(SPOILERS!) About the SuperBowl Trailer...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kruezerman, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I know, I just found it interesting.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Found it.
    [​IMG]
    Look at that - the fire on the saucer right where ENTERPRISE is burned off in the scenes of the ship falling to Earth...

3. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

It's like Pixar and their "spoilers" in previous movies.

4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

The similarities in damage could be because that's where phaser banks are located on the saucers, especially forward ones around the name and number. Could be the people making the CGI were all thinking that an enemy might target the weapons systems (and warp engines, for that matter).

5. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

The banks on the starboard and port sides were left untouched by the enemy. And, if an enemy was targeting weapons system, wouldn't it be better if they used precision targeting? It looks to me that someone was deliberating attempting to erase the name Enterprise from the hull.

6. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Although I'm not discounting the theory, an attacker might want the name scratched off the hull... it's very interesting in a way actually... There are probably just some phaser banks near the lettering, and an enemy just knows exactly where the ship needs to be hit to render it defenseless. Those turrets (or whatever term describes those raised sections with beam emitters on them) explode, leaving damage in the surrounding area. Coincidentally blackening the name out because the hull plating has been charred by several large after explosions.

7. greenlight

greenlight Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The shot of the ship crashing into the water at the end of the first trailer is clearly not the Enterprise. You can't tell much about the saucer or the secondary hull but the pylons and nacelles are nothing like the new 1701. It could be a ship that Harrison has stolen, it could be another starfleet ship (Pike's?) that's a casualty of a multi-ship battle, or...

Take a look at this:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1302/05/startrek172.htm

Pylons and nacelles that don't seem to be like the new 1701! Could just be bad draftsmanship, but maybe the severe damage we're seeing in this new trailer happens earlier in the movie after all. Maybe we get a refit halfway through the movie. Time will tell.

8. Xerxes1979

Xerxes1979 Captain Captain

Can someone rotate a 3D model of the new Enterprise against this still to prove that this is a different starship class?

[​IMG]

9. F. King Daniel

It's not the Enterprise hitting the water, it's this ship:
    [​IMG]
    I found this pic online. It's from the trailer shown at the end of the 9-minute preview.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Yours is pretty muddy...

[​IMG]

There seems to be a difference in the shape of the nacelle and the strut looks to have a bend in it. The struts also seem to come from the center at a different angle than the ones on the 1701.

11. greenlight

greenlight Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Wow, King Daniel! Excellent find! That sure looks like it could be the ship that's crashing into the water. At this point I don't feel comfortable making any predictions beyond saying that the crashing ship is definitely not the 1701 from the first movie. Beyond that, it could be another federation ship (we're bound to see a few), or a rental, or, given the pace of the last movie, we might get multiple refits over the course of a couple hours, culminating in the 1701-JJ.

12. Franklin

I don't mean to throw a bucket of cold water on the pic (badda-bing!), but that looks like a very blurry picture of a starship by a cratered moon, with some sort of space station or other ship on the right side of the picture. Not a ship underwater or even about to hit water. Just my take.

13. BillJ

That's Kirk taking a space dive. :techman:

14. Franklin

Oh, yeah. I can make out the boots and the rest of the shape, now. Unless you just planted that image in my head with your suggestion. ;)

15. BillJ

I thought it was a space rock until you said space station, then I had to go take another look. :lol:

16. Franklin

If you stop the trailer at 1:13, you can Kirk in his space suit and the saucer of the ship he is probably heading toward is peeking out from behind some space debris. So, it must all be the same scene above a (the?) moon.

I thank King Daniel for posting the picture from that scene that had the entire ship in it, or I wouldn't have found its saucer in the version of the trailer I watched (who knew to look for it?).

The scene doesn't portend much about that ship's fate, though.

17. F. King Daniel

Yeah, I should have said I think that's the ship that skims the water, because of the further-apart nacelles. It could easily be another ship.

18. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm :p

Production designer Scott Chambliss talks to TrekWeb
    more here

19. F. King Daniel

You know what would really be a kicker? If the ship crashing is all part of a Spock nightmare sequence, a la Countdown to Darkness #1:ack:

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I think that possibility has already occurred to a few people here, and Chambliss pretty much avoided giving a direct answer to the question, so I'll wait and see.

For my money, a more interesting part of that exchange was this bit: