Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 7 2013, 02:51 AM   #31
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Favorite Mirror Universe Episode?

My favorite MU episodes are In A Mirror Darkly, Parts 1 and 2. A close second are Through The Looking Glass and Shattered Mirror for their emotional depth. Don't get me wrong, Mirror, Mirror is a great episode, but it lacks the depth of TTLG and SM.
Ketrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 11:45 PM   #32
USS Excelsior
Commodore

I didn't care too much for DS9's bastardization of the mirror universe with throwing the DS9 elements into the forefront of being on control of it.
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 02:09 AM   #33
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

You mentioned Yesterday's Enterprise in the OP, do alternate timelines count as mirror universes?

I'm not a huge fan of DS9's mirror universe episodes, I would have to say the original TOS ones. I mean, he puts Chekov in the 'Excruciation chamber'. Thanks to that episode, I forever get to say the words 'Excruciation chamber'!
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 02:20 AM   #34
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I actually liked "In a Mirror, Darkly" better than the original "Mirror, Mirror".
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 04:14 PM   #35
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I actually liked "In a Mirror, Darkly" better than the original "Mirror, Mirror".
Agreed

"In A Mirror, Darkly" from the mirror/alternative intro, to the ending with the hot evil Hoshi taking command is quality.

"Mirror, Mirror" for me, after all these years, just seems a bit tame, a bit tired.
Delta Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 04:17 PM   #36
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

Melakon wrote: View Post
I was going to make this a poll but goofed up somewhere, as I didn't get its input screen even though poll was checked (maybe because I didn't preview first).

And the more I watch Mirror, Mirror the more I toy with the idea that the Halkans were somehow controlling the whole thing as a test.
Its always puzzled me why the Halkans arent evil in the mirror universe, maybe your speculation is in fact the reason.
They were controlling it from the beginning
Delta Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 12:05 AM   #37
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Delta Vega wrote: View Post
Its always puzzled me why the Halkans arent evil in the mirror universe, maybe your speculation is in fact the reason.
They were controlling it from the beginning
Actually, humanity is pretty much the only species that is actually different in the mirror universe. Other species, such as the Klingons, Cardassians, etc. are the same.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 07:29 AM   #38
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Mirror, Mirror and In a Mirror Darkly. Both are excellent representations of the Mirror Universe.

DS9 is too much of a niche style setting o do an effective Mirror Universe story. Crossover was ok because it showed consequences of Mirror, Mirror. However after that it just got stupid and silly. Try to contort the Mirror U's premise to fit the tiny niche of DS9 didn't amount to anything.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 07:51 PM   #39
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

˙ǝsɹǝʌıun ɹoɹɹıɯ ǝɥʇ uı ǝʇıɹʍ ʎǝɥʇ ʍoɥ sı sıɥʇ
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 09:12 PM   #40
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

Sector 7 wrote: View Post

It has been awhile since I watched the other Mirror episodes, but my favorite, by a long shot, is Mirror, Mirror from TOS.
This.

The other ones are progressivly horrid, and largely pointless.

The exposition speech that Kira gives in "through the looking glass" about the uprising of Spock and "if anyone should come over from the other side again" is terrible. Makes me cringe every time.
Old June 20 2013, 09:45 PM   #41
Richard Baker
Commander

Like most, I think 'Mirror Mirror' to be to be best and 'In A Mirror, Darkly' a close second. I loved how they not only worked in the USS Defiant but when confronted with the it's advanced technology the only part they truly embraced were the weaponry.
The DS-9 episodes just did not click with me- looked more like an excuse to over-act by the regulars.
I do feel though that the NX should have had more changes to it than just a paint job- something along the lines of the Warship Voyager in 'Living Witness' would have been fun.
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 06:18 AM   #42
TheSubCommander
Captain

For me, basically the same as what most have already said:

Mirror, Mirror is king, IAMD a very close second. The DS9 Mirror Universe episodes just plain stunk.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 02:56 PM   #43
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I will add my general dislike of the DS9 mirror episodes to the pile.

I loved In a Mirror, Darkly.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 03:46 AM   #44
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

DS9's mirror universe was hokey and over the top and mostly used as a playground of disposable versions of the main characters.

ENT's take was awesome but awesome in a fanservice way.

TOS wins.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 10:23 AM   #45
REDrake
Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to REDrake

In a Mirror Darkly does it for me.
Mirror, Mirror comes as a close second, but my issue with it is how quickly Kirk formulates the theory of being in a parallel universe. Those lines kind of felt like artificially put there to make the watcher understand exactly what is happening.

Crossover was pretty good too. The first time I watched that episode in the 90's, I was all over it, as I also remembered the Kirk incident.
I admit, I did not watch the rest of DS9 episodes (I never watched past season 3), so I have no opinions on them.
REDrake is offline   Reply With Quote