RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,632
Posts: 5,427,474
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 498
Newest member: Rom

TrekToday headlines

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 5 2013, 07:19 AM   #1
oswater
Ensign
 
Location: DFW
Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

Hello everybody, my name is Dardan. A few friends and I put together a short parody film of Star Trek: The Next Generation. It starts off as kind of a tongue-in-cheek jokey thing, but becomes it's own sort of strange fun mess.
I didn't know this place existed, another forum referred me to here. I'm very, very glad to have found this place.
Warning: Coarse Language.
Anywho, here's the link:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_pm0RpH0hc
I hope you guys enjoy it!
Also, if you do enjoy it please share it with your friends. We just want to make as many people laugh as we can.
Thanks for watching.

Last edited by oswater; February 5 2013 at 08:42 AM.
oswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

A bit much on the four-letter wordage.
__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Barbreader
Fleet Captain
 
Location: New York, New York
View Barbreader's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

I've added your film to Star Trek Restricted due to language. See http://startrekrestricted.blogspot.c...11/post-5.html , under F.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 08:42 AM   #4
oswater
Ensign
 
Location: DFW
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

Maurice wrote: View Post
A bit much on the four-letter wordage.
Added a warning. Hoped not to offend.

Barbreader wrote: View Post
I've added your film to Star Trek Restricted due to language. See http://startrekrestricted.blogspot.c...11/post-5.html , under F.
Thank you!

Last edited by oswater; February 5 2013 at 08:46 AM. Reason: So I wont double-post.
oswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

I little heavy (okay a lot heavy) on the gay stereotypes. Which *may* have been funny in 1988. Not so much in 2013.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 09:24 PM   #6
oswater
Ensign
 
Location: DFW
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I little heavy (okay a lot heavy) on the gay stereotypes. Which *may* have been funny in 1988. Not so much in 2013.
Is it because the movie is designed with a Vaudevillian style?
Is it because the characters discuss things like sex, desire and attraction?
Is it because Troy, a male playing a female character, is feminine?
Or is it because of the 'curing homosexuality' joke in the first act?

Either way you slice it, only one of the characters is written as a homosexual. Vaudeville is a style that's brightly colored and strange on purpose. Watch any Marx Bros film or John Waters movie and you'll see what I'm talking about. The characters discuss things like sex and desire because that's relevant to what the villain of the story does. He lives off peoples desires.
Troy is feminine because HE is still based off his female character. A man can act feminine without being gay.
Oh and that 'curing gayness' joke was written by a gay man.
So honestly, I think you don't even know what you're offended about.
I would love for you to watch the video again and I have no hard feelings. The last thing I want is for somebody to imply I'm some sort of bigot.
oswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 11:37 PM   #7
Captain Atkin
Commander
 
Captain Atkin's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

I thought that was pretty damn funny. As for the "cure gayness" joke... lets face it... how often did we ever see gay people (from Earth) represented on TNG? The fact that a gay person wrote that joke in the early 90s doesn't surprise me in the least. Sure, some of the humor in this video might seem dated now, but that is what makes it so much fun to me.

The only thing that I felt was missing in this video was music during the acting scenes. I think adding some cheesey music to the film would add to the humor. All in all though, this was an enjoyable little film. Strange as hell, but enjoyable
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 07:57 AM   #8
boobatuba
Rear Admiral
 
boobatuba's Avatar
 
Location: Stillwater, OK
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

oswater wrote: View Post
Oh and that 'curing gayness' joke was written by a gay man.
So honestly, I think you don't even know what you're offended about.
Wow. So if a homosexual says it, it can't possibly be offensive? Just...wow.

A note about vaudeville...it was popular in the first 1/3 of the 20th century. It was INCREDIBLY offensive to minorities, and that was the point. So, I don't understand why you would be surprised that people are offended if you claim to write in a "vaudevillian style."

My problem with the video is that I just don't think the jokes are very funny. I don't find talking about "white girl pussy" terribly clever. I find it very juvenile with a sort of "tee-hee" flavor. Not my cup of tea, but also just my opinion.
__________________
Your benevolent dictator for life.
boobatuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 07:59 AM   #9
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

oswater wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I little heavy (okay a lot heavy) on the gay stereotypes. Which *may* have been funny in 1988. Not so much in 2013.
Is it because the movie is designed with a Vaudevillian style?
Is it because the characters discuss things like sex, desire and attraction?
Is it because Troy, a male playing a female character, is feminine?
Or is it because of the 'curing homosexuality' joke in the first act?

Either way you slice it, only one of the characters is written as a homosexual. Vaudeville is a style that's brightly colored and strange on purpose. Watch any Marx Bros film or John Waters movie and you'll see what I'm talking about. The characters discuss things like sex and desire because that's relevant to what the villain of the story does. He lives off peoples desires.
Troy is feminine because HE is still based off his female character. A man can act feminine without being gay.
Oh and that 'curing gayness' joke was written by a gay man.
So honestly, I think you don't even know what you're offended about.
I would love for you to watch the video again and I have no hard feelings. The last thing I want is for somebody to imply I'm some sort of bigot.
Just because the something wasn't intended to be offensive doesn't mean that it can't be seen as offensive. Lots of gay people engage in gay stereotyping, which doesn't make it not a stereotype. Troy lisps and minces...your classic portrayal of a mincing queen. Some people might find that dated or offensive.
__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 08:28 AM   #10
oswater
Ensign
 
Location: DFW
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
I thought that was pretty damn funny. As for the "cure gayness" joke... lets face it... how often did we ever see gay people (from Earth) represented on TNG? The fact that a gay person wrote that joke in the early 90s doesn't surprise me in the least. Sure, some of the humor in this video might seem dated now, but that is what makes it so much fun to me.

The only thing that I felt was missing in this video was music during the acting scenes. I think adding some cheesey music to the film would add to the humor. All in all though, this was an enjoyable little film. Strange as hell, but enjoyable
Thank you for watching, and I completely agree. More music would really fill out the atmosphere.
boobatuba wrote: View Post
oswater wrote: View Post
Oh and that 'curing gayness' joke was written by a gay man.
So honestly, I think you don't even know what you're offended about.
Wow. So if a homosexual says it, it can't possibly be offensive? Just...wow.
The argument wasn't that a gay man has magic anti-offensive armor on, it was that it portrayed gay stereotypes. A gay stereotype needs to come from a place of ignorance, which is was not.
A note about vaudeville...it was popular in the first 1/3 of the 20th century. It was INCREDIBLY offensive to minorities, and that was the point. So, I don't understand why you would be surprised that people are offended if you claim to write in a "vaudevillian style."
So were films, music, stage and popular culture in the early 20th century. Modern vaudeville is not. It was adopted by people like Conan O'Brien and John Waters to celebrate things like strangeness and outlandish behavior. So your point is completely moot.
My problem with the video is that I just don't think the jokes are very funny. I don't find talking about "white girl pussy" terribly clever. I find it very juvenile with a sort of "tee-hee" flavor. Not my cup of tea, but also just my opinion.
Completely fair. Glad you watched it.

Just because the something wasn't intended to be offensive doesn't mean that it can't be seen as offensive.
And sometimes a tool is also a weapon. Again, didn't mean to offend. But if you laugh, then have a great a time. If you don't, maybe next time I'll make something more up your alley.
oswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 12:40 AM   #11
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

Yeah.

You don't get a "next time," any more than I'd waste time on another Uwe Boll movie. That's the consequence of doing something really poorly.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 04:06 AM   #12
oswater
Ensign
 
Location: DFW
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Yeah.

You don't get a "next time," any more than I'd waste time on another Uwe Boll movie. That's the consequence of doing something really poorly.
Thanks for giving it a shot!
But considering Uwe Boll had directed dozens of movies and has made millions of dollars, it means your time isn't very valuable. So I guess my "consequence" is having to deal with you.
oswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 05:30 AM   #13
TayLaLaLa
Commodore
 
TayLaLaLa's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

I thought it was great!

ETA: Fun, kinda In Living Color(No Offense) but I enjoyed that show.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 06:20 AM   #14
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

oswater wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Yeah.

You don't get a "next time," any more than I'd waste time on another Uwe Boll movie. That's the consequence of doing something really poorly.
Thanks for giving it a shot!
But considering Uwe Boll had directed dozens of movies and has made millions of dollars, it means your time isn't very valuable. So I guess my "consequence" is having to deal with you.
A gracious artist accepts that not everyone likes his or her work and doesn't feel the need to snipe the people who don't. Some people hate the music videos I've directed, and, you know what, that's fine. If they think my work isn't worth the time even after watching for 15 seconds, that's fine too.
__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 06:50 AM   #15
TayLaLaLa
Commodore
 
TayLaLaLa's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

There is a difference in constructive criticism and someone just shooting off at the mouth.

ETA: I don't have a dog in this fight but I enjoyed what the film makers did.

Last edited by TayLaLaLa; February 8 2013 at 07:19 AM.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.