Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old March 30 2013, 12:55 AM   #31
BruntFCA
Commander

Re: The ENT and Melakon

I like Unexpected as I tend to really like the really "weird" Trek episodes. And I have to agree with jespah about the Xyrillians alien-ness , defiantly a highlight of the episode.
Old March 30 2013, 02:53 AM   #32
feek61
Captain

I always like how Trek uses the same actors over and over. The male Xyrillian was the same guy who played the Xindi Degra in season 3
Old March 30 2013, 05:01 AM   #33
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Randy Oglesby did several roles in Trek, starting as one of the Chorus in TNG's "Loud As a Whisper". He's also memorable as the Miradorn twins in DS9's "Vortex". Apparently no stranger to genre roles, his earliest IMDB credit was in a 1981 version of "A Christmas Carol" as the Ghost of Christmas Past.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 07:23 PM   #34
Melakon
Vice Admiral

1:06 - Terra Nova

TV Blurb: Malcolm gets leg-broke, and Archer hangs around.

Ugh. So dull, it took 30 minutes to think of a tv blurb. The vomit emoticon would be appropriate if I was rating this.

The episode starts well, with the crew hoping to learn why contact was lost with the first human colony outside Earth's solar system. There's even a nod to TOS' "Miri" when one of the landing party looks at an old bicycle. I half expected someone to scream "MINE!" and come charging at them.

But once we start to find out what happened to the colonists, it turns into a story that has nothing to do with our own people except the desire to get Malcolm back. It might have been more effective for Archer to be the prisoner in this case, but that happens enough times in later episodes.

There is an attempt to give the planet's inhabitants a distinct dialect, and there are nice performances by guests Erick Avari and Mary Carver (who was then 77). There are several action scenes with a foot chase, a fire fight, and a rock climbing (or rock descending) rescue, but little of it matters in terms of making us care about anything.

In some ways, it looks like the story was inspired by the real-life historical Roanoke Colony, with Carver's character standing in for Virginia Dare.

Last edited by Melakon; March 31 2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old March 31 2013, 08:04 PM   #35
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Unexpected? To be honest... I didn't like that episode at all. I find nothing "fluffy" about it. Trip was basically raped without his knowledge. It's like a sick old perv dropping his pants and asking a kid who doesn't know better if they want to play a "game" which is exactly how it was described to Trip in the episode.

The whole alien pregnancy thing aside, not only is Trip violated without his knowledge or consent but the whole crew pretty much seems to think it's a big joke and berates him for it. Nice to see victim blaming is alive and well in the 22nd century. To be honest this always struck me as a "what were they thinking" episode. To say nothing of even in Enterprise they can't avoid holodeck episodes. Though the Klingon "i can see my house from here" did make me laugh.

Terra Nova was overly cliche, but at least it didn't actively offend even if it was boring. It's just an unoriginal concept, there's no character development and this has zero consequences in the future. Couple that with it not being entertaining and you have.... a fairly typical season 1 Enterprise episode.
Old March 31 2013, 11:49 PM   #36
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Am I the only person that loved Terra Nova? I loved the language, the caves, the culture, the decay, the old woman realizing she was that little girl. It's one of my favorite season one eps.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 12:07 AM   #37
Melakon
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Am I the only person that loved Terra Nova?
It's the same thing as me being the only person who liked VOY's "Twisted".
Old April 1 2013, 01:43 AM   #38
bluedana

Am I the only person that loved Terra Nova? I loved the language, the caves, the culture, the decay, the old woman realizing she was that little girl. It's one of my favorite season one eps.
I quite liked Terra Nova. If they'd gotten there just a few months or years later, they would never have been able to convince the colonists that they were human. It had the feel of a Ray Bradbury story.
Old April 1 2013, 03:23 AM   #39
teacake
Admiral

bluedana wrote: View Post
I quite liked Terra Nova. If they'd gotten there just a few months or years later, they would never have been able to convince the colonists that they were human. It had the feel of a Ray Bradbury story.
Ooo that's a very lovely comparison! I quite agree!

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 1 2013, 07:59 PM   #40
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

I thought the episode was meh, but what really bothered me was the staff playing the male-crewmember-gets-pregnant card in the first half of the show's first season. Thought it was a bad sign that the writers were going to this story so soon. In addition, a whimsical story so soon? We had only just begun the ourney and already they're trying to make us laugh. Berman and Braga seemed to already be sucking wind in the first few episodes.

For me, this did not bode well for future episodes.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 11:22 PM   #41
teacake
Admiral

I was completely horrified when I first watched Unexpected for all the reasons you give but typically I've grown to like it just fine. I think the aliens and their ship kept it interesting.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 2 2013, 12:33 AM   #42
Melakon
Vice Admiral

The male pregnancy plot was so old, Joan Rivers had directed Billy Crystal in 1978's Rabbit Test. It probably goes back further than that in literature, it sounds like the sort of fantasy that Thorne Smith would write.
Old April 2 2013, 02:13 AM   #43
teacake
Admiral

Here's the things I never want to see in science fiction again:

1. Male pregnancy OR ridiculous alien pregnancy of a human like on Torchwood.

2. The Rapid Aging disease.

And the worst one that I just throw stuff at the screen for..

3. Alien something or other is Jack the Ripper. That a was a great story in Wolf in the Fold NO NEED to ever do it again. Sanctuary made a main character be Jack the Ripper! And the Babylon 5 ep was so deeply embarrassing it hurts to remember it.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 2 2013, 11:23 AM   #44
Melakon
Vice Admiral

1:07 - The Andorian Incident

TV Blurb: Vulcans play charades, Andorians don't play nice, and Archer plays human punching bag.

I first saw this on original broadcast, and not again until recently, which is the case with all of Seasons 1 and 2. My initial negative impressions of the series are starting to change, now that I've been able to rewatch these early episodes.

Jeffrey Combs makes a welcome return to Trek, now as Shran, leader of Andorian commandos invading an ancient Vulcan monastery. He'll eventually become a recurring character.

We begin to learn that Vulcans aren't quite so honorable as we once thought, and that besides being arrogant bastards, they're sneaky little shits as well. These are not your parents' Vulcans anymore. At the end, it isn't entirely clear if T'Pol was aware of the deception going on at the ancient monastery for those studying kolinahr, but viewers can easily draw their own conclusions.

This episode originally gave me an unfavorable impression of Archer, as he gets beat up. A lot. But now I can see he allowed that to happen for a reason, and not just because he was a wimp or masochist.

Jeffrey Combs gets to be a real tough guy for a change, and Steven Dennis is deliciously creepy as his sidekick with a lusting eye for T'Pol ("I'll enjoy having you... as a prisoner.")

The new Andorian makeup features moving antenna, radio controlled by off-screen puppeteers, and subtly indicate changes of mood.

I didn't find The Big Revelation at the end all that impressive.

Favorite line: "For people without emotion, you sure have a flair for the dramatic."

The season's blooper reel has an outtake from one of Archer's interrogations.

Next episode is "Breaking the Ice".
Old April 2 2013, 11:45 AM   #45
teacake
Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post

We begin to learn that Vulcans aren't quite so honorable as we once thought, and that besides being arrogant bastards, they're sneaky little shits as well. These are not your parents' Vulcans anymore.
The signs were all there with T'Pring.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne