Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 5 2013, 12:17 AM   #46
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

DarthTom wrote: View Post
The real question is has the British Monarchy survived into the 22nd Century and is the Windsor family line still on the throne?
I don't think that is the real question.

Ovation wrote: View Post
The Union flag is symmetrical, is it not?
Nope.
Old February 5 2013, 12:18 AM   #47
Relayer1
Commodore

The Union flag is symmetrical, is it not? Putting it upside down gives you the same image, non? (or maybe I need a new pair of glasses)
Bloody Colonials...

Old February 5 2013, 12:29 AM   #48
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

section9 wrote: View Post
Yes, and expect the Last Holdout Nation State in the 23rd Century to be reigned, but not ruled, by a sometimes dotty family of imported German Monarchs.

You've heard of the Space Hippies? You haven't lived until you've seen the 23rd Century Version of the Space Windsors...
Oh, of course, the only question left for England is this: have they made it past Andorra or a visiting Rigelian Friendly Team in World Cup Qualifying?

You know, from 2258 to 1966 is a really, really long time!
Sci wrote: View Post
I see no reason why the Union Jack can't fly next to the Flag of the United Federation of Planets. I'm sure the United Kingdom still exists as a polity within the United Earth polity, which itself still exists within the Federation.

Though I, too, would have preferred to see the Flag of United Earth fly alongside the Union Jack and Federation Flag.

Also, I'm more bothered by the fact that the Union Jack seems to be upside down.
Typical American mistake by a bunch of Yanks from Los Angeles who think that just because they know some lines from the "Spanish Inquisition" sketch and the "Dead Parrot" sketch, they get to fly the Union Flag upside down.

Two words: "Jesus wept."
Instead of making three separate posts, two minutes apart, you can use the edit button ( ) to amend/add to an existing post. Posting more than twice in a row may be deemed spamming, so I'll just fix these for you.
Old February 5 2013, 12:44 AM   #49
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
... if it was set in the US the American Flag would be flying
Oh, I'd love to see that, wonder how many stars the old girl would hold?
T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 12:47 AM   #50
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Canonically speaking, the most number of states we've heard about in Trek's version of the USA is 52. I'm sure there could have been more added later, though.
Old February 5 2013, 01:12 AM   #51
Franklin
Rear Admiral

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
The real question is has the British Monarchy survived into the 22nd Century and is the Windsor family line still on the throne?

Nope.
I'm trying to move it around in my mind, but the flag isn't just upside down, either, is it? The stripes are just off. I don't know.

This has already ruined the movie for me. How many more mistakes like this have been made, Mr. Abrams? Attention to detail my ass.

I think the British government should ask Paramount for a formal apology over this, as well as a promise that the mistake will be corrected whatever the cost. If they don't, then Parliament should ban the movie in the UK. I smell diplomatic incident!
Old February 5 2013, 03:13 AM   #52
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Shazam! wrote: View Post
The Union flag is symmetrical, is it not? Putting it upside down gives you the same image, non? (or maybe I need a new pair of glasses)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_jack#Flying
Thanks for the link. I stand corrected.

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post

Nope.
Again, thanks.

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Bloody Colonials...

Guilty as charged.

At the risk of further offending the UK contingent, in my defence, the asymmetry is considerably more subtle than the US and Canadian flags I am used to seeing. Rest assured, though, I won't make this mistake again.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 12:57 PM   #53
MacLeod
Admiral

True the difference is subtle, though I can see this appearing in tvtropes as did not to the research.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 03:09 PM   #54
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

in my defence,
Anyone who missed the subtly if you spelling 'defence' the way the British do and not us yanks, missed the best part IMO.

BTW,

it's defense not defence

it's color not colour

and

it's check not cheque

Abrams better fucking get those right or it will ruin the movie for me.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 03:22 PM   #55
FlapJoy
Lieutenant Commander

Is the flag upside-down, or is it backwards? ... if it's blowing the opposite direction we might be seeing the back. Or perhaps the entire scene is backwards, flipped over, which happens a lot in movie trailers when editing small clips together. Could be all of the above. They even run scenes in reverse for trailers sometimes.

EDIT: Looking at a screen shot, I'm probably wrong.

Last edited by FlapJoy; February 5 2013 at 03:41 PM.
FlapJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 04:36 PM   #56
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

BTW,

it's defense not defence

it's color not colour

and

it's check not cheque

Abrams better fucking get those right or it will ruin the movie for me.
Old February 5 2013, 04:49 PM   #57
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post
I think the British government should ask Paramount for a formal apology over this, as well as a promise that the mistake will be corrected whatever the cost. If they don't, then Parliament should ban the movie in the UK. I smell diplomatic incident!
By the 22nd century the Monarchy was dissolved and Parliment redesigned the flag in a different albiet similar pattern.

Since Star Trek is fiction ... lets rewrite British future history to fit Star Trek on screen.
Old February 5 2013, 05:00 PM   #58
FlapJoy
Lieutenant Commander

Well, while it's far from an international incident, I would say it is a bit lazy... if you want to depict England on screen but you can't sort out certain details, that's lazy film making.

Last edited by FlapJoy; February 5 2013 at 05:11 PM.
FlapJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 05:03 PM   #59
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post
By the 22nd century the Monarchy was dissolved and Parliment redesigned the flag in a different albiet similar pattern.

Since Star Trek is fiction ... lets rewrite British future history to fit Star Trek on screen.
We'll call it the "Abrams flag" or "Abrams jack."

Then let's have the British eat "french fries" in the 22nd century, too. And while we're at it, let's end all that biscuit confusion and have them say, "cookies."
Old February 5 2013, 05:06 PM   #60
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

FlapJoy wrote: View Post
Well, while it's far from an international incident, I would say it is a bit lazy... if you want to depict England on screen but you can't sort out certain details, that's lazy film making. Would Spielberg screw that up?
Apparently Mr. Spielberg made a whole bunch of real historical mistakes it his latest masterpiece Lincoln

I ain't worried about an upside down flag in a movie about future fiction.

a Pulitzer Prize-winning historian of the period, claims in a letter to the New York Times that the movie “grossly exaggerates” its main points about the choices at stake in the passage of the Thirteenth Amendment (November 26, 2012).[60] Kate Masur (Northwestern University) accuses the film of oversimplifying the role of blacks in abolition and dismisses the effort as “an opportunity squandered” in an op-ed for the New York Times (November 12, 2012).[61] Harold Holzer, co-chair of the Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Foundation and author of more than 40 books, served as a consultant to the film and praises it but also observes that there is “no shortage of small historical bloopers in the movie”