New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 5 2013, 03:59 AM   #31
FlapJoy
Lieutenant Commander

Re: (SPOILERS!) About the SuperBowl Trailer...

While the Enterprise may look like a goner, I feel she'll take a shitload of damage but limp along to the end, like in WOK. With all it goes thru it still survives, saves the day, and is established finally as THE hero ship, Kirk's ship, OUR ship.

In the plot of the film with Starfleet turncoats possibly sabotaging the fleet I think other ships will come crashing down to Earth, (like airplanes into World Trade Centers) the onslaught of falling fleets may be responsible for all the damage we see to Earth's cities, as an anti-starfleet metaphor, but not our Enterprise... it will endure.

She'll be repaired, upgraded. A chance to build new sets, redesigned engine rooms and bridge. Maybe even upgraded nacelles. But it will still be the same Enterprise, stronger then ever and ready to do it all again.

Last edited by FlapJoy; February 5 2013 at 04:48 AM.
FlapJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 04:45 AM   #32
Good
Commander

FlapJoy wrote: View Post
Maybe even upgraded nacelles.
Oh yes. By the Great Bird, yes. The more I look at it, the more I realize that it's the nacelles that make me hate this new ship. Actually, not the nacelles so much as the connectors and how and where they attach to the secondary hull.
Old February 5 2013, 05:03 AM   #33
Robert D. Robot
Captain

The Countdown to Darkness comic 5 page preview (shown in a different thread) shows Spock dreaming(?) about actions that might have saved his Mother, but resulted in the destruction of the Enterprise.

Could they be pulling a "J.R." moment on us in this commercial by showing the Enterprise being destroyed in a dream?

.... Like the Borg device sprouting from Picard's cheek at the beginning of "First Contact"?
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 05:14 AM   #34
Robert D. Robot
Captain

FlapJoy wrote: View Post
While the Enterprise may look like a goner, I feel she'll take a shitload of damage but limp along to the end, like in WOK. With all it goes thru it still survives, saves the day, and is established finally as THE hero ship, Kirk's ship, OUR ship.
I guess I agree! The damage does look pretty bad, but they sure were able to fix all the damage done to the carrier Enterprise in WWII and get her turned around and back into service quickly to fight again in the Pacific. NCC-1701 may be able to be salvaged
(and NEED to be salvaged), especially if Harrison has successfully destroyed much of the rest of the fleet.
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 06:46 AM   #35
JonnyBoy
Lieutenant Commander

I really don't see Paramount or Bad Robot spoiling the actual destruction of the Enterprise. Its not like Abrams. The editing of the trailer implies that the ship crashing into San Fransisco bay (and City) is the Enterprise, but we know from careful inspection that it isn't. And I really don't believe they would imply what we can determine to be false, and then crash the Enterprise, as if to say, "Yeah, that wasn't the Enterprise crashing in that shot, but it crashes in another one you haven't seen yet! Two crashing starships!" Looks to me like maybe its a red herring. An effective one, for sure, but I think there is going to be more to it.
Old February 5 2013, 06:59 AM   #36
SeerSGB
Admiral

JonnyBoy wrote: View Post
I really don't see Paramount or Bad Robot spoiling the actual destruction of the Enterprise. Its not like Abrams. The editing of the trailer implies that the ship crashing into San Fransisco bay (and City) is the Enterprise, but we know from careful inspection that it isn't. And I really don't believe they would imply what we can determine to be false, and then crash the Enterprise, as if to say, "Yeah, that wasn't the Enterprise crashing in that shot, but it crashes in another one you haven't seen yet! Two crashing starships!" Looks to me like maybe its a red herring. An effective one, for sure, but I think there is going to be more to it.
Well Paramount spoiled the ship's destruction in the ST III trailer. Abrams might not be inclined to, though.
Old February 5 2013, 07:01 AM   #37
Oso Blanco
Fleet Captain

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
PixelMagic wrote: View Post
Eh, the more I think about it, if they really were going to destroy the Enterprise, they wouldn't have shown this in the trailer. J.J. Abrams is known for secrets, and if they were going to destroy the Enterprise, I don't think he would have let it out of the bag like this.
I think you're probably right.
They showed the the destruction of Vulcan in the trailer for the first movie! It completely ruined the surprise element in the theater for me.
Old February 5 2013, 07:13 AM   #38
JonnyBoy
Lieutenant Commander

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
PixelMagic wrote: View Post
Eh, the more I think about it, if they really were going to destroy the Enterprise, they wouldn't have shown this in the trailer. J.J. Abrams is known for secrets, and if they were going to destroy the Enterprise, I don't think he would have let it out of the bag like this.
I think you're probably right.
They showed the the destruction of Vulcan in the trailer for the first movie! It completely ruined the surprise element in the theater for me.
True enough, but for the uninitiated, they made it difficult/nearly impossible to even guess what planet was actually being destroyed.
Old February 5 2013, 08:54 AM   #39
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Maybe Harrison can cast illusions, or maybe Pike meets the Talosians in this one?

The trailer for ST VI showed Kirk disintegrated by phaser blast.
Therin of Andor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 09:51 AM   #40
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

When I saw the trailer for ST 2009 I had no idea that was Vulcan being destroyed. I thought it was Romulus since I'd heard that it was destroyed in the film.
Old February 5 2013, 10:05 AM   #41
Captain Rob
Commodore

Since almost all of the issues with this ship's design is with the engineering section and the engines. Maybe they'll pull off a saucer seperation to save everyone.
Old February 5 2013, 12:00 PM   #42
anh165
Commander

I think the Enterprise looks fantastic - in some ways more optimistic looking than the TMP refit, nice to see round saucers and long nacelles back again.

They cannot destroy it, it will endure, save the day on many occasions and fans will eventually love that ship.
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 12:17 PM   #43
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I love this Enterprise too, the proportions the shapes, everything. I've had the model sat on a shelf since 2009. It's got none of the awkwardness of the original series ship nor the fragility of old movie version.
Old February 5 2013, 12:17 PM   #44
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

I have a question to this if the enterprise gets destroyed will kirk and crew be delayed on there 5 year mission we all know time was changed and events will unfold out different, so will this mean the E be refitted quicker and similar to the TMP version with the characters going there separate ways ??? could this happen !!! Or have the writers and producers and directors listened to the fans about how much dislike to the new E that fans reacted to.??

I've got no problem with the E getting blown up or destroyed if it makes a great scene I'm up for it. Some of the scenes in 09 trek were amazing and the best I've seen in all trek films....
Old February 5 2013, 12:22 PM   #45
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

And I loved the new E and her Ample naccelles !! She had some lovely curves !!!!