issue with.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 05:35 PM   #175
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

anh165 wrote: View Post
Well that is a shame Clegg you fail to understand what that means.
I understand plenty, like how backpedaling from a thoughtless and tasteless broad generalization makes one look unsavory.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 03:28 AM   #176
Kelso
Vice Admiral
 
Kelso's Avatar
 
Location: On the destruct button until the last minute!
View Kelso's Twitter Profile
Re: What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

I'd like them do the opposite of the Avengers and split the crew up into their own solo adventures. This is the first time we've had a group of Trek actors who can and have headlined their own films and I'd love it if they capitalized on that to build the Trek brand and further develop the characters. In particular, Pine's Kirk and Quinto's Spock could each definitely carry a big budget film on their own, perhaps with Urban and Saldana costarring. But every one of them has the chops and recognition factor to at least open a smaller budgeted film- perhaps reuniting down the line Avengers style in a big Star Trek film on the Enterprise.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 01:23 AM   #177
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

Thank goodness this didn't happen.

I look forward to Into Darkness then the third movie and possible animated show and I also look forward to the TNG reboot and potential nuTOS/TNG crossover movie

TNG reboot gonna be great.

You can bet that some exec at Paramount has already greenlit TNG movies in the future. Post Abrams.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 03:32 PM   #178
anh165
Commander
 
Re: What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
anh165 wrote: View Post
Well that is a shame Clegg you fail to understand what that means.
I understand plenty, like how backpedaling from a thoughtless and tasteless broad generalization makes one look unsavory.
The only thing you seemed to understand is the judicious use of insidious forum troll posting.

There is no broad generalisation, just a very specific swipe at poorly written and poorly acted female characters like those in DS9 and VOY, the sort of TV movie, direct-to-video quality that anyone with a creative mind would never put to the big screen.

Some of you chaps can defend poorly written and poorly acted female characters till the cows come home, at the end of the day all those high profile movies feature instantly engaging female characters , this works better than the irate and contentious women you find in DS9/VOY.

A good comedian should never have to explain their own jokes, same as a good singer on stage doenst need to be a total attention seeking try hard, you either have it in you to engage the viewer or you do not.

Last edited by anh165; February 19 2013 at 07:54 PM.
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 03:34 PM   #179
anh165
Commander
 
Re: What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
But anh165's original point was made so broadly as to denigrate all strong female characters, not just ones written or portrayed poorly.
Yes I suppose my point was expressed as poorly as how Seven and Kira are written and acted.

I can live with that.
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 05:52 PM   #180
Konata Izumi
Commander
 
Konata Izumi's Avatar
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Re: What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

Janeway sucks but they can use the name cause it's cool and make a new character alongside TOS and TNG people. Then they go search some ultimate thing together all in the third movie. They should go big with the exploration adventure as there's been a lack lately.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.