Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old July 12 2013, 05:27 PM   #286
Scout101
Admiral

Re: NFL 2013 Off-Season Discussion

Basically. And trying to hide behind the salary cap issue when he's a minimum salary guy seems pretty silly as well, as the Pats aren't in cap trouble, so can afford to wait if that's the worst of it...

As for the 'high profile' part, Hernandez is obviously in a separate stratosphere on that one. Dennard is only 'high profile' because of the recent Hernandez thing. Without that, it would have gotten a quick mention and then just dropped.

As for the Colts, plenty of examples, but tough to find a good high profile player to mention. Dominic Rhodes looks like the best one: Domestic Abuse in 2002 (not cut by team). Drunk Driving arrest in 2007 (not cut by team, despite per Tighr's insistance that teams should do so for these risky repeat offenders). Plenty of more recent examples, but no particularly high profile players involved. None of them were cut, however.

NFL has a problem in general with players getting arrested, far above the stats for other sports leagues. The ~40 arrests since the Superbowl are a pretty bad statistic, and something that needs to be addressed. Maybe they need to start putting a low (not zero) tolerance clause in the contracts, with a screw up and you're out clause, including forfeiting a massive chunk of your money or something? Not going to be taken more seriously unless there's some sort of big penalty, and someone high profile takes the hit...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old July 12 2013, 05:35 PM   #287
Use of Time
Commodore

Well the glaring one for the Colts could have been the Marvin Harrison issues back in 2008 where he was connected to a murder. Granted that one didn't stick and he didn't play the 2009 season.

As far as Dennard is concerned, I believe he was expected to be a starter so the Patriots just waiting that one out is the most likely and reasonable expectation. He'll just have to deal with the legal issues and eat whatever the NFL decides to throw at him but cutting him shouldn't really be expected.
Old July 12 2013, 06:13 PM   #288
Scout101
Admiral

Depends. The Hernandez thing DOES put a little wrinkle in it. Normally, not an event that on its own gets him cut, but because of the hyper-sensitivity at the moment, could be that they 'send a message' to players by making an example of him.

Mostly just fucking stupid. get a driver, hire a limo, whatever. Especially since he's on probabation, and aware that the Pats are going to be pretty sensitive to people getting arrested at the moment. Dumb...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
Old July 12 2013, 08:33 PM   #289
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Unfortunately, the NFL used to even have a free, anonymous, no-questions-asked designated driver program (a player could call a hotline and arrange to be picked up, anywhere at anytime), but due to a lack of use, it was quietly scrapped last year.
Old July 12 2013, 09:03 PM   #290
Scout101
Admiral

Sure the teams would be happy to help as well, plus, you know, they're basically all multi-millionaires, so $50 for a cab doesn't seem like a big deal...
Old July 24 2013, 09:09 PM   #291
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Can any of our lawyer friends here break down the Hernandez hearing today?

Closest I ever got to law was an environmental law class I took in college. Not much about murder in the Clean Water Act.
Old July 24 2013, 09:20 PM   #292
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Can any of our lawyer friends here break down the Hernandez hearing today?
The prosecution asked for additional time to prepare the case (because they're still sifting through all the crap of the double-homicide potentially linked to Hernandez in the aftermath of the initial arrest) prior to today's probable cause hearing -- they still have to present that evidence to a grand jury. The defense cried foul, saying they wanted to have the hearing now, and the judge said, "tough shit, they get 30 more days to prepare, your client goes back to his cell."
Old July 24 2013, 09:24 PM   #293
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I'm basing my information on two minutes of ESPN, so it's probably not completely accurate.

The defendant is entitled to a court hearing to determine if there is probable cause for a trial. The Prosecution said they weren't ready for the hearing yet, so they got a continuance to do it another day.

It might be possible to have a Grand Jury determine probable cause instead of a Judge at a court hearing, in which case, they'll do that (or they might have to do both). They haven't gone to a Grand Jury yet either. I don't want to speak for Massachusetts law to say it can be done that way.

