RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,415
Members: 24,632
Currently online: 432
Newest member: shrutidhrma

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 5 2013, 04:50 PM   #16
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Re: Peter Jackson - Overrated?

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I think he's rated perfectly.
So what is he? PG? R?

I think the LOTR trilogy has aged just fine and far surpassed anything I imagined when reading the books 30 years ago.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 05:50 PM   #17
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Bad Taste, Heavenly Creatures and Fellowship of the Ring are among my favourite films to watch. Love Jackson, one of the world's premiere fantasy directors.

If you want overrated then look at JJ Abrams, who people in the other section treat as a God-like genius despite having only directed 3 films. One of which is Mission: Impossible 3 (!?).
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 06:57 PM   #18
RoJoHen
Awesome

From the stuff of his that I've seen, I think he has great talent as a director. I just think that he needs to get over his own "epicness." There is a time and a place to tell an epic, 3-hour story. That time is not every time. Dude needs an Editor Sidekick.
Old February 5 2013, 07:04 PM   #19
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

DalekJim wrote: View Post
If you want overrated then look at JJ Abrams, who people in the other section treat as a God-like genius despite having only directed 3 films. One of which is Mission: Impossible 3 (!?).
Maybe one or two threads shouldn't be derailed, what do you think about that?
Old February 5 2013, 07:11 PM   #20
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Infern0 wrote: View Post
In my opinion, Jackson is reaching George Lucas levels of overrated, if we look at his main resume it's patchy at best.

LOTR, Very Good, but hasn't aged that well and DOES have it's flaws. (Cheesy at times, stilted dialogue, straying from the source material, battle scenes bailing out the "boring" character development)

King Kong, below average

The Lovely Bones, poor

The Hobbit, average

His main claim to fame is obviously The Lord Of The Rings, which won a lot of oscars and made him practically a God in his native New Zealand , but really I can't see how anyone could have failed with Lord of The Rings, the material, that cast, the budget, it was destined to succeed.

Point is I don't think the guy is more than a slightly above average director but I feel he's got a reputation he doesn't deserve, a lot of people seem to put him up there with Spielberg when I don't see him as anywhere remotely close to that level.

Considering his poor work since LOTR, and now going back to do The Hobbit which he said he had no interest in, AND making it into three movies I think he's just gone back to what he had success with, but from the first in this new trilogy it looks as though he's been unable to do that at the same level as before.

You can almost see a "lucas" happening here where Jackson may have more creative control than last time, plus a lesser quality cast and things are just not shaping up the same way, granted it's not as huge a drop in quality, but you can notice it.

Not trying to bash the guy or anything, just don't see him on the level many do.

Thoughts?
Actually, LOTR bored me silly, I thought King Kong was great, I'll wait for the Hobbit to come to TV and I wouldn't watch Lovely Bones on a bet.

He's not overrated. Just some of his movies.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 07:13 PM   #21
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

The Lovely Bones is the only bad movie he's made, completely misses the point of the book. King Kong is good but the stuff on the island is way too over the top and extended compared to the original film.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 07:15 PM   #22
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

The Lovely Bones is the only bad movie he's made, completely misses the point of the book. King Kong is good but the stuff on the island is way too over the top and extended compared to the original film.
The whole point of the project was to expand on the original film. I can't fault him for doing what he intended to do.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 07:27 PM   #23
Gaith
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
From the stuff of his that I've seen, I think he has great talent as a director. I just think that he needs to get over his own "epicness." There is a time and a place to tell an epic, 3-hour story. That time is not every time. Dude needs an Editor Sidekick.
The Hobbit probably should have been two movies, but then, if you're a WB exec, and Jackson suggests making a third one for comparatively little cost, thereby securing your grandkids' college tuitions, are you really gonna tell him to rein it in? Also, this is a kind of unique situation in that the studio can make as many Hobbit and LotR movies as they like, but nothing beyond that, at least until Christopher Tolkien passes, but probably forever. So it's not a situation where they stand to lose future box office returns by tanking the brand. (It's hardly a coincidence, I think, that we'll likely finally be getting a getting a Warcraft movie the year after the Middle-Earth film series ends.)

That said, I don't think Jackson's doing a third Hobbit movie for the money. There's a bit in a Production Diary where they mention the rock giants sequence, and Jackson says something along the lines of "it was only a throaway detail in the book, but I know the kids'd be upset if we didn't make a big show of it!" Which... no, dude, no one would have minded if that battle was just something the group observed in the distance for a few moments before moving on. But hey, he's having fun, and so am I, so I don't much feel like grousing...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 08:15 PM   #24
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

No.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 09:21 PM   #25
Neroon
Mod of balance

A different subject for a different thread, provided said subject is conducted properly.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 09:25 PM   #26
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

I got Peter Jackson on the phone. He tasks you to do better than him.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 09:44 PM   #27
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Deckerd wrote: View Post
The LoTR trilogy are an amazing achievement, no matter what your quibbles about the minutiae. They were a career high for him. It looks like he's trying to keep going with the Hobbit but it's already looking like it's not going to happen. People just aren't that interested.
The Hobbit has already made a billion. What makes you say people aren't interested?
Old February 5 2013, 10:10 PM   #28
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

No, I don't think he's overrated. I quite enjoyed LotR and King Kong. I'm not sure Hobbit was meant to be three films, but I think Jackson's a better choice to try than many others.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 12:05 AM   #29
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

He's not overrated, no. Outside of LotR talk, I don't hear him discussed much so he doesn't really seem to be rated either way. Someone who is overrated is a director who is talked about all the time, such as Spielberg (IMO, of course), when their talent doesn't live up to the hype.
Old February 6 2013, 12:09 AM   #30
Skywalker
Admiral

LOTR will still be looked upon as one of the great cinematic achievements decades from now.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote