RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,409
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 554
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 1 2013, 05:18 AM   #1
Captain Nebula
Lieutenant Commander

Why did the Changelings look like Odo?

Odo modeled his hair like Dr. Mora Pol, the Bajoran Scientist that worked with him when he was first found. Why did all of the other Changelings have hair just like Odo then?
Captain Nebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 05:33 AM   #2
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: Why did the Changelings look like Odo?

To look like Odo, of course. I imagine if Laas had made it to the Great Link before Odo, they'd all look like Laas, with that vaguely Varalan forehead of his.

And Odo's face is more of a sketch of a humanoid visage, and the Founder's weren't too keen on reproducing humanoid appearance unless they were deliberately infiltrating the enemy. Odo's look was minimalist, and the Founder's liked it.

Alternatively, the Odo-type appearance of the Founders is their default appearance (perhaps a holdover from when they were Solids, too), and Odo himself just hadn't the experience to hold a more complex form than his default. Hence the Founders look like Founders when they're not mimicking another form, and naturally the young Founder Odo looks like one, too.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 05:40 AM   #3
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Alternatively, the Odo-type appearance of the Founders is their default appearance (perhaps a holdover from when they were Solids, too), and Odo himself just hadn't the experience to hold a more complex form than his default. Hence the Founders look like Founders when they're not mimicking another form, and naturally the young Founder Odo looks like one, too.
Also, Salome Jens' earlier appearance as the ancient humanoid in TNG's "The Chase" sort of looks like a precursor to the Odo makeup, so there might be a workable explanation there.
Old February 1 2013, 06:12 AM   #4
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I think that Odo is simply mistaken about his form being based off of Pol, and that his humanoid form is the default form all Changlings can assume when they want to. A holdover from their Solid days.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 02:49 PM   #5
dub
Captain

Anwar wrote: View Post
I think that Odo is simply mistaken about his form being based off of Pol, and that his humanoid form is the default form all Changlings can assume when they want to. A holdover from their Solid days.
^^That's also the explanation I tell myself.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 03:04 PM   #6
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

Odo was a celebrity. So they all jumped on the bandwagon.
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 03:20 PM   #7
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander

Triskelion wrote: View Post
Odo was a celebrity. So they all jumped on the bandwagon.
Exactly. Everyone knows that Odo was the galaxies #1 trend-setter. He had more style than Kirk.
Old February 1 2013, 08:09 PM   #8
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

^

Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 08:17 PM   #9
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Timo will be along presently to tell you that you never saw the Founders except after they had seen Odo and the form he took for solids. Aside, of course, from the other scattered seed that Odo encountered, who looked nothing like the other changelings, who went on his merry way presumably already contaminated by Odo to die a horrible death. All of the changelings, Odo included, were capable of extremely sophisticated shapeshifting, so the excuse that he never got the hang of humans was frankly bollocks.
Old February 2 2013, 02:21 AM   #10
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

Deckerd wrote: View Post
All of the changelings, Odo included, were capable of extremely sophisticated shapeshifting, so the excuse that he never got the hang of humans was frankly bollocks.
That always bugged me. He can turn into a bird, capable of flight, which means rather complex feather patterns. Heck, his hair is more complex than his face. And he can do the double-nostril thing like the Cardassians

The only real explanation I can think of is that he practices his shape-shifting by surrounding other objects - so maybe he never just slimed anyone's face before
Old February 2 2013, 02:34 AM   #11
Melakon
Vice Admiral

He slimed Kira though.
Old February 2 2013, 03:05 AM   #12
E-DUB
Captain

I'm surprised that the changelings never, at least to our knowledge, imitated "hot chicks" to manipulate human males. Hey, I'm not saying it's right or wrong but it's a tactic that has been known to work. Right, Dr. Baltar?
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 08:50 AM   #13
MacLeod
Admiral

Or perhaps they appear that way to make Odo feel more comfortable.

After all we do know of Changelings who appeared as O'Brien, Bashir and Martok.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 09:52 AM   #14
lurok
Commodore

E-DUB wrote: View Post
I'm surprised that the changelings never, at least to our knowledge, imitated "hot chicks" to manipulate human males. Hey, I'm not saying it's right or wrong but it's a tactic that has been known to work. Right, Dr. Baltar?
But isn't there that whole thing around Paradise Lost and there being several Changelings on Earth? For all we know one of them may well have been a 'hot chick' . Or guy. Either works for me.

Last edited by lurok; February 2 2013 at 10:17 AM.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 11:43 AM   #15
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

The real-life reason we had identikit Changelings? So idiot viewers could tell at a glance their species. The same reason why Romulans sprouted forehead bumps in TNG.