ETA: More or less what Timby said.
Old August 3 2013, 02:33 PM   #294
tighr
Commodore

I apparently got up to date on this "Drew Brees is a bad tipper" controversy a little late (sorry, I don't follow the NFL religiously during the off-season). If you're not familiar with the story, Drew Brees left a $3 tip on a $74 tab at a restaurant. The catch (and was not originally reported)? It was a takeout order, and the employee who got the tip (probably a fully paid kitchen staffer, not a waiter/waitress) should be lucky to have gotten any tip at all.

For the record, I don't tip on takeout orders. Unless the food is ordered from my table and brought out to me, there was no "service" taking place.
Old August 4 2013, 01:51 AM   #295
Use of Time
Commodore

Riley Cooper is an idiot but I've about had my fill with the manufactured outrage of the media the last week. Some of his teammates will get past it and others won't. Time to move on. The sensitivity training is such a CYA (cover your ass) move it's almost insulting. I've been in locker rooms long enough to know how people like him operate. He is an ignorant moron that said something racist. What he said was ridiculous but I'd be willing to bet that he doesn't harbor hatred for the African American race. It will be interesting to see how he is assimilated back into the team. That's a poor explanation but I can't explain it any better than that. Looking back on the teams I played for growing up it blows my mind how much casual racism got tossed around without anybody batting an eye.

Herm Edwards had a good interview this week when he discussed how he forbid music with racist terms in the locker room and didn't tolerate any racially charged phrases which included players of the same race using them on each other. I think it takes a top to bottom sweep from team leadership to manage a locker room where racism is a non-issue.

Last edited by Use of Time; August 4 2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old August 4 2013, 02:31 AM   #296
tighr
Commodore

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Riley Cooper is an idiot but I've about had my fill with the manufactured outrage of the media the last week.
This is pretty much my feeling on this as well. This is beyond a non-issue, and that word only has power because certain people choose to empower it. Unfortunately, I am not black and therefore have no power to change things.

I am curious though, why is there no other racial slur in the English language that has anywhere NEAR the controversy as that one? None, not a single one.
Old August 4 2013, 03:42 AM   #297
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

tighr wrote: View Post
I apparently got up to date on this "Drew Brees is a bad tipper" controversy a little late (sorry, I don't follow the NFL religiously during the off-season). If you're not familiar with the story, Drew Brees left a $3 tip on a $74 tab at a restaurant. The catch (and was not originally reported)? It was a takeout order, and the employee who got the tip (probably a fully paid kitchen staffer, not a waiter/waitress) should be lucky to have gotten any tip at all.

For the record, I don't tip on takeout orders. Unless the food is ordered from my table and brought out to me, there was no "service" taking place.
For what it's worth, the restaurant I used to work for paid the to go employees 4 dollars an hour so they did depend on tips to make a living wage. It wasn't clearly articulated to the customers so I didn't blame them for not knowing. There was a tip jar, but it kept getting stolen. I felt bad for the employees either way, though. Working really hard for no tip in a tip-based job kind of sucks.
Old August 4 2013, 11:15 AM   #298
Yoda
Rear Admiral

If I were Drew Brees, someone else would be picking up my god damned takeout and under their god damned name. #personalassistant
Old August 4 2013, 08:00 PM   #299
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

^From what I read, this is actually a restaurant that Brees visits regularly. He's always getting food there and he's even taken pics and signed autographs for the staff. So my question is... if you someone big and famous like that who always comes to your venue, is always super cool, and normally gives you nothing to gripe about, why would you publically call him out and create a pseudo-controversy over this? If I was Brees, I would stop going there. He obviously can't trust them to not behave like dicks.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old August 7 2013, 03:23 AM   #300
Danny99
Vice Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
Riley Cooper is an idiot but I've about had my fill with the manufactured outrage of the media the last week.
This is pretty much my feeling on this as well. This is beyond a non-issue, and that word only has power because certain people choose to empower it. Unfortunately, I am not black and therefore have no power to change things.
Pretty much my feelings as well. If we could just call the man an idiot and move on, our lives would be so much easier.

The whole Brees thing is just silly. It's a takeout order, who tips on takeout?