Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 31 2013, 05:23 AM   #16
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Re: Weird things we do in our sleep

There are many sleep disorders. I have sleep apnea but hardly ever use my CPAP. So lately I just sleep with a nasal strip over my nose. But I haven't done anything weird per se when i'm sleeping.
Old January 31 2013, 05:26 AM   #17
propita
Rear Admiral

Lol! My parents wedding night was the first time either had shared a bed with anyone. So their wedding night--their very first night of wedded bliss--my dad rolled over in his sleep...and smacked my mom in the face!!

The next night, my mom rolled over in her sleep and smacked him back! She swears she was asleep. Uh huh....

Last edited by propita; February 1 2013 at 12:31 AM.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 06:23 AM   #18
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

I've been told that I talk in my sleep, but in no recognizable language. According to my parents when I was young, it didn't sound like gibberish - it very definitely sounded like I was speaking in proper words and sentences.

The interesting thing about this is that it started happening before I started studying French and German - the only language I spoke at the time was English, and I didn't know anyone who spoke any other languages around me. Our next door neighbours at the time were Greek, but I have no memory of hearing them speak anything other than English.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 06:29 AM   #19
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Captrek wrote: View Post
I sometimes become violent in my sleep, punching or kicking. Fortunately my SO has developed ways to protect herself from my somnambulant strikes while sleeping next to me. Also fortunately, the strikes aren’t all that hard—they can hurt but have never caused injury. They have become much less frequent in the last few years, but still happen from time to time.
I had a friend like that. He was a 7th degree black belt in karate! I always felt sorry for his wife.
Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
There are many sleep disorders. I have sleep apnea but hardly ever use my CPAP. So lately I just sleep with a nasal strip over my nose. But I haven't done anything weird per se when i'm sleeping.
I stopped having dreams several years ago... until my sleep apnea was diagnosed. After using the CPAP, I now dream vividly. I mean, I have those dreams where you wake up surprised to be in this world.
Old January 31 2013, 09:15 AM   #20
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I talk in my sleep, sometimes in Bengali. I also take all the covers if it's cold, push them all on the other person if it's warm, get frisky in my sleep, and occasionally push the other person out of bed.

Maybe it's good I'm sleeping alone!
Old January 31 2013, 10:16 AM   #21
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Kestra wrote: View Post
I talk in my sleep, sometimes in Bengali. I also take all the covers if it's cold, push them all on the other person if it's warm, get frisky in my sleep, and occasionally push the other person out of bed.

It makes you sound like an adorable kitty cat.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 11:37 AM   #22
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

I've been known to talk in my sleep on occasion. I also tend to cry out in my sleep, so I can only assume I'm experiencing heart-pounding adventures in the dream world. A shame I can't remember them.

My sister used to sleep walk, though I never have. Once she was found at the door fiddling with the key, trying to get out of the house.

Last edited by Deranged Nasat; January 31 2013 at 10:53 PM.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 11:54 AM   #23
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Do erections count as "weird" for the purpose of this thread?
Old January 31 2013, 02:42 PM   #24
Avon
Fleet Captain

only if they're an unusual shape

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 02:51 PM   #25
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

I've answered the phone and carried on a conversation in my sleep.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 02:54 PM   #26
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

I toss and turn a lot when I sleep, but always roll in the same direction. Many mornings I wake up cocooned in the duvet while my husband is shivering. He's a very deep sleeper, though, and hardly ever wakes up from the cold.
Old January 31 2013, 07:15 PM   #27
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Kestra wrote: View Post

It makes you sound like an adorable kitty cat.
Old January 31 2013, 08:52 PM   #28
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
I've answered the phone and carried on a conversation in my sleep.
I'm told I used to get up in the middle of the night, dial the phone and give the receiver to my father. Most times it was just a tone, but sometimes it was someone speaking a language he didn't know.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 09:43 PM   #29
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

When I was a kid I would sleep walk frequently, usually just to the foot of my parents' bed and stand there creepily. I also had night terrors for a few years.

Now that I'm older, I have some really strange sleeping positions, but the oddest thing is that sometimes I will go to sleep inside the covers, in a certain position, and then wake up in the middle of the night in the same exact position except on top of the covers. And they are perfectly straightened like the bed has just been made. Usually I wake up from feeling cold, and then I feel confused and freaked out about how I ended up on top of my blankets in the same position, especially since I am a very light sleeper now and even just the cat silently walking into my room wakes me up.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 09:59 PM   #30
RoJoHen
Awesome

sojourner wrote: View Post
Not when I sleep, but...

When I go to bed and am ready to actually sleep, as opposed to reading or some such, I can usually be out within a minute or two at most. The key part is that I have lie down on my stomach, head to one side on the pillow, arms straight at my side with my feet hanging just over the end of the mattress. Pretty much "planking" on the bed. It's the only way I can get to sleep at night. Odd thing is that naps during the day on the couch have no such requirement.
I am exactly the opposite! Planking on my bed is my daytime nap position. I lay down like that and I am out within minutes. If I try it at night, it never works.

My old roommates used to walk past my bedroom during the day to find me planking on my bed and couldn't figure out that I was just taking a nap.