The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 7 2013, 12:36 AM   #1
RoJoHen
Awesome

Combating Complacency

What do you do?!

Okay, so, for the first time in years I am very satisfied in my job and friends and life in general. However, as a result, I find myself not really striving for anything. I have no goals.

For the last few months I have been suffering from a complete lack of motivation. Normally in January I am struck with all sorts of New Years energy to get my life back on track, but there really isn't anything I can think of to do. Because of my schedule at work, I actually have A LOT of free time during the day where I could be accomplishing things, but mostly I just sit at home or go to the gym or aimlessly drive around town in search of something to do.

My mood is generally fine; I want to be motivated. I just don't know where I want that motivation to take me.
Old February 7 2013, 12:42 AM   #2
teacock
Admiral

Re: Combating Complacency

You have peaked.

The rest of your life will be spent trying to maintain a plateau and not go downhill. You can do it!!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 12:44 AM   #3
RoJoHen
Awesome

Boooooooooo! NOT what I want to hear.
Old February 7 2013, 12:55 AM   #4
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I think that self-improvement is a lifelong goal, even if all of your immediate needs are being met. How can you become a better, kinder, more knowledgeable, healthier, or more accomplished person?
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 12:59 AM   #5
RoJoHen
Awesome

Kestra wrote: View Post
I think that self-improvement is a lifelong goal, even if all of your immediate needs are being met. How can you become a better, kinder, more knowledgeable, healthier, or more accomplished person?
While I agree that these kinds of things are important, they're too general for what I'm talking about. "Bettering myself" doesn't force me to get out of bed in the morning and do anything.

I think it's possible that I've just turned myself off since I know I'm going on vacation next month. I haven't been on a vacation in YEARS, and I don't really have anything big coming up between now and then. I feel like I'm coasting through life, which is not a feeling I'm used to.
Old February 7 2013, 01:57 AM   #6
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I envy you.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 02:23 AM   #7
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

If you're happy and content with where you are, enjoy it. Maybe in a few years time you'll feel a bit bored or get the sense that you want to move on, and then you'll be motivated to make another change. Don't worry yourself over the fact that you're not worrying, so to speak. You've hit a lazy stretch of the river, so lay back and enjoy it. The rapids will come again eventually; they always do.
Old February 7 2013, 02:58 AM   #8
mimic
Rear Admiral

Find the closest climbing gym and a buddy, and take a learn the ropes class.

"And since I do not go into nuclear reactor cores I am free to trouble my brain over artificial sweeteners." - Goji
mimic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 02:59 AM   #9
antichristhill
Fleet Admiral

Complacency? Meh. Whatever.

OK, on the serious side, you might doing something new. Learn a new language, try a different sport, even try playing a new game. Just do something different. Anything.
antichristhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 03:15 AM   #10
RoJoHen
Awesome

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
If you're happy and content with where you are, enjoy it. Maybe in a few years time you'll feel a bit bored or get the sense that you want to move on, and then you'll be motivated to make another change. Don't worry yourself over the fact that you're not worrying, so to speak. You've hit a lazy stretch of the river, so lay back and enjoy it. The rapids will come again eventually; they always do.
I was enjoying it. Now I'm bored. I don't respond well to boredom.
Old February 7 2013, 03:21 AM   #11
Use of Time
Commodore

When I had my second child I kind of fell in a rut where the daily routine of work and child care left me wanting to do something else to improve myself. I decided to run a marathon. I went out and bought a book with a good training plan as well as running tips/diet etc. It really helped give me a mid term goal that I felt I could accomplish. After I ran it I started looking for the next challenge. I run one a year now and love the training process.
Old February 7 2013, 03:33 AM   #12
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
I was enjoying it. Now I'm bored. I don't respond well to boredom.
Maybe give yourself a project? Not one that will make you feel like you're constrained by a schedule (so not one that will take away that sense of freedom that comes from having no major pressures), but one that allows you to feel that you have something to work toward. Myself, I've been on medical leave from work for the last month; it might be a few months more before I'm back. I started on the first draft of a novel not long ago - I try to do some every day, and it helps me feel like I'm doing something worthwhile while I wait to start work again. Have you considered doing something like that?
Old February 7 2013, 03:38 AM   #13
RoJoHen
Awesome

That's the problem. I know I need a project. I just don't know what to do. I have the motivation; I just can't decide where to put it.
Old February 7 2013, 03:43 AM   #14
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
That's the problem. I know I need a project. I just don't know what to do. I have the motivation; I just can't decide where to put it.
Well, there's one idea - write. A novel, an amusing autobiography, a history of the bar where you work, whatever works for you.

Or...

My grandfather loves to garden. He spends hours on it. Maybe you could take up gardening.

PS: Sorry if I'm not being particularly helpful here. These are serious ideas, but reading over the post it might look a bit flippant; it's not meant to be.
Old February 7 2013, 03:47 AM   #15
RoJoHen
Awesome

No, it's fine. I can come up with lots of ideas, too. I just don't like any of them!