Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 1 2013, 02:57 AM   #1
star trek
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looking for book recomendations

I'm looking for any trek novel, story or even a fan fiction (if its any good) for any of the following;

• Exploration of Federation cultures, maybe where a world joins the Federation
  • Anything that reveals or tells more about what happened during the Dominion war
  • An aliens perspective on what they think about the Federation when they first encounter the society. Preferably from a relatively new/unknown species (no Klingons or Romulans)
star trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 03:20 AM   #2
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Re: Looking for book recomendations

Off the top of my head...

• Spock's World, Worlds of Deep Space Nine: (Bajor, Trill, and Andor), and Gemworld 1 and 2
  • Tales of the Dominion War, The Battle of Betazed, Hollow Men, The Gorn Crisis, and the Dominion War doulogy.
  • Not sure about the last question though.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 03:29 AM   #3
JD
Admiral

It doesn't deal with them joining the Federation, but Spock's World is an awesome piece of world building for the Vulcans. But just to warn you it was written in 1988 so it's history doesn't entirely line up with what was revealed in later series. If that doesn't bother you it's definitely worth a read.
If you're interested in ongoing stories, there is a lot of development given to several major worlds in the DS9 Relaunch.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
Off the top of my head...

• Spock's World, Worlds of Deep Space Nine: (Bajor, Trill, and Andor), and Gemworld 1 and 2
  • Tales of the Dominion War, The Battle of Betazed, Hollow Men, The Gorn Crisis, and the Dominion War doulogy.
  • Not sure about the last question though.

And the Tales of the Dominion War anthology, of course.
Old February 1 2013, 10:00 PM   #5
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

I didn't.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 06:56 PM   #6
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
I didn't.

Oops! Somehow I missed that.

Serve me writing for multitasking. (I was probably playing fetch with the cat at the same time!)
Old February 3 2013, 12:36 AM   #7
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

star trek wrote: View Post
I'm looking for any trek novel...
  • An aliens perspective on what they think about the Federation when they first encounter the society. Preferably from a relatively new/unknown species (no Klingons or Romulans)
Perhap's "Uhura's Song" by the late Janet Kagan? A fascinating exploration of a new felinoid race and the build-up of trust necessary in a "first contact" type situation.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 10:56 AM   #8
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

I'll recommend this month's new release, Allegiance in Exile by David R. George III, for a first contact with a species that gains prominence in later Trek series...
Old February 7 2013, 01:57 AM   #9
JD
Admiral

^I still find it funny that this came out just a few days after I said I wanted to see that happen.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 06:30 AM   #10
Sci
Admiral

star trek wrote: View Post
I'm looking for any trek novel, story or even a fan fiction (if its any good) for any of the following;
[LIST][*]Exploration of Federation cultures, maybe where a world joins the Federation
I would recommend the DSN Relaunch. In particular, an examination of what happens when a world joins the Federation occurs in the novels Mission: Gamma, Books I through IV and DSN: Unity. An exploration of different Federation cultures occurs in Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vols. I - II. And the novels A Time to Kill; A Time to Heal; A Time for War, A Time for Peace; Articles of the Federation; and A Singular Destiny all examine the mechanisms of Federation democracy.
Old February 7 2013, 08:32 AM   #11
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

You could read Articles of the Federation, by Keith R.A. DeCandido. The book has a first contact component and delves into Federation Government/Politics.
Old February 9 2013, 11:24 AM   #12
Loskene
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Patrick O'Brien wrote: View Post
You could read Articles of the Federation, by Keith R.A. DeCandido. The book has a first contact component and delves into Federation Government/Politics.
Huh, I just started reading it and I can already tell the author has watched every episode of The West Wing. Nan Bacco is a little too similar to Jed Bartlet right down to the back story.

The character traits of her staff match that of his to varying degree's too. She even has a secretary that is snarky.
Loskene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 06:41 AM   #13
Sci
Admiral

Loskene wrote: View Post
Patrick O'Brien wrote: View Post
Huh, I just started reading it and I can already tell the author has watched every episode of The West Wing. Nan Bacco is a little too similar to Jed Bartlet right down to the back story.

The character traits of her staff match that of his to varying degree's too. She even has a secretary that is snarky.
Hmm. I don't mean to be picking this apart but this inspired me to compare and contrast the characters.

Articles is obviously very West Wing-like, but I don't agree that Bacco as a character is so similar to Bartlet. They're both snarky and have a cantankerous old secretary who's been with them forever, but Bartlet is far more patrician in his manner, whereas Bacco has a very homespun, down-to-earth temperament. I could easily see Bacco calling Bartlet "high-falutin'," but I can't possibly imagine Bacco cursing God out in Latin.

Their backgrounds are only similar insofar as they were both the governors first; Bacco, so far as we know, was not a world-renowned (or, I suppose, quadrant-renowned) economist prior to becoming governor the way Bartlet was, nor did Bacco ever serve on the Federation Council the way Bartlet served in the U.S. House.

KRAD has been pretty frank about saying Bacco was inspired by a combination of former Texas Governor Anne Richards, the late columnist Molly Ivans, the character of Jed Bartlet, and by his late great-grandmother.