Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 11 2013, 12:29 PM   #76
Finngle Bells
Vice Admiral

Re: The Dog Thread: Our Furry Family and Friends

I knew a couple of dogs who lived to around 18 or 19. They hadn't been walked in years. All they did were sitting in the house doing nothing.. Perhaps approach their owners for attention. That's it.
Finngle Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 12:31 PM   #77
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
My brother and his wife have two French bulldogs, one of which's name is Stella. Unfortunately they did not name it based on On the Waterfront.
You mean A Streetcar Named Desire, right?

(That's okay. Recently in another thread, I got Leonardo da Vinci mixed up with Michelangelo.)

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
. . . As a general rule mixes between different breeds are much healthier and longer lived than pure-bred ones. Often more intelligent, too.
Purebred dogs are inclined to suffer all sorts of genetic defects due to inbreeding. Musculoskeletal disorders like hip dysplasia are especially common in large breeds like German shepherds and Dobermans. If you want a happy, healthy pet, you're better off getting a mutt.
Old February 11 2013, 12:59 PM   #78
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

scotpens wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
My brother and his wife have two French bulldogs, one of which's name is Stella. Unfortunately they did not name it based on On the Waterfront.
You mean A Streetcar Named Desire, right?

(That's okay. Recently in another thread, I got Leonardo da Vinci mixed up with Michelangelo.)
Whichever one has Marlon Brando yelling STELLA!!!!!!!!! (I haven't seen either one. God only knows where I got that title. )
Old February 11 2013, 01:08 PM   #79
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

^^ I am not sure about the kennels outside of Germany, particularly those in the US, but over here, the hip dysplasia problem is under control now. For about 30 years, dogs inflicted with that problem have been strictly forbidden from breeding and the frame of the dogs has been altered as well: no more falling backs but straight ones now. It takes some weight off the hips and prevents the development of joint problems in very young dogs.
Arthrosis and spine problems due to old age are the main problems now. And there's still a certain tendency towards intestinal cancer.

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
It's funny...I'm a lot more scared of small dogs than I am of big ones.
In my experience, small dogs are more aggressive than big ones. I can only guess at the reason but I think they propably believe they must make up for their lack of size and impress possible opponents with their aggression rather than an impressive look (like larger dogs can)
Old February 11 2013, 02:58 PM   #80
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

As far as the hips and knees go, it's a crap shoot. My dog has OFA certification for her hips (Labs are known for hip dysplasia so I wasn't going to get one that wasn't), but all it means is that the stud and bitch had no hip issues.

This sadly means nothing about the pups, just that the parents had no issues. She has already had one ACL replaced, her other knee looks like it will need one at some point when I have the money for it, and her back legs sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies when she walks - snap, crackle, and pop.

She's only 3, but she is already arthritic, stretches her back legs constantly, and goes lame for a day or so if she gets too much exercise. I have to be very cognizant of this when we play.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 05:28 PM   #81
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

that sucks For German Shepherds an individual test for HD (usually an x-ray) is mandatory over here. It might be a good idea to introduce it for all other big breeds, too.
We've had a few dogs wit arthrosis. If yours has a very bad day, try a hot water bottle (not too hot, only nicely warm) It helps a bit. You might also want to talk with your vet about a mild pain killer. It doesn't heal arthritis/arthrosis but it takes the pain away and allows the dog to move. That's important because otherwise the joints will stiffen.
Our dog gets a special greenish powder in his food, containing vitamins and minerals and god knows what else. It stinks like rotting algae and it takes him hours to eat it, but the vet says it does slow the illness down a little bit.
Old February 11 2013, 06:31 PM   #82
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

^^ I am not sure about the kennels outside of Germany, particularly escribethose in the US, but over here, the hip dysplasia problem is under control now. For about 30 years, dogs inflicted with that problem have been strictly forbidden from breeding and the frame of the dogs has been altered as well: no more falling backs but straight ones now. It takes some weight off the hips and prevents the development of joint problems in very young dogs.
Arthrosis and spine problems due to old age are the main problems now. And there's still a certain tendency towards intestinal cancer.
It's a real shame how lax breeding standards are in the US. That includes for the kinds of problems you describe, and the tolerance for brachycephlic breeds of cat and dog (such as Pekes and Persians), which is IMHO cruel breeding because you are deliberately breeding a deformity that will detrimentally impact the animal's quality of life.

And then there's stuff like the legality of declawing and tail-docking, both procedures that should be banned but in the US are still allowed. (Don't like your cat clawing up the furniture? Too bad, IMHO. Either train your animal, cover vulnerable surfaces, use humane claw covers, or don't get a cat.)

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
It's funny...I'm a lot more scared of small dogs than I am of big ones.
In my experience, small dogs are more aggressive than big ones. I can only guess at the reason but I think they propably believe they must make up for their lack of size and impress possible opponents with their aggression rather than an impressive look (like larger dogs can)
Yeah, I've always suspected they have a Napoleon complex, and know instinctively that they are NOT supposed to be that small.
Old February 11 2013, 07:45 PM   #83
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Emma's predecessor, Annabelle would have made it to thirteen if she hadn't had a stroke that caused the heart murmur she'd had since she was a puppy to become catastrophic.
Peach Wookiee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 08:06 PM   #84
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

My childhood dog made it to 15 so I have hopes that my current pooch will last just as long if nothing else. Beagles' average life expectancy seems to be in the fourteen or fifteen-year range so I won't expect anything beyond that....I'll just be pleasantly surprised if she does make it a crotchety, ancient old age.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 11:48 PM   #85
Shanndee
Commodore

I think that's a fair assumption cooleddie. Muffy (once again...I'm so very sorry for that name old friend!) made it to 14 and most of my friends small to mid sized dogs averaged 14 to 15 years.

It's so sad we lose them so soon. I don't know how people who love giant breeds cope. I have a friend who always adopts Irish Wolfhounds. I would be gutted losing a friend after only about 8 years...

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 11:59 PM   #86
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

In my experience, small dogs are more aggressive than big ones. I can only guess at the reason but I think they probably believe they must make up for their lack of size and impress possible opponents with their aggression rather than an impressive look (like larger dogs can)
In my experience, the loudness of a dog's bark is in inverse proportion to its size. Just ask anyone who's had a Chihuahua.
Old February 12 2013, 08:39 AM   #87
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

LOL good point. I never thought of it before but you're absolutely right.

Nerys Ghemor, I couldn't agree more. We call such things "torture breeding". They really ought to get forbidden. So many dogs with hanging lips or drooping eye lids suffer all their lives from painful inflammations. Dogs with shortened noses like Pekinese or Boxers have breathing trouble. Bull Terriers with their contorted legs have to endure horrible joint pains, Dachshunds regularly suffer from slipping discs and the list goes on and on.
Btw, the cutting of ears and tails or de-clawing is illegal in Germany unless it's for medical reasons. We have pretty much the strictest pet-protection laws in the world, I believe.
Old February 12 2013, 02:23 PM   #88
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

I've never been comfortable with declawing cats or dogs.

It's surgically removing the first bone of every digit on a domesticated animal's paws just because someone doesn't want their furniture and other household objects scratched up, and my view has pretty much always been: if you're so overly concerned about your sofa or carpet in the first place that you're willing to perform surgery on a pet to remove a natural defense that evolution has given them then maybe it wasn't a good idea to get a cat or dog in the first place.

Pick one or the other....or take the risk with your favorite recliner. But don't punish the pet when he or she hasn't done anything wrong.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 02:27 PM   #89
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

100% agreement!
(which is why I have a hamster - Working fullime, I have not enough time for a dog and I value my furniture too much to have cats)
Old February 12 2013, 03:01 PM   #90
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy Claus's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy Claus

I reject your conversation and substitute my own.

This is how she wakes me up some mornings.